Bumblebee Box Office Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Music, Dec 18, 2018.

1. TommyHawk

TommyHawk Active Member

Except for the Devasticles, that was dynamically swinging I guess. :rolleyes: 

I give the first film some slack....heck even bought the collector's edition Bluray back then....but the rest, there's only so many times you redress a turd. 4 times in this case.

• Like Like x 3
  2. transf0

transf0 “Well Connected” The GOAT

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I believe he's referencing AoE, and saying that that movie was bad but did well in China, while Bumblebee is not doing as well as he hoped there.

3. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    Other fandoms: Oh, cool! We got a really creative and fun movie!

TF fandom: Booh! I don't like creativity. I'm going to try and come up with whatever excuse I can to make TLK out to be bad. I'm glad it's doing bad at the box office!
    Oh, with the Bee movie we got a movie that is catering to me and is getting some real advertisement funding for once?
    Now I'm going to try and sound like the voice of reason and try to make the people who liked what I hate look bad.

• Like Like x 2
  4. unicronic

unicronic Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I don't mind mindless movies there have been movies like that in 2018. One example is Rampage. A lot of fun but a very disposable movie.

I'm pretty forgiving of movies and the Bayverse movies do have their moments but they overstayed their welcome by 2-3 movies. If TF07 has been the only installment then fine but as a series of 5 core movies they suffer from the same problems each time (which I won't repeat).

I think the Bayverse in itself suffers from the problem that has plagued TF media efforts from some time. The people who put the content together just aren't good enough whether its TV or movie. More frustrating is, as a Transformers fan, I'm seeing Marvel consistently knock it out of the park both commercially and critically yet Transformers (until Bumblebee) is critically panned and for reasons I understand. Again, a throwaway movie can still be good and have a serviceable story/plot.

I would very much like to see a Transformers animated series with the same effort and care as we see in, example, the recent Voltron. With Bumblebee being the best TF live action movie to date, we have something positive to build off of.....if Hasbro et al have the courage.

I'm not sure if you are lumping Bumblebee in as being a poor TF movie. If so, then I would say perhaps the preceding Bay movies have just done a number on you (hard to fault that).

Bumblebee is the best live action Transformers movie by far but, more importantly, it is a good movie outright. Really, hindsight makes us all geniuses, this would have been the perfect way to kick off the franchise in 2007 and now could serve a good platform to build off of for future TF movies.

We have 2 directions that the future efforts will follow, one is to try to match or exceed the quality of Bumblebee whereas the other less desirable direction is back to movies 2-5 quality.

• Like Like x 4
  5. electronic456

electronic456 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My bad but that movie occupies the X-Men universe. Otherwise why would stuff like the X-Mansion be a part of the movie?

And he actually has been an X-Men in comics. Come on, this isn't worth the argument.

6. Dinobot Snarl

Dinobot Snarl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think Lorenzo is ruining the good will created by BumbleBee. It's obvious he has, at best, a surface level understanding of Transformers.

Let Travis continue to be the spokesman.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Georgii10235

Georgii10235 A member for fun

News Credits:
    I don't know much about Lorenzo but I think he's just one of those creatives (if you want to call him that, I just refer to people in film as creatives) that act provocative on purpose to get reactions from fans to see what they like or don't like and I don't really blame him for it - although I'm not disagreeing that he seems to have surface level knowledge of Transformers. I'm not sure what the position of producer means in filming but he clearly had very little input in Bumblebee so I doubt he'd affect the future films that much, even if he does it's only for two movies if he's only contracted for 3 more years. I'm pretty sure someone on the forums said Travis Knight would consult future movies but don't take my word for it - I believe he was offered to film more movies if he joined Paramount but he declined to stay with Laika studios.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Dinobot Snarl

Dinobot Snarl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I really hope they can offer Travis the right sum. He gave me hope for the live action franchise.

• Like Like x 3
  9. NemesisPrime12

NemesisPrime12 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If Bee ends up being a huge box office success, I just hope Lorenzo is not stupid enough to declare that Bumblebee is a prequel and makes TLK sequel.

• Like Like x 4
  10. ChaosDonkey

ChaosDonkey Lord Brain

He have his own company to run. So it will not be about money but about time

• Like Like x 1
  11. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    Excellent news.

12. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Pretty much 100% truth.

Well more like 90%. Some folks are really here to just enjoy and have that old school-yard talk about transformers.

But for years it’s more been about pissing on other’s fun.

