Bots have blue eyes and Cons can flight?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by MechanovaKing, May 20, 2014.

1. MechanovaKing

MechanovaKing Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ok. So I don't know where this idea came from: Where Autobots have blue eyes and can't fly. And Decepticons have red eyes and can flight
    Red evil, got is. Blue not mean got it. But why? The toys weren't those colors. And you can show off good&evil with other colors

But the Bots can flight in the first bit of the cartoon, then can't with one of two excepts where they can.

Passes the first season in the cartoon eyes are mostly Blue and Red, but have alot of different colors on both sides. And flying Autobots appear.

The comics never really play by those rules at all. Eye colors are all over the place. And only jets and large space guns can fly.

TF Animated really pushed this idea with eye color and flying is a Con thing, which I think was cool

I'm not asking why thy choose Red or blue as the eye colors. I get that, evil and good. I'm asking why they decided to change all the toys eye colors. and where this Cons can flight and Bot can't idea came from.

So where did this come from in the first place. Where was is said/written?

And Do you like it? Do you want to keep it. Leave it in the dust? Push is more with future settings?

Attached Files:

2. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Actually too awesome to be legal in most states.

Probably Star Wars. All the Jedi have lightsabers of either blue or green coloration (except Mace Windeu, his was purple but he's also Samuel L. Motherfucking Jackson so he's allowed to have whatever color he wants), all the Sith uniformly have red lightsabers. And then with the spaceship laser fights, the colors are inverted so all the good guys have red lasers while the Empire has green lasers (including both Death Stars!)

3. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

Blue and red eyes are fairly basic; blue is a peaceful colour we associate with nice things like the sea and the sky and such. Red is an intense colour we associate with dangerous things like fire and poisonous creatures. They've come to oppose each other in our societal perception, with blue for nicer things and red for nastier things.

As for the flying aspect, I suspect that was another way to contrast the two factions, certainly emphasized in Animated. The Decepticons are a more advance military breed who use flying for dominance, while the Autobots are simple workers who don't need such an advanced ability for their labours.

These days, there's no longer segregation in vehicle modes between factions, though the eye colours retain their same principles.

4. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord, Botbot Collector

I notice the toys have carried out the eye trend

5. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

So that's why I think red is an evil color. But then, why is the Autobot symbol red?

6. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    because red eyes look ominous?

7. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    "I have a dream that my four little protoforms will one day live on a Cybertron where they will not be judged by the color of their eyes, but by the content of their character."

~Martinus Luthorus Prime Jr.

8. Fallout

Fallout a dude he can't lose when lives on love

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    ugh that bothered me so much about animated. it was just fanwank being fanwank for the sake of it at that point.

9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Because red eyes are evil. Red however is a heroic colour when used as "dressing." Likewise blue yes are good because they make something look harmless.

It's old as fiction itself, really. I, personally, wouldn't mind if faction-specific eye colours went away. I grew up with Beast Wars, which gave 80% of the good guys red eyes. It adds variety and means designs can have more colour unity. Red and blue eyes can sometimes futz with a design's colour layout and contrast.

10. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Agreed. Rattrap doesn't look right with blue eyes.

and I like Optimus having yellow eyes like in Cybertron.

11. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

:lol 

Heh, true this. Optimus looking all heroic in his reds, but if his eyes glowed red we'd be wetting ourselves.

12. Backpack

Backpack G1 forever.

The flying thing is easy. If the Autobots could fly, there isn't much reason for their vehicle alt modes.

13. Mirimus

Mirimus Member Known Well

That's true...because the whole disguise thing usually goes out the window pretty quick in most continuties..

14. MechanovaKing

MechanovaKing Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Have you seen DJW? He is the prefect image of a grognard-super-nerd-fan-boy.

15. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    There need to be more yellow eyes. It's quite pleasing whenever there are yellow eyes on TF figures. I like that the first G1 Optimus and Megatron toys both had yellow eyes. It helps with Optimus since I feel that his blue helmet and blue eyes kinda merge together a bit.

No wonder the Powermaster Optimus toy looks so evil in its combined mode. Although his inner robot has blue eyes. I guess going into SuperMode makes him go nasty.

16. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

I've always theorised that red, to Cybertronians, is a colour that represents passion and strength, the desire to fight for your ideals no matter the cost and the power necessary to defeat all who oppose it. Perhaps in Super Mode Optimus is putting more power into his battle efforts, intensifying his desire to win, and thus the mode had red optics to show he means business.

Maybe he doesn't use it a lot/keeps it as a last resort because he's worried that using it too much, relying on all that power so much, will end up turning him into a battle-hungry fucker like Grimlock or something. Now that would be interesting.

17. Ionus

Ionus Well-Known Member

I like the autobot blue eyes personally. I am not sure why everyone wants to change that. I don't care if its a preconceived instilled notion. It works and that is how I recognize characters like Ironhide, Prowl, Sideswipe ect., ect.

Grimlock is an exception. I like him with the red eyes/visor as it suits his badass character.

The original comic depicted the Decepticons as being the superior force and the Autobots as the underdog. Flight was one of the attributes that made this dividing line and this theme was carried into the cartoon and subsequent stories. It didn't last long anyway. Later on a lot of Autobots could fly including ones that didn't possessed an aerial altmode.

18. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

Optimus would look more heroic if he had more blue IMO

19. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    ....This still leaves me with one crucial question though....

Correct me if I'm wrong, but why did we never see the so called "flight capable" Autobots, fly or hoover, in robotmode - even if they were in instant peril ?

* Aerial bots : never saw their robot modes fly
    * Powerglide : never saw him fly in robotmode
    * Springer : never saw him fly in robotmode ; although I can understand that, since his flight relies on physical helicopter blades.
    * Skyfire : never saw him fly in robotmode
    * Cosmos : never saw him fly in robotmode

SkyLynx might be the sole exception here.... then again.... his 'robotmode' isn't exactly robotmode, is it ?

I mean.... we've seen the seeker trio fly as evasive manoeuvre in robotmode so many times....yet any 'flight capable' Autobot is stuck to the floor in robotmode.....

20. Backpack

Backpack G1 forever.

How is that even a question? They are only flight capable because of their alt modes. They turn into stuff that can fly.