Bumblebee and Iron Giant

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by DouglasQuad1981, Jun 4, 2020.

1. DouglasQuad1981

DouglasQuad1981 Banned

Would you say Bumblebee is the closet thing to a live action Iron Giant movie?

2. Cliffjumper

Cliffjumper Least insane TF fan

News Credits:
    Travis knight and crew stated multiple times that it was kinda like iron giant.

At least I think they did, 2018 was weird.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sablebot

Sablebot #thinkitaintillegalyet

Travis did mention that.

4. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Bounty Hunter

News Credits:
    Yeah, in a sense. The comparisons are certainly there, and Iron Giant was directly stated as an inspiration.

Although I would also say it's important to distinguish that Bumblebee is inspired by Iron Giant, but shouldn't be considered an adaptation or replacement by any means. One important aspect of the Iron Giant was its commentary and satire on the Cold War during the '50s, and our distrust of anything foreign. Bumblebee touches on those things, but they're not major themes. The Cold War angle isn't a satire or commentary in Bumblebee, it just serves as motivation for Sector 7 to work with the Decepticons. Similarly, something like Star Wars took inspiration from Flash Gordon, but is still 100% its own experience. Iron Giant takes from Superman. Everything borrows from something, that's how art gets made.

I say this because I've seen people act like Bumblebee is bad because "it's too close to The Iron Giant". By that logic Batman must be bad because it takes so heavily from Zorro. If Bumblebee didn't take from Iron Giant, it would have taken from something else. That's just how storytelling works. Unless something is blatantly plagiarizing or a certain story is just overdone, taking inspiration from something should be seen as a positive thing.

• Like Like x 5
  5. Tetratron

Tetratron AEColyte

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    You could easily say both are pulling from, or less charitably, "ripping off" E.T. but then again the "boy/girl and their X' didn't really start with E.T. either.

Only thing in BB I felt veered to close to Iron Giant was when Bee went into his red-eyes "Kill Everything" mode, but even then the context is a bit different from Iron Giant.

• Like Like x 1