Botcon Figure #5 Reveal (General Sea Clamp)

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by T-Hybrid, Oct 27, 2015.

1. Sa173533

Sa173533 Well-Known Member

Well, we didn't get toys of their show forms. In fact, the Tripredacus Council were supposed to have the Tripredacus component figures for their models, but time constraints stopped that from happening.

Also, the color scheme can change as well. Remember Obsidian from the BotCon Machine Wars set? The figure was originally shown in his toy colors, but was later redecoed into a more show-accurate color scheme. What's not to say the color schemes for the Tripredacus Council figures in this set won't have some color scheme modifications before BotCon 2016?

2. Verno

Verno Beast Wars Collector

News Credits:
    1. You and I have very different definitions of 'brand new'.

2. Chrome? Where?

3. A car with cat head? It's already been done.

4. Figures of those characters have existed since 1997.

5. That's kinda just Point 1 again, isn't it?

3. neospark1

neospark1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's called a summary. Handily available for a free read again. Ha!

4. scrapmetaru

scrapmetaru Well-Known Member

Sir, you were asked to choose from two options, not to make up a third option.

Who would choose RID over BW? Who would choose one season of a bad dub of generic anime over three seasons of the first transformers show that ever cared about more than just toy sales (of course they were still trying to sell toys).

5. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    So? Besides which, Battle Ravage wasn't a Combiner.

Which is honestly pretty damn loosely speaking. It's the equivalent of saying Ratchet already has an acceptable toy if he only had his G1 version. There are toys that are called the Tripredacus, but look nothing like they did in the show using the names from the original script that Hasbro asked them to not use in the show.

6. Verno

News Credits:
    What about Predacus is brand new? The toys aren't. The characters aren't. And the name is a lazy decapitation of a previous one.

I'm looking. All I see is paint. Has it been announced he'll come with chrome?

You were very excited about a Ravage with a cat head. But it's already been done and available at retail.

You said 'toys of those figures' in your original post. And as has been debated previously in this thread, these BotCon toys represent the Tripredacus Council from the show as closely as the show models represent the original toys. That is, not at all.

A summary is a summary, usually prefaced by "In summary..." rather than a continuation of a numbered list.

7. Verno

News Credits:
    He was excited about a Ravage with a cat head on a robot. It's already been done. It's not new.

No, it's not the equivalent of that at all. We've hashed out why the models don't look like the toys, but they are who they are.

8. Starscream Gaga

News Credits:
    He was excited about a new Ravage toy. Some people, like myself with Beast Megatron toys, get excited about the prospect of getting a new toy of a character they like.

You hav'nt "hashed out" anything. The heads ALONE make these better representations than the original toys. It is ridiculously ignorant to say otherwise. The comparison with Ratchet is spot on. Perhaps Tripredicus is even worse seeing as they were never called by name in the actual show!

Look, I know among the Beast Wars fandom it isn't cool to like what we get and what I should be doing is complaining that there's no new mold Titan-Class Elephorca coming out or whatever, but I really like this boxset and some of the complaints are just so asinine.

9. Verno

News Credits:
    If you're happy with it, I'm delighted for you. But if all you're after is a robot with a cat head, then Alternators Ravage already exists to fill that hole, or even -- heaven forbid -- the X9 Ravage from Takara.

I'm sorry, but the issue has indeed been hashed out. The models in the show don't look like the original Tripredacus toys because of time and monetary constraints on Mainframe. The names may not have been spoken in the show, but they are present for all to see in the script.

Again, I'm glad you like it. But as far as I was aware, the response from the fandom to Generations Waspinator, Rattrap and Rhinox was overwhelmingly positive. Frustration creeps in when they aren't followed up with more of their kind. Instead, we get an Animated retool and Combiner Wars Redacus, sans the 'p'.

10. griffin-of-oz

griffin-of-oz Ozformers site-owner

News Credits:
    Voyager cores out so far (9)
    Hasbro Optimus
    Hasbro Silverbolt
    Hasbro Motormaster
    Hasbro Cyclonus
    Hasbro Hotspot
    Hasbro Battle Core Optimus
    TT Silverblot
    TT Motormaster
    TT Grand Scourge

Deluxe limbs out so far (26)
    Hasbro Airraid, Skydive, Alpha Bravo, Firefly
    Hasbro Dragstrip, Deadend, Offroad, Breakdown
    Hasbro Rook, Streetwise, Blades, Firstaid
    Hasbro Mirage, Ironhide, Prowl, Sunstreaker
    Hasbro JP Quickslinger, Breakneck
    TT Airraid, Skydive, Slingshot, Fireflight
    TT Dragstrip, Deadend, Wildrider, Breakdown

Voyager cores to come (11-16)
    Hasbro Onslaught
    Hasbro Scattershot
    Hasbro Skylynx
    Hasbro Gen2 Motormaster
    Hasbro Gen2 Silverbolt
    Hasbro Pyra Magna (Victorion)
    TT Hotspot (Guardian)
    TT Convoy (Grand Prime)
    TT Onslaught (already teased)
    CC Bludgeon (Mayhem Maximus)
    BC Seaclamp (Predacus)
    (TT Skylynx - very likely)
    (TT Scattershot - possible)
    (BC another Voyager sold at-show - likely)
    (Hasbro Gen2 Onslaught - possible)
    (Hasbro Gen2 Hotspot - possible)

