Britain's youngest Euromillions winner planning to sue Lottery bosses for 'ruining' her life

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Metroplex79, Feb 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Metroplex79

Metroplex79 Hey mouse, say cheese!

ARTICLE: Britain's youngest Euromillions winner planning to sue Lottery bosses for 'ruining' her life

There we have it, entitlement at it's finest.

I'm sure the opinions on the boards will vary greatly, let's see what they are...

• Like Like x 2
  2. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde Ape sovereign

News Credits:
    Looks like a spoiled brat, sounds like a spoiled brat, I'm going to guess that she's a spoiled brat.

The entitlement of this woman is off the charts. If she hates having that money so much why doesn't she give it to charity or do something useful with it? I know there's plenty of people in the world who'd enjoy having that money.

Rather than take responsibility, she's gonna blame someone else. Color me surprised.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
    • Like Like x 4
  3. TFXProtector

TFXProtector TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Entitled? Perhaps, but some of what she's saying is true. A 16 year old shouldn't have the burden of millions of dollars (in this case, pounds) on their shoulders. 18 is still too young for plenty of life choices, but 16 must be insurmountable.

Would it be great to have that kind of money to pay off debts and help others? Sure. Would it come with serious obligations and people doing the whole "Keep your friends close, keep your enemies closer" thing? Yes.

Being financially comfortable and having a pile of money heaped upon you overnight are two totally different things. I admit she does sound entitled and a lot of people would KILL for what she has, but what if she's right? She's not the only lottery winner to find out those dollars might fill your bank account but leave you emptied out and hollow.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It sounds like she's had the money just long enough to forget how important having money is.

She ought to go back to her old life and see how long she lasts before she really wishes she could win the lottery...

• Like Like x 4
  5. TFXProtector

TFXProtector TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I don't suing the lottery is the right thing to do, but she makes some valid points. I'm seeing salty comments here out of jealousy. I've yet to see any comments with some form of compassion.

I think they should set up a trust for younger winners, give them a stipend with support like she's receiving, then once they reach a certain age, release the funds into their possession in full.

And we don't know what she's done with the money. We don't know if she's been charitable, perhaps we don't know her whole story.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Some other time..

News Credits:
    I'm sure to most people this seems ridiculous, but I can understand what she means. Money doesn't buy happiness, and with the amount she's aquired there is no longing or work for anything else in life. If she wants it she can have it, and thats it for everything. She even stated that herself. I also agree with her that giving a person that young that much money could ruin their life, not financially of course. I'm not aure a lawsuit is exactly the way to go, but the age does need to be bumped up. A 16 year old is still a kid, and no amount of financial guidance can change that.

You can call her an entitled brat all you want, but she's in a different postion and has a valid point.

• Like Like x 2
  7. 3.8TransAM

3.8TransAM Banned

This is what happens as school systems erode, parents who don't parent and entitlement that blames others for your own faults.

That was roughly 2.4 million US dollars in 2003. That dumbass pissed away an amount where she could be living nicely off of interest only and keeping the principle intact.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Venixion

Venixion Its always the middle of the night in Moonside

News Credits:
    What a dumb shit. Words cannot begin to describe. So it's the lottery's fault that she doesn't know how to handle money? She could have saved for college, put it away for a rainy day, use it to buy insurance, car and a house when she's old enough and all she can do is bitch and sue and point fingers at everyone except where the blame truly belongs. Herself.

There's no defending this spoiled dumb ass.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I do kind of feel bad for her, and I agree with her that she was too young to win, but she plainly says "she had become bored of relentless consumption and felt like it failed to offered long-term genuine happiness," which sure makes it sound like she just blew it on stuff for herself and has not been charitable with it.

No one told her that stuff wouldn't make her happy, I guess, or if they did, she didn't believe them. So yeah, I think she was too young (read: too immature), and I feel sorry for her.

But not too sorry.

