Brave

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Chaos Muffin, Apr 21, 2006.

1. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

News Credits:
    I am sooooooooo glad that I got all of mine in the past 3 years, or this thread would've made me lose my mind and my money at the same time. I got that sky garry repaint, and then did the best I could to paint it back into the original colors. glad I did that, too, because that mold is NOWHERE near worth the $300-$400 that sky garry goes for.

2. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The seller that others in the thread have been mentioning (gen1autobot) is who I got the majority of my Braves through, including Shadow Maru, and his prices are terrific. Looks like he's out of commission for the moment, though.

3. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    I can see that you and Sol were blessed with 3 trailers that fit where they should in jet mode... I doubt I am doing anything wrong to get the trailers to fit... They just dont...

4. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    What you want to do, link the trailers up using the pegs on the tops of the three. Stretch Descaligun out to full length, and open out the grey hatches the whole way. There's a little indent under the central bit that'll take the middle trailer. The push the front and back in slightly to lock them.

If it still gives you grief, drop me a PM with what's up specifically (a pic might be helpful) and I'll see if there's anything a bit "off", though to my knowledge Descaligun is relatively free of weird QC issues.

5. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

He should pull apart long enough for them all to fit inside without touching the sides. Might need to just pull the sides out a little more.

Mine was a little tricky at first lining up with the pegs, then I just pulled it apart even wider and it opened too wide. I stick all the trailers together before putting them in. Then line them up to one side first, then close the other on it.

I hope yours isnt messed up, maybe it's just getting stuck. I had a few over -stiff issues with a few of mine when transforming them the first time

6. Soundblaster1

News Credits:
    Problem fixed... I wasnt being violent enough or something... Maybe the california heat did something... About 1/4 inch of space was stuck somewhere...

7. Gaokaiser

Gaokaiser Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sol Fury, marvelous collections and pics !!!:rock :rock :rock 
    I love some Transformer remolded toys and love them. Shadow-Maru and Goryu are great.:) 
    And, I'm glad you're also Eldran fan ! :D 

Anyone knows difference of Japanese version and Korean ones ? J-Decker is called "K-Cup" in Korea. Toys are remolded and have Korean flag.

These are Japanese version. They have Japanese police mark.
    [​IMG]
    http://www1.megaegg.ne.jp/~katchy/brave/brave.htm

I prefer Japanese ones because they're "oriiginal".

8. Soundblaster1

News Credits:
  9. ams

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I did the exact same thing the first time I was hooking up all the trailers. :D 

10. Soundblaster1

News Credits:
    You dont know how much better that makes me feel...

11. Sol Fury

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Wow. That's dead impressive.
    I kinda wish we could see a couple of the villains oversized like that - Draias, for one. If there were an oversized KO of that guy, he'd be more or less the right size against the rest of his series (show scaling, obviously - the guy is HUGE in the series!)

12. Soundblaster1

News Credits:
    So... Anyone have pics of Mp Exkizer and Dragon Kizer combined? Everywhere I go has them individual but not combined...

And Is there a difference between the MP Great Mightgaine PM and a DX Mightgaine PM?

13. Sol Fury

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Nope. In fact, the "MP Great Might Gaine PM" isn't a Masterpiece, it's a "Brave Revival Legends" or "reissue with better paint" to you and me. It's the same toy as the vintage DX Great Might Gaine Perfect Mode, exact same mold and if you get one of the reissued ones you can even combine it with the vintage ones exactly as they were originally designed to. My Might Gunner is a reissue, my Might Gaine and Might Kaiser are Korean editions based on the vintage molds, and they combine exactly as they would had they all been the same.

The only differences between the different versions are superficial details, namely the reissued set has much, much better detailing and colours. Also on the reissue Might Gaine's soundchip was updated - he now recites his catchphrase on transforming ("Carrying hopes on silver wings, and giving peace the green light. The Brave Express Might Gaine, we've arrived on time!") Obviously that's in Japanese, though.

It's a great set whether you have the original or the reissue. Might Kaiser is one of my favourite Braves, and Great Might Gaine is an excellent combination that only gets better when you add the Perfect Cannon.

For your second request:
    http://perfectcannon.tyx.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=283

Magazine scan, but hopefully that'll give you an idea.

14. Soundblaster1

News Credits:
    Thanks for that. If I could, I'd change your user title to "God of all things Brave" Anyway... I'm glad I found that out before I shelled out $225 for something I can get for $100...

15. ams

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If I can chime in some agreement, the BR-04 Brave Revival Legends Great Mightgaine is a VERY worthwhile purchase. They've toned down the bright colors a bit, which greatly improves the look IMO.

