Botcon Figure #5 Reveal (General Sea Clamp)

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by T-Hybrid, Oct 27, 2015.

1. ron8675309

ron8675309 Exploding Salamander Of Exploding Salamanders

Actually the FSS Tarantulas represents his Season 1 body. Tripredacus Tarantulas represents his Season 2 Transmetal body.

2. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    If the toys don't match the show then the toy/show is wrong

Delete as appropriate.

3. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Gnodab Kidult (He/Him)

News Credits:
    Aside from the usual suspects once again thinking they speak for all BW fans when complaining about these figures, the most depressing thing about that last page is a reminder Ultra Class figures were only $25 in the 90s.

Inflation blows.

4. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

That doesn't make any sense, why would the pre BW version look like season 2 body? I mean both are more pre BW bodies, the bike is his infiltration to megs crew body and the 6 wheeler is his council body.

5. Verno

Verno Beast Wars Collector

News Credits:
    Beast Wars: The Agenda (Part 1) - Seeing the light

Let's start at the beginning -- the script.

As luck would have it, a downloadable copy of the original script for Agenda Part 1 exists online. Turning your attention to page 6 of the document (Page 5 of the script) we come to the scene in question. For your reading convenience, the extract:

I took the liberty of emboldening two very important pieces of information. Let those sink in as we move forward to the second part of this analysis -- the show.

Again, we are in luck, as the scene in question is available to view online. For those without the time to watch it, I'll do the hard work for you.

As the Council enter the scene, the room is illuminated by a single, white light source:

[​IMG]

As you can see, they are grey. Only after they activate the red lights on the table...

[​IMG]

... do they appear red. Red light, unsurprisingly, makes things looks red. Take this scene from Ghostbusters 2 for example:

[​IMG]

Allow all of that to sink in as we move on to the third part -- the creative process.

From the TF-Wiki:

Before I go on, I will preface by saying that everything I've said up to this point is factual. Only now will I begin to speculate, but given the acknowledgement of time constraints on the production, I don't think I'll be stepping too far from the bounds of reality.

The intention of the scene is clear -- to show mysterious figures in a shadowy command room. The use of red lights is outlined in the script, but given the limitations of time (and potentially the programs used to animate the show itself), shortcuts may have been used. The shortcut in this instance would be to render the three Tripredacus figures red after the lights have been turned on so as to help create the mood.

The white light on them at the beginning of the scene clearly shows them to be grey. The red lights on the table are there to act like a torch under the chin of someone telling a ghost story. It's supposed to look eerie. But perhaps the lights alone weren't achieving this, so they rendered the characters red to aid in this -- but I maintain this was never the intended colour scheme of the characters themselves. If it were, they would have appeared red when they entered the scene and were illuminated only by a single white light source.

6. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    In your bitching, I don't think you're even reading or properly thinking about what I said because you're just so desperate to complain.

The script called them by the same name as the toys, but because of time and money constraints they looked completely different. Hasbro SPECIFICALLY ASKED that they not be referred to by the toy names in the show because of this fact. Interpret that as you will, though I fail to see how "The toys are good representations" can be your conclusion. Honestly, it suggests to me that Hasbro wanted them to be considered entirely seperate for the same reasons they asked for AOE Strafe to not be called Swoop.

Before the red light went on, Sea Clamp appeared to be grey but Ramhorn and Cicadacon were more or less silhouettes as you can see in the photos you yourself posted. The way the scene is remembered is as them being red because that was the lighting of the scene. It was a short scene and the majority was in the red light. The Tripredacus council are associated with that red light. Their only scene was red. They only appeared in a brief sequence and, regardless of if it was just the lighting, they were red. I don't know how many ways I can rephrase that.

These toys have been given show-accurate heads and a red colourscheme to match what people saw in the show. The toys are irrelevant apart from same references such as Cicadacon's wing details or Ramhorn's leg details. Hell, Sea Clamp has been deco'ed to approximate his cloak from the show. I honestly don't know what point you're trying to prove. You wanted them to be toy accurate. Whatever. They're not. Move on. Your statement that the toys are just as accurate as the Botcon exclusives is not only wrong, it's utterly ridiculous.

