BotCon Thievery

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by NebulanFree, Aug 11, 2007.

1. puppylove

puppylove mini ops caretaker

News Credits:
    well, i was amazed at how some tables looked abandoned when i was there. no one around at all. as someone who sells at craft faires for a living i was pretty shocked to see that, but i figured there must be less stealing at conventions...i guess not. i guard my table like a hawk at craft shows! and if i step away, i always make sure my table partner is there.

2. Kid Icarus

Kid Icarus Castlevaniac

Even though we never left our booth completely unmanned, there was indeed a theft.

An old G1 school class style notebook featuring Jazz on the cover, still factory sealed, was swiped between the second and third day of the convention. No idea when or how it happened until we checked our stock/sales figures at the end of the day on Sunday.

This however doesn't compare to other's losses. REDLINE's in particular seems shocking, mostly due to the fact that there was no security (that I could see) to speak of surrounding the art contest submissions. I haven't been to a BotCon since 2001, and as I recall each year they kept all works behind a partition of sorts, usually a velvet rope or whatever was available. Within view, but out of reach. Sad, really, that some folks just can't respect the time and effort others bring to the convention.

-Pit-

3. Bed Bugs

Bed Bugs Haven't gone postal yet...

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I'm thinking I should volunteer for Botcon next year and wear my Security Guard Uniform. It would feel good to walk around the masses and knowing the thieves would be too busy watching me with my badge to try and steal something.

4. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    I was thinking about doing the same with my glock hanging on my belt!!!!

5. gen1fan

gen1fan G1 PRIME FROM VA TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Had the sword and gun off my Submarauder taken. that happen some time on friday. Cause I had some one come up to the table wanting to buy it and I know it want complete when I put it out on the table. Then some one swapped out my left fist on the preaking for a right fist. I did not find that one out until after I got home and re inverntory everything. As busy as My booth was and with the help of Megamus We still could not catch everything.

6. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

What if they stole that?

Seriously though, it's a shame people feel the need to ruin good fun for fans and collectors by taking whats not theirs.

7. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Damn Tennagers,oh wait....I'm one well i don't steal.

8. Trenner Dios

Trenner Dios everything u like is dumb

Isn't it just awful how some people just have no idea what horrible, rotten scum they are? I mean, it would be nice if one day all the horrible people in the world had epiphanies, realized how selfish and shitty they were, then killed themselves or turned a new leaf.

I just hate hate hate hate stealing. I mostly loathe the stealing of one's personal property, but I'm not a fan of it in any form. Seriously, the punishment should be loss of one's hands. Then people would steal so much less.

If that's too harsh, then at least a finger or two...

9. Pvt. Hagetaka

Pvt. Hagetaka Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Wonder it the guy tried to take credit and praise for it later

10. n10zguy

n10zguy Well-Known Member

Well DUH! Of course they'd steal much less... they wouldn't have any HANDS!

11. Trenner Dios

Trenner Dios everything u like is dumb

That's....not what I meant.....

12. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We Exist, and We DON'T Want to Date You

News Credits:
    Well, chopping off people's hands in public IS a very effective theft deterrent in Turkey. The key is 'in public'. Executions, too.

--Moony

13. nightboomfer

nightboomfer SeƱor Member

To punish and enslave?

Seriously though, I abhor stealing from fellow fans. If I ever catch anyone taking something that isn't theirs... I'll just yell as loud as I can "Hey, that guy's stealing!"

...and then feel really embarrassed when it turns out it was an art contest judge checking out the paint job.

14. Razorblaze

Razorblaze God of Thunder TFW2005 Supporter

I'm in and willing to put my Dog the Bounty Hunter skills to use...lol :D  Nightboomfer's idea sounds good too.

15. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    I've already posted this but this seems like a good place to remind everyone. Gen1Fan and I are organizing an official TFW2005 dealers table / booth. Everyone who joins will be able to put their stuff on the tables and know that someone will be watching.

16. KidDynamite

KidDynamite Do good recklessly Veteran

Twitter:
    Any large gathering of people is going to have a certain percentage of amoral jerks. Crowded dealer rooms are an easy target. Having worked in a booth a few times, the crowds are enormous; it's hard to keep an eye on everyone at once, and easy for thieves to disappear into the crowd quickly. Plus many of the tables are littered with small but potentially expensive parts that are easy to slide into a pocket. It's sadly almost inevitable. I knew it would be before I ever worked a table, but I was still pretty shocked at how brazen people could be.

17. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    I was a bit surprised to hear about the thefts too. As much as I disparage certain elements of the fan community, it's pretty much been limited to their attitudes and competence. Stealing or sabotaging, especially custom figures, is really on a different and much lower level.