Botcon Returns in 2021

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by neospark1, Jan 27, 2020.

1. G.B. Blackrock

G.B. Blackrock Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    The context was TFExpo. And this is a Transformers forum. I didn't think I needed to spell it out.

• Like Like x 2
  2. geekatron prime

geekatron prime fathers brothers nephews cousins former roomate!

Just going to wait and see what developes over the year. Long way to summer 2021. Hopefully Botcon shows up near my neck of the woods. Would really like to go at least once.

3. Hollywood Hoist

Hollywood Hoist Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    but were you and the other organizers making your living on the money made from the con? We all need to remember that people worked full time at FP, that their livelihoods depended on the profits generated by the club and the conventions. For most of us small con runners, it’s a hobby or side business.

• Like Like x 3
  4. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's Zvil!"

News Credits:
    LOL! No. Anyone who tries to make a living off conventions is gambling with their money.
    How many of them were actually full-time? Anyway, I think it just proves my point that smaller local conventions are the way to go if you're not going for toy exclusives. Generally better ran thanks to fewer logistics and more affordable. That's not to take anything away from Botcon...but I think a lot of my best memories came from between 1998 and 2003 when they were more "medium-sized" and not the huge event it became later on.

• Like Like x 6
  5. ShadowMagnus

ShadowMagnus Sekai no Hakaishin

Twitter:
    YouTube:
    *enters thread to read what people are talking about..:eek: :eek: :eek: ...Leaves thread to never return to it*

• Like Like x 4
  6. cbff

cbff Destroyer of Botcon (Retired)

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    I mean, if I could work one weekend a year, have my toys paid for, and collect a 5 figure salary while doing it, I'd do it too. However, those full time employees are exactly why we had $500 box sets.

It's much better for the fans if the con is a labor of love and not how your make your living.

• Like Like x 9
  7. Hollywood Hoist

News Credits:
    I have no idea how many were full time, but it’s something to consider when reflecting on their price structure. While not everyone loved the direction FP Botcon went in, it seems like it was fairly successful considering they lasted over 10 years.

small cons versus large cons, I think each have their pros and cons. I had experiences at Botcon that no small con will be able to do (Hasbro tour, Paramount party), but small cons have that more loose hangout vibe, where you’re not rushing to the next thing.

It’s not one weekend a year, there is all the leg work setting up two different cons in a different state from where you reside, putting together the magazine working with Hasbro on exclusives, shipping out thousands of items year round. They didn’t show up on Thursday of the con with everything in place.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2020
  8. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    I do think we're overexaggerating how many people not named Brian Savage were full-time employees working on Botcon and JoeCon.

• Like Like x 3
  9. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    Really hope they keep their promises on not making the mistakes the previous Botcons have made. There's a lot to gain from making the new Botcon better for everyone and I hope they don't squander it.

• Like Like x 5
  10. Hollywood Hoist

News Credits:
    probably, but there are a lot of criticism based on assumptions, when the reality is no one here as any idea of the cost that went along with running that business and putting on the conventions.

11. Blam320

Blam320 Assembly Inventor

News Credits:
    SDCC is so incredibly exclusive, though, not like BotCon. Basically, to get into SDCC you either need to have already gone a year, or you get chosen at random.

12. G.B. Blackrock

G.B. Blackrock Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    Yeah... I got my ID several months ago, and was online during the registration window this year, but never won the lottery that would have allowed me to actually register to attend.

I'm not too upset about it, but despite (or, probably in many ways, because of) the huge number of attendees, it's not something just anyone can get to.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Autobot City Comics 2008

Autobot City Comics 2008 Drama Geek

News Credits:
    the only ones that were full time for years were BRIAN, Lanny and Pete the rest were volunteers that only paid with convention sets

14. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    I'm not making assumptions because I'VE DONE IT BEFORE.
    And there you go. I guess higher prices to cover about $100,000 (I'm guessing) in wages across two conventions per year? When you put together a convention and it's not your day job, you can make everything much more affordable for the consumer as the biggest costs then are guests, venue and marketing. The venue can be covered by selling dealer tables and the other two are paid for via registration and walk-ins. Again, you don't go into the business expecting a huge profit. I was happy to break even and any profit usually ended up being forwarded towards the next year, not pocketed.

• Like Like x 4
  15. Hollywood Hoist

News Credits:
    I didn’t mean running just a convention, as I also run a Transformers fan convention and understand the cost associated, I meant more of the whole year long business model. It’s interesting that none of the others were paid employees.

Either way that was old Botcon which will be different from this new iteration. I’m excited to see what they put together.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Smitty.1981

Smitty.1981 MEGATRON ATTACK

News Credits:
    That's true for a lot of things if you change fans to people and con to job.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Action Master Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'm pretty sure it's been said about 5,488 times already, but the price of the box sets were dictated by smaller production runs, lots more paint than retail releases (one of the biggest expenses, which is why we saw crappy stickers at retail for awhile) extra parts from other molds, shipping those toys to the Botcon HQ and then to the Botcon location as well, etc, etc.

I highly doubt much of the money from the box sets went to salaries...

• Like Like x 5
  18. cbff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Autobot City forgot about Angie. So 4 salaries actually.

So if we use the math from Botcon 2005 for example.
    1250 box sets x $265 = $331250.00
    450 loose sets x $140 = $63000.00
    500 ratchet/flareups x $65 = $32500.00
    400 clones x $35 = $14000.00
    Total = $440750.00

So let's assume all 4 employees each made $35000.00 minimum. That's $140000.00 in expenses on payroll. That's still 31.76% of the sales just on the toys going to payroll. Even if we split in half to allocate it to the GIJoe con, that's still 16% of the cost going to salary.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
  19. Autobot City Comics 2008

Autobot City Comics 2008 Drama Geek

News Credits:
    Actually it was 7 I just didn’t want to throw there names out there, does it really matter what they made ? How many worked there ? Man just be excited for another transformers Convention to go hang out with your friends. That’s the way I see it

• Like Like x 4
  20. cbff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Oh snap. It does matter when the myth of the cost of the toys was always used to justify the prices when the cost of the payroll was much higher.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5