Botcon Returns in 2021

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by neospark1, Jan 27, 2020.

1. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, exclusive toys are confirmed. So Botcon is either able to make unlicensed toys without Hasbro caring, or it's officially licensed again. Personally I don't want them to be an outlet for international figures or share them with another online retailer, it dilutes the concept of an exclusive. I mean, really, "shared exclusive" is an oxymoron, if we want to get pedantic. Is it really a Botcon toy if Botcon is just one on a list of sellers of a Hasbro-initiated product?

2. Blackarachnia1996

Blackarachnia1996 Goddess of Chaos

But again, TFcon has exclusive toys... there’s nothing about Hasbro being involved (or not involved to be fair). So we’ll just have to see! But with 3D printing so easily accessible now, I would guess their exclusives will be more along the lines of what was offered at BotCon 2004, or since Pete is involved, use his contacts and make something similar to the figures offered on Night Shining. I just can’t imagine Hasbro doing limited runs of like 600 figures again, but you never know. I mean, how many people plan on going to the new BotCon when they’ve settled in with TFcon? I doubt they’ll get up into the thousands, especially since Hasbro isn’t making any sort of announcement... I assume they won’t be involved. So attendance will be low, which means exclusive numbers will be low, which means Hasbro will be less likely to produce something. Look at the transition from OTFCC 2004 to BotCon 2005... it went from roughly 2000 attendees down to 500, and that was with only like a 15 month gap, Hasbro officially sponsoring the con, AND a boxset FULL of exclusive toys. Maybe the attendee package was too high, or it was a bad location, or the time of year sucked, but also TFcon USA wasn’t around, so even with that being the only option still only 500 people came. Now maybe people were burnt out because of all the drama, but people seem to still be burnt out with BotCon for other reasons today, and there are TWO USA TFcons now (well, theoretically... guess that can still change back to one), with a higher attendance and no drama. I just can’t believe BotCon will get huge attendance no matter how you cut it, which means that I can’t imagine Hasbro doing such a small run, especially since are any of the same employees at Hasbro’s TF devision the same as they were in 2016? Would they even know what BotCon was, and would they care to do exclusives? That’s why I think they’d get shared exclusives, like BBTS or distribute their Selects figures... but I think it’s going to be the type of stuff Pete is already offering for Redman. Could be wrong, but if Hasbro wanted to make them stuff, I’d imagine it would only be if they were involved and made the Con official again... or they’d want to run it. Idk what they want with the failure of HasCon... that was the reason they killed BotCon. So who knows. But getting figures like Shockaract and TM Tigatron again are probably slim to none right now, at least until BotCon grows again... which I think they will. It’s just going to take several years. And I know Karl knows that... so I expect 2021 to be similar to BotCon 1994, 2004, and 2005

3. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    With using the Botcon name, and knowing the people involved, I don't imagine they'll run the risk of alienating Hasbro by publicizing 3rd party exclusives. A 3rd party presence is probably unavoidable (on the contrary, it's probably in their best interests to have strong 3rd party participation to drive attendance), and companies may offer exclusives, but I see a difference between that, and BC Productions announcing "Get your exclusive FansToys G2 Spoiler only at Botcon!" and using the image on advertisements and so forth. Especially if they hope to secure a license in the future.

Yeah, I agree with that. I would expect Hasbro to quote BC a price on a minimum run of a figure, and unsold units would go up on Night Shining and probably be offered at Robocon until they're gone. We'd be talking anywhere from 2000-5000 units, I'd guess. They'll be operating Botcon in the red, starting out, but then most cons function that way.

I was at OTFCC both years, didn't go to Botcon 2005 due to distance, and with the exclusives being made available to non-attendees, going didn't seem of paramount importance anymore. But I've always been of the opinion that the more cons, the better, especially if they're spread out both geographically and temporally. At least for me, distance is usually the deciding factor on whether I go or not, I don't know how many more people that applies to, but you can't deny the appeal of a geographically-convenient convention. I feel like there's plenty of space on the calendar for Botcon, two TFCons, Robocon, and all the other conventions people put on, as long as they don't all try to be in the Midwest in August, or whatever.

• Like Like x 1
  4. IgnikaMarcus

IgnikaMarcus DON'T TRUST THE RENDERS!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd honestly prefer Hasbro not be involved, at all.
    If TFCon can go w/o Hasbro, I'm sure the reborn BotCon would be able to do so as well.

