BT-22 Convoy

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by deejemon, Oct 6, 2008.

1. deejemon

deejemon Active Member

As previously reported, Convoy comes in a traditional Binaltech styled box, but a super-sized version, to accommodate his larger bulk.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The box includes the usual design elements, including a rear panel touting his features. On the bottom of the box (not pictured), is another part in the "Unfinished Business" chapter of the Binaltech story. I'm looking forward to a translation at some point (as well as one for BT-21 Arcee). Like BTs 19-21 (and 17-18 as well, really), there is no collectors card or fancy booklet, just a simple transformation instruction sheet. There is no surfboard/sword, nor a girlie.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

He's exactly the same weight as BT-17 Black Convoy, 693grams (about 1.5lb). Aside from the weight, vehicle mode is basically indistinguishable from Kiss Players Convoy, featuring the chromed grille and body-colored rear tray. In line with the other recent batch of Binaltech figures, his rear license plate is the car manufacturer, rather than the character name; thus he has DODGE in white lettering on a black plate.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Transformation is obviously the same as the 4 other uses of this mold. His deco is based on that for Kiss Players Convoy, but has a more traditional color spread, with red arms, blue hands and blue eyes rather than the blue, black and yellow (respectively) of the KP.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Kiss Players Convoy (left), Binaltech Convoy (middle) and Alternators Optimus Prime (right)

Late-run Binaltechs: BTs 19-22.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The requisite die-cast Convoy comparo.

[​IMG]

Good Things:
    • Die-cast
    • Kiss Players-based deco (rather than Alternators-based)
    • ... but improved with more traditional upper-body coloring
    • Separating the tray from the cab and extending it to form his legs was easier than many versions of this mold - no fear that I was going to end up with one half of him in one hand, and the other half in the other hand (see also: G1 Mirage)
    • MUCH cheaper and more obtainable than BT-17

Bad Things:
    • One door fell off really quickly, bounced onto my tiled floor (fortunately no damage to it)
    • One of the halves of the rear tailgate is very floppy. Not a big deal as it's either linked to the half that isn't floppy in vehicle mode, or it's under his foot in robot mode
    • The thigh panels lock into place over a tab on his upper leg; slightly wider gapping on one of his legs made it hard to get the thigh panel into place. This might be just mine.
    • It didn't feel quite as "together" as BT-17 Black Convoy.

All up, it's a mighty fine piece. It's got the die-cast of BT-17, without the insane price tag. It's got the deco that the Alt and the KP missed the target on, it's painted, so doesn't come up translucent like the Alt. I think the TakTom quality might be down a bit as they're winding the series up - it's not like they screwed it up, but the fit just seems down. It's just a shame this figure didn't come out earlier as intended, back when it was going to follow BT-16 Skids, because it strikes me as the way it was always supposed to be. So it's a nice way to finish off the line.

If you don't have a Dodge Ram Convoy or Optimus Prime figure, or you have one but it's the Alternator, definitely get this. If you missed out on BT-17, this is a nice substitute - you could grab an extra and paint up your own (some clever Radicon should go into business selling custom Binaltech Black Convoys). If you have the Kiss Player, well, you could probably live without it, but really, can you call that living? :D 

Last edited: Oct 24, 2008
  2. flamingunicron

flamingunicron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    any difference between this and kissplayers?

3. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If you can only own one of this mold, this looks like the one to have.

4. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    die cast

5. rherk

rherk KNERDOUT

Ebay:
    Thanks for the review. I'm very excited for this one and my pre-order just came in. So, I should have mine in about a week or so. Now, I just hope for a BT Mirage.

6. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    Great review. My order should be arriving soon. I've been waiting for it since April!

7. Sentinel

Sentinel TF Museum Curator Moderator

News Credits:
    Gonna have to wait for mine for a bit it looks like. I pre-ordered from TFsource and I think they are still getting things squared away after their move. I guess in the meantime I will juts have to content myself w/ my BT-17 (ok shameless bragging, but I spent a lot of $$ on that guy so I think I am entitled). I am curious to see how Prime looks all painted up and non-crappy like the Alt version. Oh well, they will have them shipping out soon enough I am sure.

8. cryo_vector

cryo_vector Alt./Binaltech Mechanic

I am looking forward to getting mine as well, however I do prefer the yellow eyes of Kiss Convoy.....they r a nice nod to G-1 prime. Does this release have the issue of the hood not resting the way it should??

9. nemesisconvoy

nemesisconvoy Gundam Pilot

I am in agreement

10. rherk

rherk KNERDOUT

Ebay:
  11. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    Received mine from Carlos today. Very nice.

12. RobotoChan

RobotoChan Nothing to see here

News Credits:
    Finally gave in and opened one of mine today.

My god - its so heavy :) 

I love it.

13. rherk

rherk KNERDOUT

Ebay:
    I think this was an underappreciated mold but I think once you get the BT version you realize how massive and wonderful it is.

14. Crazy Fool

Crazy Fool I'm Not What I Seem

Yeah, I received mine today in the mail and couldn't believe how deliciously hefty this guy was. Glad I ordered two!

15. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    Got mine yesterday, and wow is it heavy.
    After some initial confusion with the arms during the transformation I got him into robot mode, and wow...he's definatly my favourite Prime I have. I think he's very underrated.

16. Mixmaster

Mixmaster 4F 68 A0 54 69 74 73 21

News Credits:
    No major problems; one door has thinner paint and one of the tailgates quite floppy though.

This guy's even more of a pain in the arse to transform than his Alternator cousins, since I was worrying about paint chips; I'm glad I didn't open Black Convoy and try to transform him.

17. FallenWarrior10

FallenWarrior10 Crazed clown!

As a proud owner of BT-17, I can tell you the BT-22 has just as much diecast as Black Convoy, and in my opinion is the best looking Binal/Alt Optimus I have seen. Almost didn't buy him, but now I'm glad I did.