Botcon Thunderclash and 2009 box set sales update

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by G.B. Blackrock, Mar 30, 2009.

1. G.B. Blackrock

G.B. Blackrock Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    Where's the lie that 3H made in that? That you would ultimately get a PVC Skywarp? They had every reason to believe that you would. At worst, we're talking about a broken promise. That's rather a different thing.

You haven't demonstrated an actual lie here....

2. Backstop

Backstop Have you seen my box art?

News Credits:
    I likes!!!

3. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus I can do this all day! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    Eh, while that may be true, you can't deny that it's certainly a bad business practice to state that if you join the club that you'll receive X figure for free and then not follow through. Even if there were circumstances beyond their control that ended up coming into play, but then they shouldn't have made the promises to begin with really.

That's one of the things I've always been pro-funpub about... when they say an exclusive is coming we get our exclusives. All the free figures have been timely and so have the Botcon sets (no Sentinel Maximus issues with these guys)... only slight grip I have with them is the club exclusives... the last two were delayed something awful, but we did get them (now I just hope that we see more... weren't club members promised annual exclusives or am I remembering something wrong? ...course, I'm not exactly a club member anymore so no biggie...).

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  4. G.B. Blackrock

News Credits:
    Of course not. Why would I?

Again, there's no disagreement here....

ALL I'm saying (that seems to have gotten a couple of folks all riled up) is that one shouldn't make an accusation of lying without backing it up. I'm not really interested in defending poor business practices, I'm not saying that numbers and situations aren't being "spun," nor am I trying to say people shouldn't express negative opinions.

5. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If you really want to mince words, fine. I'm more than sure that he had every intention of having the figures made. But, the lies came later when people began to ask where their figure was and he kept making up excuses for why they were late until he finally had to admit that they were never coming. And then he blamed Takara for them not getting made because he couldn't order enough to get them made for any profit. Lies.

The truth is, he never confirmed the deal with Takara before he started to take the money for the toy from us. And when he couldn't afford to get them made, he took the money and used it for something else. Those of us who paid never got our money back. He did the same thing with the Plates. (tho Hasbro cleaned that little mess up for him) Lies and Fraud.

When things were finally beginning to be exposed about how he was running things into the ground he first denied the truths and then blamed everyone else for the problems. More lies.

To pick apart my earlier post and say that I haven't really proved Glen lied in the past in order to back up an argument about if FP is lying to us today is a real stretch, GB. Especially since I didn't claim that FP was lying. Only that if someone wants to talk about the possibility of such a thing, that they should be able to given examples of the past. It's common knowledge that Glen lied his face off and tried to defame a number of people on this board who called him on his lies. Oh, he may not have done all of the lying himself as he had a number of those who believed him and defended him to the bitter end, but when you come right down to it, even they had to see that he lied to them as much if not more than he did to the rest of us.

*Edit*
    Sorry, I wanted to add this to my post and resond to it as it was posted before I finished typing mine up.

Again I ask, why not? This is a discussion on a message board not a court of law. We are not required to provide proof of anything, especially not when someone posts an opinion or an assumption. (accusation if you want to call it that.) And isn't "spin" just another word for a lie?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  6. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus I can do this all day! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    Oh, I know. I wasn't trying to insinuate that you were. Of course, I'm not one of the guys riled up either. I honestly think that in most cases FP does do a decent job... especially when you consider what we had going on before hand and that was more or less what I was getting at. Sorry if I ran off on another train of thought as I wasn't trying to suggest that you were suggesting such things... I'm up late and I probably shouldn't be if you follow...

:lol 

7. dark69

dark69 BlackArachnia Terrorize!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    damn i missed missed all that drama

8. ROY BOT

ROY BOT Boosh!

What a bunch of useless lampoonery.

Here's bad bussiness, hundreds of dollars for mediocre figures. These things should be absolutely amazing for that price!

The word exclusive, the fact that less people have them, and the fact that they have an enormous price tag, honestly, do not make them a better or worse product when it comes down to it.

Thank's but I'll save my money for the truly spectacular. Exclusive or not.

9. ROY BOT

ROY BOT Boosh!

THis cross anybody else's mind?

Attached Files:

10. Hiro Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Bwahahahahahahahahahahahaha! :lol 

11. Bogatan

Bogatan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    But why would some one even believe without prior evidence or at least suspision of deceit think that FP were lying. When they have said something is sold out it has in fact been sold out, when they have said stock is remaining, guess what, they have still got it in stock.

And how does some one pad the numbers. Are people out there thinking that only 86.3% of the boxsets have sold out and FP are rounding up to 87% to trick us?

Guess what, loads of people hate this years set, but we're still going to Botcon and still intend to have a great time, just because the toys are bad doesnt mean I intend to cancel. After all a sell out only require at most 1500-2000 people in the whole world to have the money and desire and the time to go and not even the last one if they got the Iacon package.

Besides, the first announcement made after less than a week had sales at 70% 3 or 4 weeks later only another 17% have sold. So thats from 70% of stock per week being sold down to 4-5% per week for the following month once the previews started to appear. Hardly stellar figures worth lying about.

12. Bogatan

Bogatan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Based on the toys in the set I think its too much to hope they learnt any lessons about what some fans might be looking for from last years AFD comic.

13. Hiro Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Why do some people believe that the Moon landings were faked. Some people don't need proof, sadly.

For the record, I don't believe FP is lying. I just believe that if someone wants to make a point in a discussion, they shouldn't be told that proof must be provided to back them up. At least not until it's a board rule.

14. T16skyhopp

T16skyhopp Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Amazing is subjective. I am quite pleased with this set.

15. Blaster_Prime

Blaster_Prime drank the last beer

Neat, although personally I was hoping for Energon Prime for this mold (minus the trailer). Funny considering that I only recently dug out my Energon Rodimus without even hearing the rumors about the mold being used for Thunderclash.

16. G.B. Blackrock

News Credits:
    It's not about rules, it's about common decency. If you don't care about that, then obviously I can't stop you from saying whatever you want.

17. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    I'd add to this, that essentially calling FP a 'liar' in this instance is not really the same thing as directing the same comment towards 'Hasbro', 'Tomy', or any other (otherwise faceless) corporate entity.

The guys at FP are TF fans and members of the community, seperated only by their job title.

Criticizing the performance of their company or the materials produced is a valid course of action, but I think it is otherwise rude to infer that these people, who are readily available to the fandom (both online and at the convention) and who at least try to bring interesting exclusives to us every year, are liars.

Of course, anyone is free to do so. I think it just reflects really poorly upon the person making those kind of statements.

18. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

I agree that outright calling them liars is definitely uncalled for. However, I'd say it's *possible*, not saying it is, but *possible* that FP could be exaggerating their sells claim. Simply because the absolute last thing they'd want is a repeat of 2005 and another big stack of unsold boxsets sitting in storage again.

Besides, buisnesses do that kind of thing all the time, claiming somethings almost sold out in an effort to scare more people into buying out of fear of missing out. Not saying FP's doing that, but I wouldn't be surprised either.

EDIT: As far as non-attendee sets I should say.

19. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Soon it will be sold out, there is no questions. Its a botcon set and thats what happens.
    I'm sure in a matter of days well get the news that this Botcon has smashed every record.

Thats great, but something is diffrent this year.

Maybe its the growing collectors,
    The new fans,
    The scalpers.

But can we all at least agree its not the amazing Botcon 25th set?

Its not the "phantom collectors" that only goto botcon.

20. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    Roy Bot FTW!!!