Breakdown: what do you think? (WARNING - SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Transformers Earthspark and Cartoon Discussion' started by Liam Prime, Apr 1, 2012.

1. WingedWeasel

WingedWeasel Well-Known Member

I can honestly see this going either way. Knock Out seems to be very callous and when he and Breakdown were first introduced he refers to B.D. as his "assistant", not partner or friend so it may have just been a convenient working relationship as many others have said in the past.

That being said, Knock out on the evil-o-meter may be a lower (higher?) tier evil than the rest of the decepticons except for maybe Dreadwing. While clearly not a good guy, I don't see it outside the realm of possibility that he gave a damn about B.D.

2. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    Uh, clearly you have not been watching the episode very well. She did not lose to Breakdown, she baited him, and killed him in his moment of carelessness. Also, if it's running away, practically all cartoon villains do that. It's practically a given.

3. DepthWave

DepthWave Decepticon Storm Trooper.

News Credits:
    Which one.

4. soundwave142

soundwave142 Decepticon over-seer

News Credits:
    airachnid was the one who ripped breakdown apart. she led him into a trap then probably cut off his arm then went for his head. I think that's what happened , then she discovered the insecticon later.

5. exoduselita

exoduselita CHRIS HUMPHRIES!!!!

Everyone thought bulkhead was going to die but it turned out to be his worst enemy. Hah, look at that. :lol 

6. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    Airachnid should have been killed instead. She's so one-dimensional and boring.

7. Arashistorm

Arashistorm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes, this.

There was nothing in the scene to suggest the insecticon had anything to do with killing Breakdown. We saw Airachnid acting defenseless, playing on her injury, webs trapping Breakdown and then Airachnid slashing at him while his yell echoes. Now if we heard some animalistic roar, we could assume the Insecticon had something to do with it, but we didn't... Airachnid offed Breakdown on her own.

8. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    One of my favorite exchanges in Transformers Prime is this:

Breakdown: Fight?
    Knock Out: Meh. Drive.

I don't know why, but I really liked the quick, concise conversation.

I'm thinking it's possible that Breakdown's not dead but I'm okay with it if he is truly dead.
    As has been said, it brought back Airachnid's psychotic side and it shows the viewers that characters with a name are not exactly 'safe'.

I agree those were interesting things that I would have liked to have seen explored -but isn't that the point of an unexpected death?
    His life has been cut short.

How in the world were Unicron and Orion Pax unresolved?

9. Stygian360

Stygian360 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm okay with his demise. My one niggle is the fact that Airachnid dispatched him so quickly! She can't seem to take apart her mortal enemy Arcee with nearly as much alacrity and yet she was able to take care of Breakdown with a busted pincer and pinned down to boot!

One could tell that Breakdown was quickly becoming the whipping boy of this show- loss of an eye, constantly disappointing Megatron, always getting his butt handed to him by Bulkhead- but overall he seemed to have potential. That being said, if someone had to go I'm okay with it being him.

10. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Just reminded me of what I don't like about Transformers Prime. The show is kind of short on Decepticon characters to begin with so killing off Decepticons just leaves us with more of the Autobots scrap a bunch of Vehicons week to week. It seems like the show also starts to develop some interesting ideas for one of the Decepticons only to kill the character off before you can see the characters full potential or a great story arch.

It just feels like killing off the Decepticon characters takes away more from the show than it adds. The Vehicons haven't felt like a real threat in a long time so the fewer Decepticon characters they have the easier it seems for the Autobots to win.

11. WoundSave

WoundSave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    THe autobots dont know breakdown is dead. Starscream never told them. So until Bulkhead finds out directly we shouldnt be seeing any reaction from him and the other bots.

i think if we see a reaction from Knockout it will be subdued in front of Megatron.

Frankly, i dont get the whole Breakdown had unresolved plotlines/development, therefore he shouldn't have died- When people die an accidental or violent death it is by definition unexpected, and leaves things unresolved. Someone who isnt the dead person has to go and close bank accounts, clean out the house, cancel the phone, etc. It also creates more tension and intrigue in the storyline to kill a character who has things going for them as opposed to someone who is already on their deathbed (or simply has all their problems squared away and dealt with). Someone's life being cut short is what makes death a tragedy.

It's more realistic this way, Breakdown did something stupid and payed the price. Airachnid trolled him, and he fell for it. SHe figured out what was going on, and took away their element of surprise. Killing breakdown, turning on Starscream, and baiting Megatron - - Airachnid is being established as a force to be reckoned with again - they are villifying her so that we take her seriously as she rises to power as the head of an insecticon army.

12. Eric

Eric VOTE.

News Credits:
    Took the words right out of my mouth.

13. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ok but here's a question. Are "dismantled" Transformers considered dead in this universe? I mean, in Beast Wars, they were constantly blown to holy hell, but they could still be repaired. Has Prime established that losing your head means death, even for a robot?

14. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I don’t think they have. And I also thought that maybe, just maybe, he was ‘dismantled’.

I think Beast Wars had a pretty established set of ‘rules’ for death, but it sometimes circumvented them.
    Waspinator certainly survived more trauma than Dinobot or Depth Charge.
    And Sparks were the most fragile thing in Beast Wars, yet they buzzed about like fireflies in Beast Machines.

But the strangest rule for death has got to be in G1.
    And that rule is that Decepticon lasers are only effective during Transformers: The Movie.

Poor Brawn got thrashed about all the time in the cartoon, but in the movie he was shot in the shoulder and he went down in flames!

Well said.

15. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nah man, keep in mind that the Decepticons were established as having been on the winning side when the 1986 movie started. They were hyper powered and had all of the Energon they needed. What we were seeing was how easily a Transformer could die when they had little energon and the opponent had a crapload.

That's what I want to know about Breakdown, though. What if Mech put him back together and revived him.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  16. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes. Well said. I was telling Smasher that the last show to be Ballzy enough to kill of characters unexpectedly was LOST. And whether people bitch about it or not, it made the viewer feel unsafe. Anyone could go, no matter how important you thought they might be, (or how relevant the actor might be). I'd like to think that no one in Prime is safe.

17. spiritprime

spiritprime Dudes, I'm a girl!

News Credits:
    Careful, Movie Optimus is watching this thread. ;) 

18. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    It's certainly a possibility.

19. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I need to log off now.

20. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I remember watching the movie as a kid -waiting for them all to be repaired.
    I'm still waiting. :cry