5. Blackarachnia1996

I’m not sure if Karl is interested in getting Hasbro involved... that was more so Glen, and I think Pete pushed the 3P ban because he really had no choice. But an easy work around is for them to produce their own figures... or yeah, be in the red for a couple years and offer the exclusives online. I remember either Karl or Glen saying they were in the red for years when BotCon first started, so he might be willing to swing it again.

I love all the 3H love they’re giving on social media, to the BotCon legacy original characters and completely ignoring the FunPub stuff... I wonder if that’s intentional. Pretty sure Pete is running their socials, so I’m curious if that’s just to hit the nostalgic funny bone or if they intend to pick up where BotCon 2002 left off... would love to see the comics continue, although tbh I think a lot of those were conceptualized by Glen, so I’m not holding my breath. I also think I’ve mentioned before that I’d like to see the legacy characters get updates from CHUG figures, so those are the exclusives I’m hoping for... just not getting my hopes up, though

6. SHIELD Agent 47

SHIELD Agent 47 Skull Leader

News Credits:
    Excuse me, but do you mind using quote coding? Your post looks like it is conveying that you are Bret Lovell.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That happened before and everyone thought he was Karl...

• Like Like x 2
  8. Verno

Verno Beast Wars Collector

News Credits:
    How would I go about pitching comic book scripts for future conventions?

• Like Like x 1
  9. cbff

cbff Destroyer of Botcon (Retired)

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Interesting that they said "Exclusive Toys" and not "Exclusive Figures", "Exclusive Transformers", "Exclusive Robots", or "Official Exclusive".

Curious what the exclusives will be now, but I'm currently ruling out Official Transformers as exclusives until it seems otherwise.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Blackarachnia1996

At this point, the best thing we can hope for is they continue their fiction... preferably as comics, and also cut back on the convoluted multiverses. Would like to see one continuous story advance from year to year, but maybe offer a larger book than a standard comic.

I think they plan to move ahead with Shattered Glass since they created it and Hasbro won’t use it, but unless they dive into Beast Wars, I must say I wouldn’t be all that interested...
    With their post today and all the #ShatteredGlass hashtags attached to most of their other posts, I wouldn’t be surprised. I would much rather see them pick up after The Wreckers pt. 2 and tie it into TransTech somehow... that feels more classic “BotCon” to me

• Like Like x 1
  11. ScottyP

ScottyP Got The Touch

News Credits:
    It was three weeks after Katrina and another hurricane was potentially going to hit the area the convention was in Hurricane Rita - Wikipedia that's the long and short of it.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Blackarachnia1996

The weather was fine, Frisco is far enough inland where it wasn’t affected by either. So unless people were volunteering or lived in the affected areas, those hurricanes wouldn’t have prevented 1500-2500 people from going.

13. ScottyP

ScottyP Got The Touch

News Credits:
    Just the threat was enough as the forecast track was further west than the reality ended up being. I know it's fun to try and deduce complex reasons for things but this is pretty much all there is to the low attendance in '05, very few souls wanted to risk getting caught in a big hurricane after the nightmare that was Katrina. Maybe the posts from back then are still around somewhere.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Blackarachnia1996

Maybe from a few people, but not an overwhelming majority. I remember it not really being much of a talking point. My family still went. The big issue was that it was in September and people couldn’t get the time off or away from school, or they were over all the bullshit that came along with OTFCC and were waiting it out to see if the new iteration was a success or not. The location was also out of a lot of people’s way. I don’t think Rita was as large of a factor as you think it was, but go off I guess.

15. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It was also likely low attendance due to sticker shock. Probably a lot of factors contributed to it..

• Like Like x 1
  16. AutobotSDG

AutobotSDG Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure it was a combination of all 3 of these that would've contributed to it. Plus, wasn't there rumors that the hotel had bedbugs that put fear in some minds, or am I thinking of a different year?

17. Beastbot X

Beastbot X Eye-Goon > Perceptor

News Credits:
    That was 2015.

• Like Like x 4
  18. AutobotSDG

AutobotSDG Well-Known Member

Ah... ok, well I was only 10 years off.

• Like Like x 5
  19. Gumblor Gimbles

Gumblor Gimbles Overjoyed at the prospect of buying a plastic rat

News Credits:
    Ah, all is in order then. We may sleep easy until 2021. Blue Bluestreak would be nice too.

20. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    Agreed. Some of my favorite TF fiction was from Funpub: Beast Wars Uprising, The Nexus Prime story...
    The most valuable thing about the club imo was that it could do things and focus on non-84 characters to an extent Hasbro won't ever allow in mainstream TF fiction.

• Like Like x 1