Botcon Jazz and Grimlock revealed.

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Turnip, Feb 21, 2008.

1. airfox

airfox TF: Cybertronian Wars!

News Credits:
    IMHO: (best to worst)

- Goldbug: Win. Win. Win. Great colors in car mode. Perfect blue head. Nice choice of mold. I love how that figure looks.

- Jazz: clearly meant more as a Classics stand-in than as a Shattered Glass figure. And I thank FP for that. My only complaint about Jazz relates to the mold chosen, but everything else: head, colors, slogans, etc. make him a win.

- Optimus Prime: not impressed by his bot mode, but his alt mode is great. Much better than an uninspired Nemesis repaint.

- Grimlock: I actually like pretty much how he turned out. I guess my only complaint is the "evil Grimlock = Trypticon" thing.

- Starscream: similar to Grimlock, didn't expect a Jetfire deco here. Also, I'm hoping the figure on eBay is not final. I expected at the very least a Starscream's head, i.e. dark helmet and gray face. If Goldbug can keep his blue head, why can't Starscream? ;) 

Guess we only need to see the mini-con and we'll be set.

I agree on both points.

IMO last year's set was much more fanwanky than this year's. We had G1 fanwanks, GoBots fanwanks, eHobby fanwanks.

P.S.: I think Jazz needs a goatee. :p 

-airfox

2. Optimus Prime

Optimus Prime TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I wasn't being serious.
    I doubt prices on eBay will be as high this year anyway, based on the fact that the reaction of the fans seems to be half positive, half negative, unlike last year when everyone was in a frenzy over the set.

3. Locke

Locke Team Vanguard

News Credits:
    It's funny how much tastes differ...I'm excited about the ones that I can use as stand-ins for my Cybertron-based universe (it's nice when the fiction is so bad that you can scrap it completely and come up with your universe.)

4. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    wwell, the new sculpt for Jazz's head is nice, but looks really out of place on that mold ~ the mold is to curved and organic, the G1 aesthetic head too angular.

and Grimlock just sucks.

this set = fail. (and after the last 2 were so awesome, if unattainable in 07s case)

5. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah I forgot to mention:

If Jazz had a goatee -deco'd- on (not sculpted) I think I'd like the figure twice as much.

6. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

Wow, Jazz would be amazing...if he was a Classic's 2.0 addition. But as a mirror universe evil Autobot he's a big failure. Just not evil looking, and the silly mottos don't cut the mustard. Not to mention the Cyb. Crosswise mold just sucks ass anyway.

Grimlock's not bad though.

7. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    On the other hand, at least last year's story concept didn't feel like bad fanfiction.
    I would have preferred Jazz to be in blood red with black/gold details. Red visor. Make the number "0". As he is, he just looks like "good guy" Jazz. Huge disappointment, IMO. He's a nice looking Jazz figure, sure, but he doesn't even remotely look evil.
    (however hopefully, that's the idea.)

8. stad

stad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I guess that came out kind of harsh, considering I didn't really think you were really serious.

I really don't think prices will be as high on eBay at all. Of course, with the Iacon's being cut off, I could be wrong.

I figure the set will do better than expected and will end up selling high, or the speculators will end up taking it in the tail end. Either way works. It'll either be another chance for collectors to see they need to pull their heads out in time for next year's registration, or a bunch of hoarders will take it in the shorts. It doesn't really bother me which group turns out to be the stupid ones, as everyone has an equal oppurtunity when the registration opened up.

9. benzo

benzo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm not a fan of that mold, but the G1 colors and new head mold makes me want it! :) 

10. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    This years collection just feels so incredibly hodge-podge it's indescribable.

11. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    Damn shame I can't just get the two classics figs (And whatever classics haven't been shown yet) and the heads off of Goldbug and Jazz

12. Victorysabre

Victorysabre Born to Transform

News Credits:
    I am sooo thrilled about this set. After last years, to me, boring set (three Seekers in one box? Oy), this set is frelling awesome!

Prime: One of my favorite Prime molds done in a deco that is not only original, but amazingly awesome. He looks like he's ready to commit some thuggery.

Goldbug: Wowwie! Now here's a hot figure. I love the Excellion mold, but this deco blows away every other deco the mold has had. And the new head is perfect.

Jazz: Niiiiice! I always liked the Autovolt mold. The new head and the deco are just awesome touches. I really love the racing decals on him.

Grimlock: I make no secret of the fact that this mold, I do not like. But the new deco helps. He's definetly my least favorite, but the "mid-late G1" deco is very nice to look at.

Starscream: Firstly, this is the best Seeker mold we've ever gotten. It's a nice size, posable, the key gimmick is minimally annoying (in fact I like it), the alt mode is a design I greatly enjoy, and his transformation is complex enough to be fun without being a headache. Secondly, while I have a feeling we havn't see the final colors on him, I really like what we have seen. Looks like G1 Jetfire in his armor even more than Classics Jetfire does.

I am really excited about this Botcon. I can't decide if I want to set aside a seperate display for it (like I have with my movie stuff and will with Animated), or if I want to integrate it into my main TF universe and just introduce the Evil Autobots and Heroic Decepticons as two new factions. Plenty of possibilities.

13. Caterwaul

Caterwaul Busou Shinki Loremaster

I like Jazz. The stickers are a cute touch, but I echo the 'doesnt really look evil' comments.

Grimlock is just a bit to boring. Of course, I never liked that sculpt to begin with so, there ya go.

14. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    I thought the autobots were supposed to be evil...jazz is kinda meh grimlock looks killer

15. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Maybe Jazz will be a character with second thoughts. At least I hope so. He doesn't look that evil to me either but I love the figure! The best so far.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2008
  16. Rayzilla Prime

Rayzilla Prime I RIP ALL MY RAZE!

I certainly won't be able to get these. Saving for Classics 2.0 and Animated. Cool stuff, though.

17. alphie

alphie Veteran

News Credits:
    I like the Jazz mold. :) 

18. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"Kill to win" doesn't seem that evil? :D 

19. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

Jazz's head sculpt looks great, but I'm really not a fan of the Crosswise mold.

Now, if I could get that head for my G1 repaint movie Jazz....

20. Wiggyof09

Wiggyof09 Well-Known Member

I think the Grimlock paint scheme is interesting. I think at first the idea of Grimlock in trypticon colors is cool, but then when you sit and think about it his scheme seems silly and not though through. Seems they went "well...trypticon is kinda t-rexy. Lets paint Grimlock that way!". Had it been a Trypticon figure, like Trypticon scaled back to conserve energon or something being the back story, it would have been great. However, I'm not so keen on this being evil Gimlock.

Jazz just isn't evil looking plan and simple. Seems they went this way just to get people a classics Jazz without eliminating the chance of a real classics jazz in the Universe line like they did with the seekers. Of course it does pretty much mean there will be no using this particular mold for a classics Jazz, which could be a good thing.

Goldbug rocks. I like the big looking chest. It's just a bad ass figure.

Prime....meh. Cool but...meh...