Botcon Returns in 2021

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by neospark1, Jan 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Even more reason for Botcon to avoid doing official characters, then, as their budget will no doubt be quite lower than FunPub's. They'll be limited to simple repaints, and any official characters they try will be far inferior to Hasbro's releases.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    yea, honestly when 3h did repaints of official characters it worked, given the setting they were working in. tm tigatron was awesome, tm2 arcee was post maximal upgrade/an entirely new body, wreckers skywarp (released in universe, but created by 3h in 2001) and cyclonus were the original sparks in vehicon drone bodies etc etc. they crafted the story to allow for the characters to not be accurate and to allow the characters to literally have new bodies

3. Ikkstakk

News Credits:
    Yeah, it worked twenty years ago, I don't think it would work today. IgnikaMarcus mentioned getting that Cyclonus for $20 on eBay. I'd chalk that up to there being a number of superior Cyclonus toys out there today, both official and 3rd party, and there's no interest in an old not-really-Cyclonus toy anymore.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Fenrys

News Credits:
    but thats missing the point of what it was. it wasnt g1 cyclonus, it was vehicon cyclonus. you're right that it probably wouldn't work today and that is primarily because the vocal minority of the fandom is hyper obsessed with 100% cartoon accuracy, however given the time period 3h botcon operated in (beast era where many characters got drastic redesigns every year), their official character uses were much better done than funpubs most of the time

5. G.B. Blackrock

G.B. Blackrock Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    Please don't tell me what sold out and what didn't. I know that stuff extremely well. I've maintained those numbers.

But it's apples and oranges. Stuff that was produced in only small numbers sells out faster than stuff produced in large numbers. And 3H numbers (pre-2002) weren't that large to begin with.

Tigatron2002 has already given a far better response to challenge my assertion that the pre-Fun Pub model was unsustainable, and I've responded to that. I think that's where things need to stand for now. I have little more to add to that discussion.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    • Like Like x 7
  6. Smitty.1981

Smitty.1981 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like where your head's at.

7. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    What's ironic about Hasbro ignoring G1 back in those days is that nowadays Hasbro's pretty much ignoring everything non G1 with the exception from the movies in favor of doing nothing but G1 24/7 with no end in sight.

Funny how the tables have turned though not so fun for the non G1 fans. :/

• Like Like x 3
  8. Ikkstakk

News Credits:
    Exactly, which is why in my opinion if Botcon tries to do established characters as exclusives, all they'll succeed in doing is annoying everyone.

9. G.B. Blackrock

News Credits:
    What if new-BotCon were to start doing established non-G1 characters? Since Hasbro still seems reluctant to go that route.

• Like Like x 2
  10. kaijuguy19

News Credits:
    Sad part is that even if people are accepting of Botcon willing to do established non G1 characters the chances of Botcon doing exclusive figures of popular non G1 characters are as good as the next Genenrations trilogy focusing on the Unicron Trilogy after WFC is finished which is basically not good at all.

We don't have a lot of non G1 characters in the Selects line let alone in the mainline so there's a good chance that it won't be happening at botcon either.

11. G.B. Blackrock

News Credits:
    What would Selects have to do with BotCon's decisions?

12. kaijuguy19

News Credits:
    I was just trying to make a statement on how little Hasbro thinks about the Non G1 characters and their fans in general that we don't even get most of them in even exclusive lines as Selects which means that if Hasbro is in more charge of Botcon then before then that type of thinking would very likely carry over to Botcon.

13. Fenrys

News Credits:
    botcon as it stands currently doesn't even have affiliation with hasbro, if anything they will have less control

• Like Like x 1
  14. G.B. Blackrock

News Credits:
    I'm not sure that Hasbro's opinion matters, but to the extent that they don't think about the non-G1 characters much, that's the entire reason why perhaps new-BotCon should. They run less risk of having their work made less relevant by later retail releases, while scratching an itch for characters many fans have wanted to see more of.

The whole assumption here re: BotCon is that Hasbro isn't in charge anymore. At best, they'll allow BotCon to sell some exclusive toys, just like they did in the days before BotCon became official.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Ikkstakk

News Credits:
    It might be worth a try. There was a decent amount of enthusiasm for the 2017 Botcon set that never came to be, and that one had a number of Unicron Trilogy homages in it.

16. SHIELD Agent 47

SHIELD Agent 47 生死有命,富貴在天

News Credits:
    <insert clever comment from foreign fans begging TakaraTomy to release Armada Convoy>

• Like Like x 3
  17. Maximus Danz

Maximus Danz Trying to achieve something

News Credits:
    That Takara's spoke person's response was hilarious...

I have enough Armada fan tears to last till they actually do armada toys again!

• Like Like x 5
  18. kaijuguy19

News Credits:
    While the idea of Botcon doing exclusive figures for the major non G1 characters is possible it's also a very disheartening idea of non G1 fans having to resort to getting tough to buy exclusive figures in order to suit their needs sine Hasbro isn't willing to do that for mainline Generations. They shouldn't have to do that like how G1 fans shouldn't have to resort to buying exclusive figures of major G1 characters. It also again reeks of Hasbro not giving a slag about their non G1 fans.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying what your idea on that is stupid and wrong and if it comes across that way I apologize. I'm just talking about how it's sad that non G1 fans could resort into doing something like that after being denied mainline love from Hasbro.

19. G.B. Blackrock

News Credits:
    I don't really disagree, but you seem to be arguing something utterly irrelevant to the point.

Hasbro will do whatever they want to do (or don't want to do, as the case may be). BotCon would, at most, be stepping up to fill a gap. They wouldn't be CREATING that gap, and thus should not be criticized for offering such characters as Hasbro declines to do. Even if BotCon DID make such figures, Hasbro could always change their minds and issue those characters at retail. FunPub proved this over and over.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  20. kaijuguy19

News Credits:
    That's true. I'm not denying the fact that Hasbro HAS done official updates to characters that were before represented in Botcon. All the same we need to also remember that even in that time G1 was always more on Hasbro's mind in some manner or another but the same can't be said for the eras that came after it. Otherwise we would have seen a lot more BW updates after Botcon 2016 but we haven't. We'll have to see eventually and I also apologize for not getting what you were trying to say before.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.