• Like Like x 2
  10. User_93049

User_93049 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    #firstworldproblems

11. Venixion

Venixion Its always the middle of the night in Moonside

News Credits:

The lotto people did not force her to buy a ticket. She made that choice. She made the choice to be irresponsible with it. She was the one who fed her own belief that money is everything.

It's not about spiteful jealousy, it's about being stunned by the sheer stupidity, nerve and lack of self awareness this girl possesses. Or rather doesn't possess and how she Dares to point the finger at others and try to make herself a victim.

It's like being given a car as a gift for getting your license and then blaming and suing your parents because you decided to drive recklessly and got in a car crash.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    Agreed.

There's First World problems and then there's this. Can only SMH at this young lady and her story.

13. Goaliebot

Goaliebot All Makes and Models

News Credits:
    Tell people that the money didn't bring you happiness, and that at 16 you were too young and impulsive to manage it? Sure.

Sue the lottery company? No.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Stryker055

Stryker055 Trying my best here!

Ebay:
    I don't disagree that the age limit might ought to be bumped up a bit, and to a degree I do feel sorry for her for her mistakes, but she's got absolutely no standing for a lawsuit. End of the day, her actions were her own. If you're 16 and you buy a kitchen knife from Walmart and then you stab someone to death with it, it's not Walmart's fault.

15. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    In all honesty? I might not agree with her approach, but I get where she's coming from. Lots of studies show that after winning the lottery, many people are worse off than they were before they won a few years later. Winning the lottery brings leeches out of the shadows, and makes people look towards a lifestyle that isn't really sustainable, especially if they don't have sound money management skills.

When I was a teenager, the guy across the street from us won over 2million in the lottery. Within 2 years he had killed himself.

• Like Like x 3
  16. JaZzPrImE74

JaZzPrImE74 Sub to my YT Supreme J

News Credits:
    1st world problems at its finest.
    And instead of blowing the money on her self maybe giving some to charity and the poor would make her feel better. Is is nice getting a new purse,wallet etc? Yes, but nothing brings pure happiness then helping out someone that don't have a roof to live under. If I win the lottery first thing I'm doing is giving back to those in needs then being selfish and spending it in myself.

17. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I don't even know if it's that easy. You get that money, people are going to look at you differently. "Well why'd you give it away to those strangers? *I* could have used it! It's not like you earned it! How could you waste such a gift that way? Look at how foolish money made you!" It doesn't help that the lottery likely won't be inclined to let you accept your winnings anonymously, or without fanfare.

Hell, maybe it's even worse than that. Maybe it changes how you look at yourself. "What if I never see this much money again? Am I wrong to want stuff for myself, now that I can afford it? Who can I help, and how can I be sure I'm helping the right person? I thought I had a lot of money, but it's not enough to help the way I want it to. What about my friends, my family, my kids, should I be helping them only? Is it me they love now, or my money?"

I can't help but feel that nothing comes without one kind of cost or another.

• Like Like x 4
  18. Jazzfan0217

Jazzfan0217 Resident couch potato

This is just kinda stupid tbh. Why'd she sign up for the lottery in the first place then if she doesn't know what to do with it now? She should have given it better thought before so she could have avoided this completely. If she don't want it then there's a plenty of people out there who do. She should give it away to someone or some charity who could really use it. Don't sue the Lottery it's not their fault. They just picked a number at random... right?

Heck why would she sue the Lottery anyway... wouldn't that just give her more money? Just adding to the issue. Or what is she gonna do... get em to take it all back?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  19. JaZzPrImE74

JaZzPrImE74 Sub to my YT Supreme J

News Credits:
    Give a person money and there true personality comes out. And it's easy to tell who are your real friends. So would I mind giving a small amount of money to my true friends who I starved with ? Not at all. It's easy to identify leeches. Leeches are ones that would say things like that.

Also at her age I'm sure she didn't have kids and maybe even a significant other.

20. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Count me in with the group that feels that while a lawsuit is silly, I can sort of see here she is coming from.

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.