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=TAK10466&mode=retail

BTW, anybody have any ideas on how we're going to get our hands on BR-05 Great Goldran now that it's some kind of Takara web exclusive?

16. Soundblaster1

News Credits:
    Fantofan can probably get ahold of a few...

17. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    The one I saw in stores here was even bigger then that, and it didn't have any stickers. Now that I think about it, a friend of mine still has it, I should ask him for comparison pics...

18. Sol Fury

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Time to bring this thread back to life, with a photoshoot of a series that's particularly special to me, the second of the Brave series, Brave of the Sun Fighbird!

Produced in 1991, Fighbird sets a lot of the trends that the Brave series follow. Rather than directly following on from the previous show, it starts over in a new continuity, but keeping certain trends going. For example, in the first series, Exkaiser, the heroes and villains were both energy lifeforms that possessed Earth vehicles. That is also true of Fighbird.

The main character in Fighbird is Katori Yuutaro, an android built by reclusive (and good natured "mad" scientist). The android is possessed by Fighbird himself, and he provides a bit of comic relief in human form as he learns about human culture. But when the bad guys arrive (invariably with a gigantic robot in tow) Katori can fuse with his various vehicles, Fire Jet and Gran Shuttle, to become a giant robot. In his full android form he's a lot like a Powermaster, forming an engine in the chest of Fighbird and Granbird.

Supporting human cast is made up by the rest of Dr Amano's family. Dr Amano is your typical good natured mad scientist, he tends to build and redesign various household appliances so that they blow up or do weird things. He also builds Katori some useful extras, and it was his desire to protect the safety of the human race that led him to create the Thunderbirds-esque Amano Rescue Team. Kenata and Haruka are his grandchildren, Kenta plays the role of the kid sidekick to Katori, usually going along on missions, though he is actually quite useful most of the time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Fire Jet (top) and Gran Shuttle (bottom). Each can seat the tiny Katori figure in cockpits - Fire Jet's is obvious, Gran Shuttle has a compartment in the nose that he sits in. In the series, Fire Jet is Katori's normal ride, and it is equipped with a large variety of non-leathal armaments. It's launch sequence is very Thunderbirds, with a lighthouse outside Dr Amano's coastal lab moving aside and a runway extending out of the cliff.
    Gran Shuttle appears later in the series, after Fire Jet is knocked out of action (how, not sure, though the smart money says Draias himself).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v144/Sol_Fury/Brave/1991%20Fighbird/FighGran1.jpg

Here's the "basic" robot modes. On Fighbird, left, you can see where Katori has transformed into the engine and plugged in. It's dead centre, between the wings of the bird crest on his chest.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v144/Sol_Fury/Brave/1991%20Fighbird/Breasters.jpg

Both Fighbird and Granbird can call these little support jets down to power them up. They are Flame Breater (left) and Jet Breaster (right). Each can attach to the vehicle modes, or to the robot modes. In robot mode, they clip over the chest, then when the central part is pulled down, the heads flip into position.

[​IMG]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v144/Sol_Fury/Brave/1991%20Fighbird/Firejet2.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v144/Sol_Fury/Brave/1991%20Fighbird/GranShuttle2.jpg

Here you can see the Breasters attached to the robot and vehicle modes. These robot modes are the "normal" forms of Fighbird and Granbird used in combat, known respectively as "Busou Fighbird" (Armed Fighbird) and "Jet Busou Granbird" (Jet Arsenal Granbird).
    Fighbird's signature weapon is his Fire Blade, which can be stowed in the nosecone of the jet on his back. It's a really nicely made weapon, with a little phoenix crest on the hilt and everything. In the series when performing the finishing blow, the sword bursts into flames and the energy wells up in Fighbird, exploding out of him in the form of a phoenix around him. It's visually impressive.
    Granbird's main weapon is that huge gun, Grand Cannon. On the show, though not the toy, the two halves store in each of the shuttle nose sections on the boot. They launch out of there and combine to form the main gun.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v144/Sol_Fury/Brave/1991%20Fighbird/BusouFighbird.jpg

Another one of Busou Fighbird, showing off his concealed weapons. Under his arms, he was those little buster guns. On his legs, he has missile racks, and there are those two huge cannons (Flame Cannon). Also, in the show, the disk in the centre of the chest can be detached and thrown like a shurikan, though this feature cannot be replicated on the toy.

