Bumblebee Box Office Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Music, Dec 18, 2018.

1. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I kind of wonder with too damn many streaming services now if people might decide it's easier to just watch something at the theater instead of having to pick up and cancel subscription services just to keep up with the big movies. I'm thinking of the three movies I've seen recently that all three movies are going to end up on different streaming services.

• Like Like x 1
  2. emoo

emoo Well-Known Member

As far as video games go it will mean next to nothing. A decent transformers game has not happened in years on consoles and it seems like no company is in a hurry to make any other than mobile games anymore no matter the brands status.

Some like mobile games and that's fine but they are not really my thing when the majority of what you do usually involves taping a corner of a screen having a bot walk itself over to an enemy where they shoot automatically at each other until the weaker one is destroyed.

That's not playing a game it is watching a game play itself.

The ones I find even more annoying are the swiping ones where you are too busy moving your hands around on the screen to even watch much of what's going on

• Like Like x 1
  3. BIGGUY007

BIGGUY007 Well-Known Member

I have seen both movies and I will say that I\'m not surprised by this announcement at all.

4. Deadend

Deadend Spark of Creation

News Credits:
    While profits are a big thing everyone wants, I wouldn't worry too much about people who pull the strings on this one. Worry more about how the next ones do. Funding-wise, it'd take 3 more consecutive misfires of losses in both merchandising and box office before you need to worry. (All data assuming after this one, but this one has incomplete data anyway and can still break even. Though has in other ways already anyway.)

The people that pull the strings want a good movie, but yeah, do want a good movie that also pulls in revenues. But as long as merchandising does okay, it's still done its job. Pricey commercial for toys, but still maintains brand awareness and presence in the market. Right now, this is more filed under a transitional phase. If the next ones don't do well though, then it'll mean more emphasis on anything else that is doing well that's in the works right now. From about 2014 to present, it's been relatively a clogged up system that needs an overhaul anyway. But the brand as a whole is going to be fine, right now it's only growing pains as transitional stages are still in play and other hiccups haven't been fixed yet for the full overhaul, those are in the process of being rectified still.

But I'm also indifferent, all 3 movies being successful this holiday season is fine by me, and I'm glad all 3 are getting massive heaps of praise and love.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Waterboy is the prequel to Aquaman.

6. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Dukeup Nukhead

News Credits:
    They say the definition of insanity is doing the same thing multiple times and expecting different results.

That's exactly what you're saying - that if the films continue to not do well, that it would take three consecutive failures to stop what already is blatantly a struggling franchise? Paramount got blindsided hard by TLK! I do not think they could survive three more TLK-scale failures!

7. drbeakman

drbeakman Well-Known Member

What reasons? Who are you? Where do these sweeping statements you make backed with no sources come from? I'm really genuinely curious

This is the same trouble I'm having... the marketing really didn't show just how different this movie is! It's a shame, because at my early screener, there were kids of all ages, and they all seemed to love it

i notice a lot of judgement about that, and it kind of annoys me! one of the first things i noticed about how special this movie is, is how universal and non-gender driven it was, despite a female face as the lead. there isnt an ounce of political posturing in this movie, which is actually kind of special given the climate we're in today!

this honestly sounds like the best of all worlds! anybody out there listening...?

when your movies are slammed for a decade, maybe some good critical reviews at the expense of mega bucks isnt such a bad idea?

it really feels like this movie can become a cult classic. even though its way beyond cult right now, it has that vibe to it.

• Like Like x 2
  8. popcorn

popcorn Well-Known Member

I think one of the problems BB has is a lack of focus as in what is it trying to accomplish? It's not really but sort of a reboot, it's sort of a prequel but parts are inconsistent for a true prequel, it mixes G1 and movie aesthetics, It's theme is sort of a remake of TF 2007 and it throws in ET/Iron Giant into the mix. Has a been there, done that feel.

• Like Like x 1
  9. bonewire

bonewire Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    One thing I’ve noticed in my hometown, it’s in small theaters, and not enough of them. Each viewing, all of the good seats sell out. Most of our theaters have reserved seating. Aquaman and Mary Poppins are getting the bigger theaters. Shit Spider-Man is still in more theaters than bumblebee, I blame paramount. They made a good movie. The theater average is high. It’s predicted to do another 20 million this weekend. But, bad marketing, going up against 2 superhero films was stupid.

• Like Like x 1
  10. PopCulturePooka

PopCulturePooka Longest running avatar

News Credits:
    Well that's silly and childish.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Decepticon Miner

Decepticon Miner Banned

News Credits:
    I think he’s the same person that yelled at a moderator, said he had connections with Paramount & he works on the films. I also think someone made a whole thread dedicated to him and it was taken down. If I remember correctly.

12. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Well-Known Member

If this was the first movie since DOTM, we'd be in a better situation.

• Like Like x 1
  13. PopCulturePooka

News Credits:
    Going to the movies tomorrow with family, because we all have a rare day off on the same day.
    The choice is Aquaman or Bumblebee.
    Mum wants Aquaman because while she generally hates big action movies, she loves Momoa.
    Dad wants Aquaman because he thinks the effects and settings look amazing and he thinks Transformers movies are terrible after being burnt twice with RotF and DotM.

I'm also choosing Aquaman.

Get over it. Stop being childish.

Nah it means you trying to retell a joke no one laughed at the first time.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
  14. YoungPrime

YoungPrime DJD VET

News Credits:
    Not seeing BumbleBay and I'm not supporting Aquaman either due to WB playing the same stupid games with Live action comicbook films that should be Avengers quality. But instead are just goofy disappointments.

The movie ticket I likely get will be for Captain Marvel.

15. myrrh

myrrh Knell-Mown Wember

News Credits:
    ...marvel also created the toyline's premise, factions, and characters; wrote all the tech specs, created the mythology and backstory, invented cybertron and the great war; essentially performed all the creative work under contract to facilitate marketing a bunch of imported toy robots hasbro wanted to resell...

...marvel were very good at what they did, as were takara, and their partnership bore outstanding success for about three years until hasbro executives decided they could make more money by bringing the creative work in-house and micromanaging the process...

• Like Like x 3
  16. PopCulturePooka

News Credits:
    Oh, a few days ago at work I was having a lunch room conversation with some younger co-workers, mid 20's. They were discussing new movies and what to see. Bumblebee came up. Because the marketing mainly focuses on the word Bumblebee and not Transformers, these people actually had no idea Bumblebee was a Transformers movie. Having mostly ignored the previous few Bay flicks, the TF movies and characters blurred out of these peoples memories. When I reminded them that yes, BBee WAS a TF movie, they were all kind of surprised for a bit.
    My late 20's cousin with two young kids did the same on Christmas day.

I think, weirdly, that is another flaw with the movie. A lot of the general audience might actually not be hugely aware that Bee is a TF movie. For a lot of people it's a bit hard to keep up with it all. We're talking the people that think Batman, Spiderman, Superman are all basically interchangeable. That forgot that Logan was an X-men movie. That think that all the constant Spiderman reboots are still part of the same series and get confused why things seems so different.

• Like Like x 5
  17. Decepticon Miner

Decepticon Miner Banned

News Credits:
    That’s why I should think the word “Transformers” is above “Bumblebee” on the poster in small font, it would just be more clear, make more sense.

18. GirlBot

GirlBot Mini-Cassette

News Credits:
    It doesn't. Recent studies show there's not much of an impact on the tickets sales (I've seen somewhere an article by a notable paper on that subject - Forbes maybe). The people are merely more picky and proper advertising does matter.

Plus last year The Last Jedi made 620M, Jumanji made 400M, The Greatest Showman made 175M and Ferdinand made 84M competing directly against each other (that's 1.279B at BO from December releases alone). In October there were Thor: Ragnarok -- 315M, Coco -- 209M, Wonder, Daddy’s Home 2 and Murder on the Orient Express all making over 100M (that's around 824M in total).

Moreover, how can we talk about cinema decline, when:
    IMAX Earns First $1B Year - BoxOffice Pro
    Disney Breaks Record For Best Domestic Box Office in a Calendar Year - BoxOffice Pro
    The Reckoning: Why the Movie Business Is in Big Trouble
    Record Box Office In 2018 Will Drive Returns For Movie Theater Stocks
    Worldwide Box Office Poised For Record $41.7B In 2018: ComScore

People are going to cinema, however, they are very selective to what movies they go to. If a movie is mediocre why bother going to cinema?

• Like Like x 3
  19. AnnaLK

AnnaLK Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wow! This is very interesting! Thank you!

20. Enigma2K2

Enigma2K2 Robot In Disguise TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You must be the sole Aquaman fan on the board. What, did I offend you or something?
    To be fair, Aquaman has been a long running joke in the comics community for years. DC's KO Sub Mariner. That's what makes his movie being good so surprising. And also pretty damn ironic seeing how DC's cinematic universe hitched their wagons to the big two initially, and what movies wind up performing well for them? Wonder Woman... and Aquaman. And again, Aquaman... was good?

What I'm trying to say is, dude... don't be a dick. I was just having some fun. Lay off.

• Like Like x 2