Box-Office Slump: Hollywood Facing Worst Summer in Eight Years

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by JohnRedcorn, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Chris James

Chris James Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Domestically, it's been a sh#t year for box-office but worldwide, all the summer movies are doing just fine. Age of Extinction, X-Men DoFP, Cap 2, Maleficent, and Godzilla have been bonafide worldwide hits. The only movie that has under performed in terms of total worldwide box-office is ASM2. All this proves is that that foreign box office is becoming more important because how else would Pacific Rim 2 get green lit.

2. Galvatron II

Galvatron II I can type whatever here?

The market is global, and Hollywood needs to understand that. I'm not suggesting pandering, but play to your audience. We're not the center of the entertainment consumer world anymore, and their business models needs to adjust.

3. Scorpio

Scorpio Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    When their are consistently good films - or at least good entertainment in the form of Marvel and CBM's, why bother with anything else?

4. Leather Elbows

Leather Elbows Dooper

News Credits:
    I hate the movie business. They only care about money. Quality is thrown out the window.

5. transformervic1

transformervic1 HI!

News Credits:
    Because the general audience will see anything they see fit enjoyable. Not really a bad thing IMO (not saying you said it was bad, just saying).

6. Hotshotprime43

Hotshotprime43 Well-Known Member

agreed!

7. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

This is so ironic because this has been one of the best Summer movie seasons in years in terms of quality. There were a lot of great movies that came out this Summer, and there are still a few big releases to go.

8. Autobots14

Autobots14 I'm pregant Trevor

Agreed Planet of the Apes was a great summer movie like Godzilla, Captain America, Transformers, and we still have Gotg and TMNT.

9. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

Your list is still missing How To Train Your Dragon 2, Edge of Tomorrow, and X-Men (which is the only one of these I haven't seen yet besides Apes). I have also heard a lot about some good smaller movies like Snowpiercer, Locke, Chef, and Under the Skin.

10. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Maybe we should be looking at this huge list of blockbusters (there seems to be a "huge" summer movie coming out almost every week), and how that affects the chances of any of them to perform in terms of reaching over $300 million in domestic sales.

11. Autobots14

Autobots14 I'm pregant Trevor

Well I haven't Xmen yet but i heard it's good, did not wanted to see Dragons, seen parts of Edge and it looks good and haven't seen the other movies you mention that are good.

12. TheDemonDzko

TheDemonDzko Twitch and Twitter Personality: PopDotEXE

I honestly wish they would do away with the theatre hype, and just have everything avialable for digital download...

13. Nako

Nako Well-Known Member

The Economy is still a lot worse then what the News would have you believe. The only reason the unemployment rate dropped is because a lot of people just gave up and stopped looking. Going to the movies is the last thing on your mind when your unemployed.

14. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    This has played a part for me. For a little while I was going to a movie almost every week and was getting a bit fatigued. Captain America, Spider-Man, X-Men, Godzilla... If I wasn't such a big TF fan, I might have considered skipping it. I was surprised it did as well as it did considering all the huge movies that came out before it.
    If it was any other time of the year, I would have been excited to go see Apes and Hercules. But now I'm just going to slow down my theater visits and wait for Guardians and TMNT...

15. GEJR

GEJR Member

News Credits:
    Well it's not the piracy to blame... In my opinion it's the fact that you're not getting what you want out of the theater compared to the ticket prices..

I saw Transformers two times at the theater over here. The first time there was something wrong with the lense so they refunded my tickets, the second time it was running on a shitty ass small theater. The only reason I went and saw it on the theater was because I wanted to support the movie but the quality of the theaters over here are so bad. I guess that's what monopoly does to be honest... there is only one company that has them over here.

To be honest, Hollywood must adapt. You can get a big screen TV right now very cheap with a great quality, why not take advantage of that? I would easily pay 2-3 times more to rent the movie and watch it at home instead of going to theaters where the quality sucks anyway because the companies want to keep their costs down.

The sound systems wasn't any good, the brightness in the theater wasn't set to handle 3D so I didn't get the full experience I was actually paying for. Besides the prices going up on a regular 3D ticket, now you also have to buy the crappy 3D glasses, I don't know how it is in the rest of the world but over here it's just not worth it.

I pick the movies that I watch on theater very carefully because it's a waste otherwise, I would be happy and pay 2-3 times the ticket price if I could rent in and watch it at home once it hits theaters. It's not just hollywood to blame or piracy, it's the theater owners that are cheating and not keeping their equipment up to date so it's worth the ticket prices.

16. David Hingtgen

David Hingtgen Chromaticon

News Credits:
    How To Train Your Dragon 2 is *really* good, but no one went to see it apparently. :( 

#BetterThanFrozen (yes, it is)

17. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Kinberg has it right. The movie business ebbs and flows. Right now it's ebbing. Nothing to be concerned about in the long term.

18. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I did! Twice!!

19. Deathpool

Deathpool EREDEAN WINCHAEGER

News Credits:
    NONONONO DO NOT SKIP APES!!
    You will regret it

20. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Then people are fucking bonkers. It's a fantastic movie; like Rusty I'm torn as to whether HTTYD2 or Winter Soldier was my best movie of the year.