[​IMG]

Saikyo Gattai! That's what Fighbird shouts when he merges the Fire Jet and the Gran Shuttle. This is the ultimate form of Fighbird, Great Fighbird. Far more powerful than the two robots that form him, he even uses both the chest pieces of his component robots as his weapons! However by the time he appears in the series the stakes are considerably higher, and Great Fighbird already has a recurrent enemy who counters him, Draias.

[​IMG]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v144/Sol_Fury/Brave/1991%20Fighbird/GuardTeamRobot.jpg

The Guard Team are one of the two support teams who appear and help Fighbird in his mission against evil. Like Fighbird, they have flip out helmets (on the original three anyway). From left to right, they are: Guard Police, Guard Wing, Guard Rescue and Guard Fire. All four of them are fellow members of the space guard with Fighbird, and on the night that Fighbird arrived on Earth, they came with him and possessed emergency vehicles that were parked outside Dr Amano's lab (which had raced to the scene because Dr Amano had built a device that detected the "Minus energy" that the bad guys give off, and it had blown up when Draias arrived on Earth giving off an immense amount of them).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v144/Sol_Fury/Brave/1991%20Fighbird/GuardTeamVehicle.jpg

Here's the vehicle modes. Guard Wing joins the team later into the series, becoming the very first "power up combiner" of the Brave series.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v144/Sol_Fury/Brave/1991%20Fighbird/Guardion.jpg

The original three combine into Guardion. He's not big on offensive power, though he does have vulcans built into his chest. His main function is resuce and defense.

[​IMG]

Once Guard Wing arrives, he combines with the other three and they can form Super Guardion. He's one of my favourite power-up combiners, because he gets a new head and overall looks different to Guardion, despite only getting a new head, chest and feet.

[​IMG]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v144/Sol_Fury/Brave/1991%20Fighbird/BaronsVehicle.jpg

The other team supporting Fighbird are the Barons. Led by Ace Baron (centre), they (so far in the episodes I have seen) rarely split up into their individual forms. Though there is an episode later in the series named after one of them so there is hope.

[​IMG]

As well as a combined robot mode, the Barons have a combined vehicle mode, a feature I really enjoy. In this mode, Thunder Baron is frequently used as an alternative ride to the Fire Jet by Katori. It also has a Thunderbirds-esque launch sequence, involving it launching through an undersea gate.

[​IMG]

Here's his robot mode. In this mode, Thunder Baron employs his shoulder mounted Thunder Cannons as his main weapon, but he can also deploy Drill Baron's drill over his left fist for a drill punch. He also has an attack called "Thunder Anchor" where he hits an enemy with a chain, and shocks them with lightning.

[​IMG]

No hero should be without a villain, and to counter Fighbird, there is Draias. Draias is a lot like Fighbird, he is also an energy lifeform who came to Earth and teamed up with a mad scientist, Dr Jango. Jango is mainly obsessed with ruling the world or getting back at the ones who mocked him so long ago, typical mad scientist backstory. You can literally count the minutes until Draias decides to get rid of him, though.
    Draias himself spends the first half of the series immaterial, appearing only as an evil aura and glowing eyes within Dr Jango's secret lab. Mid series, though, he aquires a body, which is what the toy is based on. Although the toy itself is tiny, in the series it is meant to be as big as Great Fighbird, which makes Draias absolutely huge!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v144/Sol_Fury/Brave/1991%20Fighbird/DraiasBeasts.jpg

Transformed, Draias splits into three beasts, Devil Dragon, Devil Hawk, and Devil Tiger. This is a pretty cool feature in my opinion, although it does lead to some stability issues for robot and jet mode.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v144/Sol_Fury/Brave/1991%20Fighbird/DraiasJet.jpg

And here's his jet mode. Perfect for a few dogfights with the Fire Jet.

In the series, Draias has one final form - Organic Draias. This is a totally new body, the true form of Draias, which makes up the last battle for the Amano Rescue Team. From what I've seen of the fight, it is one of the best in the series, with Great Fighbird going all the way and sacrificing it all for peace.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v144/Sol_Fury/Brave/1991%20Fighbird/DraiasHead.jpg

One last random picture to close on - remind you of anyone?

19. Chaos Convoy

Chaos Convoy Dai Gurren-Dan member

News Credits:
    holy crap, Draias is Armada Prime! lol

awesome pics, Sol. I don't think I've ever seen Thunder Baron's robot mode. Which is odd, since I've seen every other Yuusha's robot modes. hmph.

20. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

OMG Sol Fury you fukcing rule man!

That's cool how you used those Marvel Legend stands to hold up Guardwing. Not sure if you got those from the ML line, but those are exactly like the ones that do.