Broken X-Transbots Apollyon

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Omagon, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Omagon

Omagon Member

Hello everyone,

Ive got a recently puruchased X-Transbots Apollyon that unfortunately broke at the waist. I'm curious to find if anyone else had had this issue, and if so, were you able to fix it?

It's such a wonderful figure I don't want to end up tossing it out, or gluing it and making it un-transformable. Unfortunately I can no longer return the figure as I've had him too long.

Any advice?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Kirby0189

Kirby0189 Soundpost

Ouch. Can you maybe take a pic of where it broke exactly? I can't tell from these pics.

3. Omagon

Omagon Member

Heres a better look.

The waist connection consists of just this small peg. Skinny end attaches to the upper torso, while the Fat end sits loose inside the waist/hip socket allowing for the rotation of the upper body. The break occurred where the skinny part connects to the upper torso.

[​IMG]

4. Electro Rush

Electro Rush Just a guy waiting for the perfect Whirl

News Credits:
    You should ask in the figure's thread in the 3rd party forum.

5. jbwkkl

jbwkkl Wrecker for life

I don't own Apollyon, so I'm not sure if this is even going to work..

But could you open his lower torso? I'm thinking that if you drill a small hole through the part that broke off, you could put a small, flat-headed, bolt through it. you could then place a nut inside to torso to keep the pin in place. wouldn't require gluing and would still allow for waist rotation.

6. Big Hache

Big Hache Perfect

News Credits:
    So I haven't had this issue with Apollyon, however it does not look to be necessarily an easy fix. I could model a replacement piece, Shapeways's Black Acrylic material should work fine, but that hip assembly seems to be held entirely together with knurled pins.

Short answer: Fixable, yes
    Skill level: Moderate

That would be "A" way.

Drilling a hole in the piece that broke and using a screw and maybe a flat washer to allow rotation and not let the screw eat into the plastic might be a better way. And disassembling the lower torso looks to be much less of a headache.

7. decor1

decor1 Unknown Member

Mine broke in the exact same place (only half of the mushroom peg broke, though). I purchased mine from TF Source, so I contacted them, and they were able to sell me a new mid torso and waist assembly for $15. It does require some disassembly of the figure, but nothing too difficult. For reference, this occurred about six months after I purchased it (past the warranty period). Where did you buy it from?

8. Omagon

Omagon Member

I also purchased mine from TFsource. I contacted them and their response was: "We were unable to find replacement parts in our 'donor' pool. Sorry we couldn't help you with this issue".

So maybe they're only able to sell the parts if they have them?

9. Omagon

Omagon Member

The screw & washer fix was going to be my next move. It makes the most sense. Problem is that I cant forsee taking apart the hip assembly without destroying it and theres no way to wedge a screw in their without gouging the plastic. If I could make an exact replica of the mushroom peg, I'm pretty sure I could get it back in place and then just glue it to the upper torso? Tho I'm not confident any glue would give me the stability I need....

10. decor1

decor1 Unknown Member

Hmm, and I thought they got the part directly from XTransbots. Sorry to hear, man :( 

11. Alpha_&_Omega

Alpha_&_Omega From the Covenant of Primus...

Bummer. You might want to try posting in the custom section for a fix. disassembly/ reassemble & modification is the M.O. there.

12. Big Hache

Big Hache Perfect

News Credits:
    I don't think gluing will give the desired stability.

I can't tell where the breakage occurred, can this happen? Even if the stem of the mushroom were shorter than flush inside the bottom of the torso it may still work.

[​IMG]

This would require disassembling the torso. There's a video on that. If you thread the mushroom first, you should be able to open the front of the hip and wedge something to hold it in place just enough to get the screw started. Still not saying it would be fast or easy but I think it's doable to save the figure.

Attached Files:

13. kenmasters34

kenmasters34 Well-Known Member

Try 5-second fix at walmart($10). I have had good luck with some plastics and 5 second fix.

14. JBrock

JBrock Well-Known Member

I have an extra torso. Let me check to see if it has what you need tomorrow at my office.

• Like Like x 1
  15. JBrock

JBrock Well-Known Member

Abs are permanently attached to the hips/crotch. I had a hip tabbing problem so Eddie at Toy Dojo sent me a replacement. You can swap yours out and maybe have better luck with the hips. PM me if you want it.

• Like Like x 1
  16. cj37a

cj37a Well-Known Member

HA! This happened on my Hasbro G1 Megatron many many years ago
    Same solution...

17. StarFire_MK2

StarFire_MK2 'Till All are One!

Ebay:
    Try eBay. I know several companies made metal replacements for various MP-09 defects, and they work amazing.

The bolt idea is a good one.

I can't see the broken part well enough to tell, but is it something you could epoxy back together with high-quality (i.e., not Home Despot/Rona/Walmart crap) 2-part epoxy? Rock and gem stores often have the best stocks of such material, as do good model stores.

18. Omagon

Omagon Member

This is exactly the type of solution I was thinking of doing.

19. BAD187

BAD187 Banned

Can't believe xtb didn't think of this themselves. I wouldn't buy shit from xtb if I had a problem like this, even with their cyclonus looking as good as he does.

20. Dealer Destro

Dealer Destro Btchin rckstr frm M.A.R.S