Botcon Jazz and Grimlock revealed.

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Turnip, Feb 21, 2008.

1. MECHADOOM

MECHADOOM I'm Doombot and I know it

You know, while I think the colour choices are alright, it would have been interesting to see what straight-up colour-swapping with counterparts would have been like. Here's what I mean: (and for everything, the vice-versa)

Optimus Prime in Megatron`s colours,
    Bumblebee and Cliffjumper in Rumble and Frenzy colours,
    reverse the first three seekers with Prowl, Bluestreak, and Smokescreen,
    OR do Starscream in Hot Rod`s colours, complete with flames

When this set was announced, this is what I kinda wanted to see.

2. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

If G1 Megatron had "Peace on Earth!" written on his barrel while still looking the same, would you say he was heroic looking? Probably not.

3. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Am happy for BotCon!

4. Moonstreaker

Moonstreaker The Evil Triplet

Ebay:
    My opinions on what we've seen up until this point...

The Good:
    -new head sculpt for Goldbug
    -new head sculpt for Jazz

The Bad:
    -everything else about this set...total let down after last year.

5. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Moderator

News Credits:
    Jazz looks sweet. I'm glad I'm confirmed for my Primus package.

6. stad

stad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not sure where this misconception comes from (I've seen it a lot!) but FP using the other 3 seekers did not eliminate them from Classics. Classics was dead, and the 3 seekers would not have been made, if it wasn't for the con set. FP has to have everything approved by Hasbro, and has to ask to use the molds and idea, and if its something Hasbro is going to do they will not let them do it. Hasbro was not going to make the other three seekers.

Now, you can say maybe that's changed with Classics coming back, and maybe it has. But you certainly can't fault the club for stepping in and filling a void that was determined, at the time, wasn't going to be filled.

7. Hollywood Hoist

Hollywood Hoist Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm with you, it looks like a direct homage other than those few details people have mentioned. that being said I do like it, I was just hoping for a unique color scheme like the others got.

I'm very happy I bought the box set.

8. Lupis Convoy

Lupis Convoy Paw Prince Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Honestly, I was meh on the set originally. I wasn't sold on the set's concept.

That said: TryptiGrim... Awesome job. :) 

Jazz: Love the head sculpt. The decos rock. This set has the deco's done well.. and for that I am amazed. Hasbro's deco's aren't this original most of the time. :)  Great job.

Pete@Botcon, Thank you for not only a great job on this set this year, but also taking the complaints and constructive criticism in stride. I know a lot of us can be supercritical, as is the nature of the fandom beast.

9. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I like them. As far as Jazz goes, there have been "good" cons in the past, G1 Starscream and Movie Barricade to name two. They're in disguise so as to lull their enemies into a false sense of security. I see the same thing with this Jazz.

The Starscream looking like Jetfire was a suprise. I can see how it would disapoint some and please others. Me, I do like it. It's the kind of homage repaint that let's it be more than one character in one's imagination.

Grimlock in Trypticon colors was expected and looks good on the mold. Yet it's not in any way a Trypticon style mold so again I can see bot points of view. How else would this have been colored better to make fans happy? Paint him to look like BW Dinobot? Red, Black and yellow like a G1 Predacon? Grimlock has always danced on the edge between good and evil. I'd just have been happy seeing him in his Classic colors but all Battle Damaged and dirty. Like he never bothered to clean himself after rending an opponet to shreds.

All in all, I think this year's set isn't all that bad and despite the G2 styled slogans painted on it, the Jazz will sit on my Classics shelf untill Hasbro makes me a new one. In fact, the painted on Slogans are about the only thing I dislike about the toys now that I think about it.

10. Maximo Prime

Maximo Prime Bassist of Ill Repute

Ebay:
    Jazz is the only one so far that screams FIND ME ON EBAY!!!

11. G.B. Blackrock

G.B. Blackrock Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    Pete, whatever might be said about the set, you are to be commended for being able to "take" all the crap we send your way (FP's in general) and keep a generally positive attitude. Thank you.

12. KING KONVOY

KING KONVOY Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This will be my first time attending Botcon and I must say I'm disappointed! In my opinion, the mold used for Jazz is trash. I don't care if its an exclusive it looks like garbage to me and I would never buy it if it was in a store. I had Goldbug's head sculpt other than that it’s a great design. Grimlock color scheme is blah for me especially in bot mode. It makes a great mold boring. Maybe if they used a different shade of black like the one used for the upcoming SDCC Nemesis Prime. Speaking of the SDCC exclusive, I think it blows away Botcon Prime's paint scheme. I not a fan of battle damage but even without battle damage the Botcon paint scheme is inferior. I think the designers were lazy with Starscreams redeco. I’m not going to keep a complete set. I’m at least going to sell jazz. I hope the attendee only exclusives are better.

13. Baccala1976

Baccala1976 Well-Known Member

That's what I've been trying to say! Thank you!

14. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    I'm loving Grimlock, I like Prime's bot mode, kinda meh on his alt mode, and the others aren't wowing me the way I was expecting them to. I like the idea for Megatron, so I'll likely nab him, Prime and Grimlock, but overall this year just isn't lighting a fire for me.

Nothing against the funpub crew, I think they put a lot of effort into the designs, they're just not my particular cup of tea.

15. Pete Sync

Pete Sync Well-Known Member

News Credits:

Not to sound pompous, but the set numbers are doing great and the club is doing great so that makes it easier to "take."

Also, I think once people who attend the show have all XX number of toys on their shelves, see them in person (we have already had the photo conversation many times) and so on, people will be very happy with them.

Thanks G.B.

16. Otispq

Otispq Elocution Onymous

News Credits:
    That Jazz looks good, better than the original 'bots who got stuck with it. Nemesis Prime also sweet, but a pass on the Grimmy and Goldbug.

17. Noisemaze2006

Noisemaze2006 Banned

*SNIP* Trolling is not allowed at TFW2005, re-familiarize yourself with the board rules - TFW2005 STAFF

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2008
  18. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Paradigm-Shift Prime Unit Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

Meh and meh. They both look pretty darn ugly to me.

19. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    First time I'm not jealous about not getting to go to Botcon. :) 

20. Victorysabre

Victorysabre Born to Transform

News Credits:
    I know we've been getting plenty of new posters over on the club forum, so I can only imagine how many people have been signing up for the club that don't post. I'm looking forward to what you have in store for us in the near future Pete.