Botcon Thunderclash and 2009 box set sales update

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by G.B. Blackrock, Mar 30, 2009.

1. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Does it say somewhere that the autobots are a unified team? Maybe the storyline revolves around the creation of the elite guards. Maybe they had to slap together a rag-tag team to take on Sideways.

2. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    Yeah, and Kup is supposed to be a truck! And Flak is green! And Scourge is a wingless bar of space soap!

I don't see why all that could change and Thunderclash's colors couldn't be tweaked, to still be an homage and yet a degree or two less horrible.

3. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    I don't think your first bit there is an appropriate comparison considering what molds were available and what had recently been released. Actually, I'd think you'd understand those points all the better.

As for your second point, I don't disagree that it could have ben improved on. I just don't understand why anyone would be surprised that it was not so.

4. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So if someone doesn't like this set, there's a good chance they're just whiners, poor, and don't know anything about Transformers? That's a level of snark I'd expect elsewhere, but not on TFW. As someone who is also a large-scale collector, does have the means to go to Botcon, and DOES understand the homage (which is G1, not G2), I don't care for the set at all.

Minus the word "nice", I concur. :lol 

5. rework

rework The Voice of Experience

Not every single person falls in that category, but you can't dispute the fact that we see pretty much the exact same complaints year after year as Botcon toys are revealed: They cost too much, they are a rip off, they look stupid, it's not fair that FP doesn't make these available to everyone cheaper, Hasbro should revoke the license...

Did I miss any? :banghead: 

Every year the board posts are OVERWHELMINGLY negative... Yet they always fetch a nice premium on Ebay the week after the show.

6. Foster

News Credits:
    The first bit wasn't an appropriate comparison because it was sarcastic. The molds available are outside of FP's ability to control, of course. :lol 

Colors aren't, and just because people are disappointed by ThunderCLASH's colors doesn't mean they are all surprised by them.

Something tells me this year's premium isn't going to be as "nice" as it's been the last couple of years. :lol 

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  7. Kranix2k

Kranix2k Spare me this mockery!! TFW2005 Supporter

Amen, brotha. I sometimes wish we had a running list of all the negative comments about Botcon, the 2007 movie, and this year's movie - especially the stupid ones. That way when another Botcon or movie sequel rolls around, we could start a post where folks could just get a multiple choice! :lol 

8. rework

Same thing was said last year, but I still saw people getting $1000 for a complete toy set (Boxed + at show toys).

If the premium this year is lower, the fact that they are making significantly more sets will probably be a larger factor than the toys themselves. Though no one will ever be able to prove one over the other.

9. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    You know... I like Thunder Clash... garrish colors and all. Actually, if they had improved on him I'd have been a bit dissapointed seeing as they did Skyquake pretty spot on.

Anyways... that at least puts me up to four for this set that I'm actually interested in hunting down after Botcon. I could probably nab an Iacon package if I were to get on the waiting list soon enough, but I think I'd rather pay whatever the markup is on eBay than to have to attempt to unload Scourge, Kup & Landshark as the only two I want from the actual boxset are Flak and Thunder Clash. The other two I want so far, Skyquake & Leozak, I'm going to have to get on the aftermarket anyways as I can't make the convention to begin with.

In any case, at least we got a couple of nice figures out of this year's set, but looking at the various responses it seems that each figure has produced a certain amount of fans and haters... and it's not the same people hating all the figures or liking all the figures for the most part either. Problem, as I see it, is that the last two sets were stellar (I personally didn't like the Shattered Glass concept, but the toy were stellar in their way) and this one seems to be very similar to the 2005 one in terms of the overall disdain for the set. Yeah, we get haters every year and people whine and complain (and maybe some of them can't afford/won't buy a set no matte what), but that doesn't mean that all of them are like that. I've seen plenty of guys whom go to Botcon every year and usually have pretty nice things to say about the sets being down on this set (and, most of those guys were down on the 2005 set too).

Anyways, that's my two cents for what it's worth to anyone.

10. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Good luck selling it..

11. T16skyhopp

T16skyhopp Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I dunno.. I understand all the complaints. but I like this set. Kup and Scourge will go with my classics. And a lot of these molds I never owned. And I like silly old toys with silly colors. (DCUC Killer Moth is the best of that line!) Thunderclash is awesome. And I really hope Skyquake is the freebie, cause he is also awesome.

12. bradforj

bradforj Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh, excuse me sir. I didn't realize I am supposed to keep my opinion to myself here. I guess only FunPub shills are allowed to comment in Botcon threads. How silly of me.

13. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    i dunno, the Ironhide/Ratchet were fairly logical and at lease semi-appealing (i don't really like that mold, but it makes more sense then the molds used for Kup and Scourge here IMHO) and the Dezarus remold of gigatron was pretty damn sweet...

14. Foster

News Credits:
    Asking it, or getting it? If you see that this year, by all means let me know so I can sell mine!

15. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I likeD 2005!

16. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There's a lot of complaining every year, yes... but I think the complaints are definitely different from year to year.

In 2007, the complaints were based on making "popular" characters into expensive exclusives... and while I personally have no sympathy for that viewpoint, the complaints were not based on the quality of the toys. In 2008, the complaints were based on the CONCEPT, which many found to be eyerollingly fanfic-ish. As it turned out, it worked pretty well, and it made the set more desirable in the long run.

This year, there are so many factors that seem to be influencing the whole thing... a series of generally disliked molds and paint schemes, an absent 25th anniversary celebration, and a seemingly uncohesive group of characters that feel very thrown together. I'd even bet that the impending disappearance of Animated is creating some passive aggressive dislike for this set.

I love Fun Pub, I think they do a great job... and I love seeing the sets be successful. But due to the molds they had available or whatever, this set is just not resonating with most people. Personally, I'm not sure things are "the same as every other year", and I feel the future desirability of this set may depend heavily on the quality of the fiction and portrayal of the characters.

17. Foster

News Credits:
    In before a fun, irreverent leak of the preview comic gets debunked as an April Fool's prank in favor of more of the same old convoluted SRS BUSINESS.

18. rework

I appreciate the good wishes, but I've only ordered one set and it's going in my collection.

19. Kupp

Kupp Relic of a time before time. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Like every year there are some I like some I don't like. I am more than happy to just pay the premium for the few figures I like, much like in years past. I have the complete 2007 set, and think that was an awesome year.

As and overall opinion, I find most years sets underwhelming, 2007 being the exception, and I myself am perfectly happy to pic up the one or two I want even if it is years later. I find the best time to grab old botcon stuff in the weeks leading up to the next botcon, just my two cents.

Oh, and I don't want Fanpub to do anything differently, well other than a small amount of annoyance with mold and color selections, but hey can't please everyone.

20. rework

Getting it. I know one person personally who got that much and there were auctions closed on Ebay that went for as high as $1000.