Botcon thrust! Wings!

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by xZAOx, Apr 26, 2007.

1. Young Blaster

Young Blaster Member

Where can I get the classic repaint at? Thundercracker, Dirge, Thrust ect...?

2. David Hingtgen

David Hingtgen Chromaticon

News Credits:
    The short answer is: Botcon, for $300.

3. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Well the new sculpt parts are going to make it a lot more difficult to do, but I think I'll still take the home shot at making him to save $300.

4. Late Ironhide

Late Ironhide The Fallen Hero

Now why did they have to do this. They should know not alot of people can't aford [ms] it not much as to go to Botcon like myself can't go. To me this is not fair. I don't want Thundercracker,Dirge,Ramjet Shywrap or another Starscream. The only one I want it Thrust. :mad: 

5. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    as has been said in every botcon thread thus far, because Hasbro wasn't going to be making these for retail, otherwise they'd have told FP they couldn't do them.

now, back on-topic:

mother of god!

6. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Veteran

News Credits:
    We need to sticky that.

7. REDLINE

News Credits:
    tell me about it *L*

8. permie

permie Well-Known Member

What kind of bush league, third rate con job is this Transformers Club? You gotta fill out a fricken PDF form and mail it in to get the package? Why can't you just order it online? And why the goddamn is it 329$??? Correct me if I'm wrong, isn't this 5 deluxes?

9. REDLINE

News Credits:
    try reading either of the other seeker threads, seeing as how that same question is answered at least tenfold in both of them. and you don't have to mail it, you can fax it.

oh, and please go easy on the insults.

10. PopCulturePooka

PopCulturePooka Longest running avatar

News Credits:
    Hope some 'test shots' appear on ebay

11. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If they do, they fetch higher than botcon prices I'll bet.

12. Dark Magnus

Dark Magnus Your opinion is wrong!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Better you learn this early in life before you start building hopes and dreams only to have them crushed. Life is not fair.

ZOMG!!!!, I must rely on the postal system to purchase my set. I hope the dinosaur they deliver the mail on doesn't die before it makes it to them.

13. useless

useless Completely Unreasonable TFW2005 Supporter

Hmmm he's nice in robot mode but while Ramjet and Dirge look a little stubby in Jet mode (largelly due to the short nosecone), Thrust looks REALLY stubby

14. ArmadaSideswipe

ArmadaSideswipe Well-Known Member

Dirge looked good, and Thundercracker was perfect.

Thrust, however, is an amazing work of fine art worthy of museum. He's that beautiful.

Again, though, if I ever move forward with my plans to get these guys, I'm probably going to be scalped horribly. These Seekers are the first Botcon exclusives ever that go beyond just "I want that" and onto "Somehow, I feel I need that".

I need to get some money... Publishing a book has turned out to be a more confusing and difficult process than I ever thought it could be.

15. Moonstreaker

Moonstreaker The Evil Triplet

Ebay:
    These threads continue to disturb me. The people who think the price is unwarrented are always ridiculed relentlessly. I do understand those views aren't always expressed in an articulate manor. That; however, is not a viable excuse.

The people who spend this extremely large some of money for these Seekers think everyone else is jealous and can't afford them. Which is not the case for everyone. Some people can't afford them and have every right to upset about the asking price. I could afford to purchase these w/o thinking twice about. But I will not purchase anything that I feel isn't worth the price tag...no matter how much I may wish to have it. To me it's just not justafiable to waste money like that. (If I feel something isn't worth the asking price then for me to buy it is a foolish waste of money.)

I also think some people who have purchased this set get so bent of shape because they are not entirely comfortable with the cost. Why else would you get so twisted because someone else thinks the asking price is extortion? It's just someone's opinion. Which they have every right to have, and every right to express. The attitude toward the people who are upset about the price has been elitest and; quite frankly, very ugly. I think it really needs to stop.

That being said...
    I think they did a beautiful job with this. Thrust has always been my #3 favorite transformer (behind Jazz and Grimlock). It's nice to see it, even though I have no intention of ever owning it.

16. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    It didn't start off like that; it turned into that when people got sick of having to repeat the same reasons why they are happy with the set over and over again and having them ignored.
    I know. I'm not complaining; I think he looks fantastic. I am simply saying that the stubbier nosecone doesn't look as good as the longer one, despite giving him the classic conehead look. I felt the same about Ramjet too.