13. CaptainSlayer

CaptainSlayer "Soundwave just sent out Randal"

I think The Last Knight just sucked. Like bad. It was so choppy and made zero sense while trying to shove literally every single plot line they could think of at you at one time without fleshing any of it out.

But I'm not pissing on anyone's fun by saying that. The movie was trash in my opinion, if others liked it, cool, I'm glad they liked it.

But Bumblebee was a return to form for me. That movie is the jam.

We don't have to like the same things. I mean, hell, we all like Transformers. That's why we're here.

• Like Like x 8
  14. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    The Last Knight was bad. You don’t have to “make it out to be bad” because it simply failed on so many levels and talking about its many, many flaws isn’t pissing on anyone’s fun because it’s simply something that has to be mentioned when discussing most topics regarding the film. That of course doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy it, but that certainly doesn’t make it good.

• Like Like x 17
  15. Stygian360

Stygian360 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just hope the (now inevitable) sequel injects more bots into the story (good guys and bad). If I could level any criticism at Bumblebee that isn't related to the plot or the main protagonists often goofy family, it would be the lack of a fully fleshed out robot cast. I get that they were going for a smallish cast in order to make Bee the focus, but now that we've gotten that out of the way hopefully we can show more bots next time.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    We’re speaking the same language. I hated TLK. But I enjoyed 2007 and DOTM ok. Liked AOR and loathed ROTF. I haven’t actually watched that in years and only upgraded 2007 and DOTM to 4K last year.

The people I was referring to with my statement are the ones who can’t take little victories for what they are - in this particular case with Bee’s small, but steady success. If the movie is getting a 90%+ in Rotten Tomatoes, then it’s “wait, it will go down.”

If it’s grossing well in China, then it’s, “these numbers aren’t real, don’t expect it to remain high.” Or whatever negative nonsense is spouted to basically piss on everyone’s joy.

I get being realists but the narrative plays out more like these people want it to fail.

Can’t tell you how many times I’ve asked, “seriously, why the fuck are you guys on a transformers ‘fan’ board!?”

• Like Like x 6
  17. CaptainSlayer

CaptainSlayer "Soundwave just sent out Randal"

Ah, ok, rad. Sorry I misinterpreted your message a bit.

Dark of the Moon is still my favorite Transformers film right beside the 1986 film. Revenge of the Fallen actually grew on me after watching Age of Extinction and then The Last Knight.

But yeah, I don't get that mentality at all. It happens here, it happens in gaming, it happens in film and it happens with TV - people just want to be pissed off and complain while pushing their opinions as fact.

I own The Last Knight and Age of Extinction physical. The Last Knight is 4K. The only reason I got them is because I have a shelf dedicated to Transformers media and the collector bug kicked in.

When I bought TLK 4K, I literally popped it in, skipped through the movie to say "Oh wow, Optimus is really pretty" and then turned it off lol.

Just let people enjoy what they enjoy and if you're miserable discussing the topic, don't discuss it. I'm with you but the internet will be the internet. :p 

• Like Like x 1
  18. GirlBot

GirlBot Mini-Cassette

News Credits:
    I think it's more the issue of wrong time & place and uncultured discussion practices. On the example of TLK. When someone makes a thread on the role of Unicron in TLK, butting in with the entire list on why the movie is bad is pretty rude and derails the actual topic. Such subjects would be better at home in a review thread or a thread on what to improve or what I hate about this movie or any other topic that fits. When someone makes a thread on why TLK should be the last movie in the series (kill it now, please), they would be expecting replies that engage the subject or discuss it. Posting dismissal and insults in such thread only because you disagree would also be rude and not on topic. It's almost as if people forgot how to have a conversation on a subject and how it differs from posting opinions. Or, heck, even entertaining the notion that opinions are subjective and differ from person to person. Same with passive-agression of some of the commenters. When you mention one thing, they jump at you with another completely unrelated to your post, because they have to share their frustrations regardless if the other party is interested or not. It's like throwing apples at someone who discusses oranges in peace, only because you like apples/dislike oranges. Time and place. There will be discussions on oranges only, on apples only and on both oranges and apples. It's your job to know the difference, but some people simply don't. Instead they post whatever comes to their mind, even if it doesn't add anything to the topic and serves only to derail the thread.

19. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oops. I did get AOE and TLK in 4K also. TLK because it was the first transformers movie to come to 4K and HDR. AOE because I did think the Autobot interaction was improved over the previous movies :) 

• Like Like x 2
  20. User_124141

User_124141 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The movie desrves the best for it\'s high quality