Box Office (BoxOfficePro)

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by TransformersVK, Oct 27, 2018.

1. snokoan

snokoan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ive been hearing rumors the embargo lifts this week i doubt it tho

2. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Bounty Hunter

News Credits:
    I would think it would have to lift this week. The early screenings are on the 8th, so I would expect reactions before then..

• Like Like x 3
  3. snokoan

snokoan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    it could happen we can hear some reactions between now and next friday i think

• Like Like x 3
  4. Galvatron II

Galvatron II I can type whatever here?

Aquaman looks cringy as hell. But the GA seems super interested. Spider-Man and Aquaman are gonna be the winners of this Christmas season and I do believe Bumblebee and Mary Poppins are gonna eat shit pretty hard at this point. But maybe if word of mouth kills Aquaman early enough Bumblebee could take something respectable home.

I don’t know how much they spent on Mary Poppins but they really shouldn’t have

• Like Like x 2
  5. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    Those numbers don't look good either way, since if everybody effectively loses due to the fight for Christmas weekend, then Bumblebee has to bank on a riskier upswing. Yet clearly they are also shooting to make those opening numbers bigger with the earlier previews on the 5th and 8th.

It really could go in any direction since the film coming out next week is not the same film it was originally meant to be.

• Like Like x 2
  6. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Bounty Hunter

News Credits:
    Eh, I still don't see how you can judge the success of a movie without even seeing it. Especially in a case like this. The world has never seen a Transformers movie without Bay, so it seems impossible to know how people will react. I can see how you can make (loose) predictions for a movie that follows past trends, but this is an entirely new beast. Furthermore, I feel like the box office will completely depend on quality, and there's no way of judging that until we see the movie.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Pepperonimus

Pepperonimus Casual Fan

News Credits:
    Critics have the same opinion, and they have seen the movie. Aquaman have big advantage on opening weekend though.
    Three of them combined still make less than The Last Jedi? I wish December turns out to be unpredictable and analysts were wrong about their predictions.

• Like Like x 3
  8. GirlBot

GirlBot Mini-Cassette

News Credits:
    Actually, I think the biggest hurdle for Bumblebee so far is the low level of awarness from the audience. BoxOfficePro does a feature where they rank the trailers with highest recall by the cinema-attendees (Trailer Impact: ‘Mary Poppins Returns’ and 'Aquaman' Tie For Highest Recall; ‘Aquaman’ Sparks Most Interest in a Cinema View - BoxOffice Pro). In latest editions Aquaman and Mary Poppins were in top three and there was no mention of Bumblebee anywhere. Similary, in the BO predictions by Deadline, they also mention that Bumblebee has a twice lower recognizability than Aquaman.

January also has some new titles like Glass and I assume that both Aquaman and Mary Poppins will stay over :confused: 

• Like Like x 1
  9. CorePrime

CorePrime Well-Known Member

I don't understand why Paramount aren't going all in with advertising in the U.S. I'm seeing next to nothing here.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    They probably don't have the money.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Cryptwire

Cryptwire Cybertronian Engineer/Sniper

News Credits:
    Weasel move by paramount not to give its whole support when it comes to marketing Bumblebee movie. I do notice the lack of some cohesive marketing and advertising campaign to raise some more awareness and let it be known it is being directed by a new director. They want to do it in the cheap hoping that the brand name alone will get it to make back its buck which is good and all. I have no doubt the movie will turn out a profit, with its lower budget and brand name recognition.

But, it is partly paramount’s fault why Transformers live action have churned out mediocre movies since 2007 and have kept bay doing it for 10 years.

This is another argument FOR hasbro to take transformers into a new studio.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
  12. SilverOptimus

SilverOptimus Movie News Monster Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    They are waiting for the good word of mouth. December 8th is the embargo lift date and the early press screenings which took place two weeks ago will come into fruition.

It's a difficult fight for Bumblebee with Aquaman and Mary Poppins getting rave reviews. But Bumblebee is not too shabby either.

Bumblebee is targeting the kids. Unlike Superman and Batman, DC's Aquaman is not that much popular among kids outside US/Europe. Mary Poppins is great as a family movie but trust me, the modern day kids will get bored with it before I can say Quidditch. Bumblebee seems to have found the perfect balance. I don't know why but kids and ladies in my country go apeshit by the mere mention of Bumblebee. A girl I know even wanted to marry a Camaro. The appeal is there but it doesn't come up much on the internet. If the reviews are good (which I believe they are), Bumblebee will easily earn back the production and marketing cost, at least.

• Like Like x 3
  13. primal789

primal789 Prime

News Credits:
    Those people seem extraordinary.Can I meet them?:lol 

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

The Last Jedi had the advantage that everyone decided it was box office suicide to go up against Star Wars so all the hype could just build and build and build around The Last Jedi. With the way things are now the hype is just too diffused. I'm most hyped for Spider Man but other people are the most hyped for Bumblebee while other fans are going crazy waiting for Aquaman and other people are crazy for another big film from Disney that taps into their nostalgia.

15. Pepperonimus

Pepperonimus Casual Fan

News Credits:
    Good points. But isn't this time aroud we get four big tentpoles in December. It might be possible they could breakout more than The Last Jedi combined, considering how big Jumanji was last year.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
  16. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Anything is possible since there are no real givens when it comes to the movie business. But Jumanji seems like lightning in a bottle where all the right things fell into place at once. It's going to be tough for another movie to pull that off even though we all love it when a film like Jumanji or Wonder Woman pulls off something we were never expecting at the box office.

What's bad with so many of the films sounding good you hate for any of them to fall short. One of those rare times of almost too many good movies at once instead of some eh movies and the good one in the bunch manages to rise to the top.