17. gnodprime1

gnodprime1 Made of sterner stuff

Ebay:
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this exactly what everyone was hoping for in terms of Classics seekers? I am definitely not comfortable with the pricetag, but they had to pay for the tooling for Thrust, and the extra paint apps somehow. Would any of you rather have straight up repaints released at retail, with ZERO remolding, and ALOT less detail painting? Seems to me that jealousy has run rampant in this thread between those who can acquire and those who cannot, but really want these. I'm still waiting to see what the other 2 figures will be. Perhaps those will make the pricetag a little easier to swallow. They've hit a home-run on the seekers, what else are we getting? Think of it this way, if you were to travel to Botcon, stay in a hotel, and travel home, how much would you spend? I'd venture over the $300 cost of this set. If it's just the figures people want and not the experience, I'd say they're being offered a fair chance to get them. Heck, most of us could sell off some of our collection pieces to pay for this set. It's called sacrifice folks. Everything has a price. You have to give up something, to get something you want more. For all those "it's not fair" folks, whoever lied to you, and said life was fair, was just playing a cruel, cruel joke.

18. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Why FP doesn't do online registration:

They tried to handle a high-volume desirable item through online checkout. Alternators Nemesis Prime. They had...what, less than 50 of him?

Their server exploded within -minutes-. I suspect it actually physically melted.

I and several others said "Please never use an online form for something with this much anticipated traffic again until you invest in new server tech." I believe it was replied that FP doesn't have a server upgrade on their immediate list of priorities.

So, that's why it's mail-in + fax, I think.

19. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I know this is going to go in one ear and out the other (so to speak) but I have to ask. Moonstreaker, have you ever just thought that maybe there are those who LIKE to spend stupid amounts of money on exclusives? I, for one, do.

I earn my money honestly and spend it on whatever I damn well please. It pleases me to buy the con exclusives. I have ever since the first Botcon. I collect all TF toys. To me, it's nice to have a few hard to find ones mixed in with the regular toys. Not because I want to make people jealous over my collection. If I did, I'd have it posted in the collection thread. It's because I like TF's and the more TF's I can sit on my shelves the happier I am.

So If a few toys are produced each year that wouldn't be available if it weren't for the cons are made and sold for a "stupid price", then I'm gonna buy them. It's more for me to collect and I'm willing to pay the price. Is that fair to those who would like them but can't aford them? No. But that's life. I'd like a Lamborgini but I can't afford one. Oh well, I guess I'll just enjoy my G1 Sideswipe.

What get's me is that you have said more than once that you can afford the toys. That you don't want them on principal. Well nice for you. Glad to see someone stick to their principals. So why comment in a thread where you know people are gonna be excited about an exclusive you are boycotting on principal? Once I can see as sharing your opinion. But now it looks as if you're trying to start a crusade against all exclusives. If that is the case, might I suggest you start a thread for that purpose in TFGD? Otherwise, why not let your fellow fans who do like and will get these toys enjoy themselves.

20. Trek

Trek Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The thing is that whether this set is over priced or not is is largely personal opinion. An item is always only worth as much as you're willing to pay for it after all.

Having said that I was comparing this set to the price of several ehobby exclusives. For example ehobby Sunstorm, which is baised on the G1 Starscream mold, set you back £60 ($120) if you brought him new and will now cost you at least £120 ($240). That's for a figure baised on a mold (Reissue Skywarp) that sells for £10 ($20) here at the moment. That's 600% originally and 1200% now. Similary Clampdown (recoloured G1 Red Alert) or DeepCover (recoloured Sideswipe) will also set you back £60 ($120) each. Again a 600% increase over the original molds.

So lets apply this to the Botcon Set, which is believed to consiste of four deluxes (Dirge, Thrust, Thundercracker and Bugbite) and One Voyager (Dreadwind). At retail this is £71.95 (£12.99 X4 + £19.99) or $143.90. Multiply this by 6 gives you £431.70 (or $863.40) if they were similarly marked up to the ehobby figures.

Suddenly £250 ($500) for a Boxed and a loose set of these is looking like a very nice price. Hell the loose set costs only slightly more than the original molds would at Retail here! ($179 is only £89).

(BTW I should also note that your average Stargate/ Star Trek/ Buffy/ Serinity Convention over here costs £90 ($180) for the weekend - that's without any figures)