Scratch Builds: Building Weapons with Wikkid (Archival)

Discussion in 'Tutorials and How Tos' started by Wikkid, Oct 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wikkid

Wikkid Completely retired customizer

Here's how I build a hand held weapon. (AKA Blaster pistol)

[​IMG]
    ^^I start by grabbing a bunch of extra crap out of my parts bin. I need to build two identical weapons so there's two of everything.

[​IMG]
    ^^The parts I'm using are: Alternators prime gun. Half of G1 Breakdowns car mode guns. One of Alternator tracks missiles. and a smoke stack from MP prime.
    I cut everything as shown with the dremel and level them with sandpaper. I also notch out the bottom side of the Tracks missile so it wraps around the weapon core.

[​IMG]
    ^^While those are glued and drying, I cut and notch the smoke stack so it resembles a brace.

[​IMG]
    ^^Shaved the "Viper" markings and everything is ready for prep. With this blaster, I wanted it to resemble a double barreled sawed-off shotgun.

[​IMG]
    ^^Here they are painted in their ground coat. I'll highlight them later.

[​IMG]
    ^^Be sure your figure can hold his new weapon otherwise you'll need to mod the handle.

Here's how to scratchbuild a riffle type weapon.

[​IMG]
    ^^Start off with several random sized styrene tubes that fit snug within each other.

[​IMG]
    ^^The smallest tube will be your barrel core. The other two tubes will thicken up the barrel tip. Notice the tubes get smaller as they get bigger. These will offset the tip so it tappers from wide to small.

[​IMG]
    ^^Drop some filler on it........

[​IMG]
    ^^.....and carve it down and sand it out to a point.

[​IMG]
    ^^Moving further back I'm building a bullet chamber. I glue two small tubes about yay far apart.

[​IMG]
    ^^ I now take a larger tube and drill both ends, then slice a groove between the two.

[​IMG]
    ^^ Now I install the bullet chamber and throw in the cocking mechanism in place.

[​IMG]
    ^^Now it's time to add some square paneling and the handles. Some parts are angled to mix it up a bit.

[​IMG]
    ^^Now this piece can either be a silencer or a grenade launcher. I use the larger tube and measure it out equally then drill through both sides.

[​IMG]
    ^^It ends up looking like this.

[​IMG]
    ^^Now the arm rest is in place, the grenade launcher attached and reinforced, the magazine clip is put in place and I build a scope.

[​IMG]
    The scope is now attached and the magazine is in place. It's a removable spare tire and is intended to look like a Cybertronian version of a Tommy gun. The scope is also meant to look vintage.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2013
  2. Wikkid

How to build a Gatling gun.

[​IMG]
    ^^I start with several small rods and a very large rod to encompass them.

[​IMG]
    ^^Assembled, it looks like this. Be sure everything is spaced properly.

[​IMG]
    ^^You can scratchbuild the rest of the chamber or.........

[​IMG]
    ^^.....attach it to something pre-existing.

[​IMG]
    ^^Attach an ammo belt an off you go.

I don't know what a rail gun is so this is based on that gun mounted on the battleship from ROTF

[​IMG]
    Start with some equally sized pieces of styrene.

[​IMG]
    ^^Angle your cut like this.

[​IMG]
    ^^Slice them carefully.

[​IMG]
    ^^Glue the two pieces together at a 45 degree angle. (Make two sets) Get some small rods roughly the same size.

[​IMG]
    ^^This is just a quick mock-up but they end up something like this. You'll need the invent the rest of the weapon body but this is a decent starting point.

3. Wikkid

Here's an example of how I would build a sword type weapon. They can be done in multiple pieces or in a single strip of styrene. I'm only doing a single strip as an example as building the other version takes a loooooong time. Besides, this'll make for a better guide should you end up in prison and need to sharpen your toothbrush.

[​IMG]
    ^^First you need to decide if you want a double edged sword.......

[​IMG]
    ^^ ......... or a single. I'm going with a single as this is an example piece and not for any particular project. Start by drawing out your edges.

[​IMG]
    ^^Using masking tape, tape your longest edge.

[​IMG]
    ^^Using a straight block and sandpaper, cut away at the edge as though you're sharpening an actual knife. Be sure to have the proper angle as you sand as the tape will keep the grit from filing away the material under it but it can only take so much. Also, only sand it down to the halfway point. You/ll need to do the same to the other side.

[​IMG]
    ^^Now set up for the second edge.

[​IMG]
    ^^Once finished, get a handle shield built in any style you like. This is just a basic octagon shape.

[​IMG]
    ^^Now stick a handle on it that fits into the figures hand.

[​IMG]
    ^^Prep it and paint it. This ones scaled for a deluxe class. In the hands of something bigger, it could pass as a regular knife.

[​IMG]
    ^^Shown above is a multi-paneled multi-edged sword. Every angle is created by several individual pieces. This is necessary when building such a larger weapon as it keeps the weight down being that the entire thing is hollow.

4. Wikkid

Here's how I build a shoulder mounted RPG.

[​IMG]
    ^^I start with another handful of crap from my parts drawer.

[​IMG]
    ^^You can get bulk supplies of bombs, missiles an whatnot from your local hobby shop to go with various scales.

[​IMG]
    ^^I cut the bomb down so it's just the tip and the tail section. This will be the layout.

[​IMG]
    ^^Glue the two sections together and notch the inside of the upper piece so it fits the tubular shape of the weapon body otherwise it'll look odd.

[​IMG]
    ^^Clamp till dry. Prepare the targeting mechanism by shaving its base to fit.

[​IMG]
    ^^The launcher body is drilled and a styrene tube fit in place. The rear of the missile is also drilled so they snap together. Don't glue the missile in place and you can make a bunch of different attachments for this piece.

[​IMG]
    ^^Now we need to make a clip to attach the weapon to the figure. I've used the yellow tube on the right (Or something similar) in the past to attach to shoulder rods, but in the case of a re-shell, you can fab a quick clip with styrene.

[​IMG]
    ^^Cut that styrene length into three pieces.

[​IMG]
    ^^Glue together like this.

[​IMG]
    ^^Basically, the shoulder launcher just clips onto the car bodies cowl section.

[​IMG]
    ^^Above is a variation of this design I used before.

5. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    images

more

more!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.