7. Verno

Verno Beast Wars Collector

News Credits:
    My entire post was in responce to your comment about the RED LIGHTING IN THE SCENE -- NOT THE TOYS.

Where did I say that was my conclusion?

No, they're not silhouettes. Look at the picture again. Parts of their bodies are clearly visible in the white light and are grey. Moments later, under the red light, they are suddenly red.

Where did I say I wanted them to be toy accurate?

8. ron8675309

ron8675309 Exploding Salamander Of Exploding Salamanders

Take the attempts at continuity with these figures with an enormous grain of salt. It is fairly obvious that the deco on bike Tarantulas is meant to evoke his Season 1 appearance, and the deco on Rook Tarantulas is meant to evoke his Transmetal appearance. How you're meant to reconcile that the Rook body is his pre-Predacon body while having the same colors and motifs as his Transmetal body isn't really relevant in this case, and I'm not even going to attempt to try and make sense of that.

9. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Why is the defense for not having toy colors "we already got a Tripredacus in those colors"?

Why have a Generations line at all? We already have versions of those characters, too, in those colors...

From the sound of it, though, they're not going to concede on the colors, which is disappointing to me. Based on all of the hate, I may just pick this set up on the aftermarket since it'll likely be cheaper than getting through the club. I want it to be complete, but I just don't feel excited about it. Some red would be ok, but surely there could have been a happy medium between that and the toys. Just because it's "show accurate" doesn't mean it LOOKS good.

10. Big Filipino

Big Filipino John 3:16-17 says it all

News Credits:
    While I like the theme, I find the actual toys of this set very underwhelming.

11. TaintedPiffy

TaintedPiffy Well-Known Member

These clearly aren't show accurate! The red is just the lighting! Despite how almost everyone remembers the most striking thing about that scene, now that we've examined and nit-picked the absolute tiniest details of those three characters, we surely can now all agree on one thing. If they going to do show-accurate depictions, they should've all been made in washed-out gunmetal grey from head to toe.

Then we could all complain about how perfectly boring *those* colors are.

12. Markdelg

Markdelg Spin Road fan

News Credits:
    I wasn't asked to do jack shit.

His head isn't show accurate. It's accurate to the Binaltech Battle Ravage toy's head (which this new toy is entirely based on), which was itself based on the Jaguar X-9 toy's head, which wasn't show accurate either. Ravage in the show had a head made from Tigatron's beast mode head CGI, colored black.

And the ironic thing is, you're right. Three gunmetal gray combiner pieces would look crappy as hell, no matter how many paint applications they used. And really, so what if they were gray but the lighting made them look red? Red is what people associate with the Tripredacus Council from the show because of that. They stick out like red sore thumbs. And so they went with red because that's how the lighting made them look for 99% of the scene.

13. Lord Black Cat

Lord Black Cat Combat Hero Shadow

The lighting is actually really messed up in that scene and shows just how rushed the scene was. When they enter, the three appear grey. When they turn the red lights on, they appear red. The colors are not consistent as the overhead lights flash around. Parts that should be grey with the lighting are now red. Overall, it's like the damn Council changes colors.

Also it's weird that you're all surprised it's red. Whenever they pop up in Fun Pub comics they always have a red tint, usually mixed with the silver/grey.

14. Markdelg

Markdelg Spin Road fan

News Credits:
  15. T-Hybrid

News Credits:
    Oooh good choice!

Is he supposed to look like BW2 Galvatron? I can't remember if that's who BW Megatron became in their universe.

16. Sa173533

Sa173533 Well-Known Member

That's BW Megatron's Dawn of Future's Past appearance, outside his transformable armor suit.

He wanted someone to digibash CW Rook into DoFP Megatron's transformable armor suit, you know, with Megatron in the suit.

17. T-Hybrid

News Credits:
    I'm just wondering if he look was intentionally similar...

Attached Files:

18. Sa173533

Yeah, that version of Megatron does have some visual cues from BWII Galvatron if you have a keen eye.

19. Markdelg

Markdelg Spin Road fan

News Credits:
    Actually no. I wanted someone to give Rook the same coloration as Megatron without his suit, since that was his original body in the first episode of BW. I thought it would be a homage to both his original body and his suit from DoFP.

20. Sa173533

Oh. I'm sorry for mistaking that request then.