Deluxe limbs to come (45-63)
    Hasbro Brawl, Blast Off, Vortex, Swindle
    Hasbro Hound, Smokescreen, Trailbreaker, Wheeljack
    Hasbro Gen2 Dragstrip, Dead End, Breakdown, Break-Neck
    Hasbro Gen2 Air Raid, Skydive, Quickslinger, Firefly
    Hasbro (Victorion) Stormclash, Skyburst, Jumpstream, Dustup
    TT Groove, Streetwise, Firstaid, Blades
    TT Mirage, Sustreaker, Prowl, Ironhide
    TT Blastoff, Brawl, Vortex, Swindle (already teased)
    CC Windsweeper, Ruckus, Needlenose, Spinister, Impactor
    BC Ravage, Ramhorn, Tarantulas, Cicadacon
    (TT Hound, Smokescreen, Trailbreaker, Wheeljack - very likely)
    (TT 4 Technobots - possible)
    (BC 2-4 more Deluxes sold at the show - likely)
    (Hasbro JP Groove & Blastoff (if new mold) - possible)
    (Hasbro 4 Gen2 Combaticons - possible)
    (Hasbro 4 Gen2 Protectobots - possible)

If people think it is already a lot of Combiner toys released so far today and are bored with seeing them used for BotCon, we already have confirmed more to come than already released... plus a fair few on top of that which have pretty good odds of being released by Hasbro or TakaraTomy next year.

11. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    Actually, compared to Victoritron who got seven head retools, each member has unique detailing, a multi-part combining sword, new hands and feet (the latter having what I think are ankle tilts), and all six members have a more unified paint scheme...

Well, Predacus just comes across as lackluster given I figure the price of only the box set is going to be on par with Victoritron's MSRP.
    ...we already got a Transmetal Tarantulas this year.
    [​IMG]
    So did the original Jaguar X9 toy...
    [​IMG]

Uh...nobody? Because technically the Tripedacus Council already existed as toys?
    [​IMG]

You mean like First Aid?
    [​IMG]

Or Streetwise?
    [​IMG]

Really, people are more excited about Ramhorn having that drill because it pretty much confirms the mainline retail series is going to eventually release a redeco as Nosecone.

Hell, if you think about it..."Predacus" is pretty much just Computron already:

Scattorshot mold torso
    jet limb
    car limb
    bike limb (given what Transmetal Tarantulas actually turned into, he is filling Afterburner's role in spirit if not in form)
    drill tank limb

So...yeah, nothing really noteworthy with Predacus.

[​IMG]
    That is pretty clearly a LOT of red for the main body of Predacus. And given we can see the combiner mode chest piece on the robot mode's left leg...that also is super red so we can infer not much is going to change from robot mode to torso mode with this guy (as torso mode is just inverting the robot mode so the arms turn into the upper thighs, the knees become the shoulders, and the chest halves fold over the robot mode codpiece)

[​IMG]

He also was an ultra class toy and came with the closest thing to an official Golden Disc accessory in the franchise at the time.

12. Starscream Gaga

News Credits:
    Why does that matter? We have never had toys that look like they did on the show. If what you're mainly interested in is the show, they're not satisfactory representations.

Again, Botcon toys are always retools. While I'm at it, Blackarachnia was released in a Wave of retools and has been heavily retooled and redecoed to match her animation model as closely as possible within the constraints.

13. Verno

News Credits:
    These BotCon toys aren't "satisfactory representations" either.

You said Beast Wars fans complain about everything. I gave an example of them not complaining. It has nothing to do with BotCon toys vs mainline toys and BotCon toys having to be retools. We all know that.

14. Starscream Gaga

News Credits:
    Why not? They have the same colours and heads we saw in the show. In the show they never came to Earth, so they would have had vehicle modes and it's not like the animation models had any kibble to indicate what they were supposed to turn into.

You said that it was frustrating that this was the follow-up. I'm just saying that this particular follow-up couldn't really have been anything else. Keep in mind that Generations Beast Wars toys of Rattrap and Tankor came out in the last few Waves before Hasbro adopted this new "themed" Generations toys. There way of doing things hasn't really left much room open for BW toys.

15. Verno

News Credits:
    The BotCon toys are as close to the show models as the show models are to the original toys -- that is, no wehere near. Using the argument that their colours bring accuracy is ridiculous. It's like saying G1 Ironhide is a good representation of one of the Tripredacus Council because he's red and black.

No, more Generations toys would have been a follow-up. But instead, we got Combiner Wars and now Titans Return. Themed lines, as you said.

Legends Blackarachnia and these BotCon toys are other Beast Wars references, all of which are underwhelming in my opinion, and add to the frustrations felt within the fandom.

16. Starscream Gaga

News Credits:
    No. Like, oh my GOD, no. No it's not. These toys have been given new heads and colourschemes that are specifically mean't to look like the show models. To say they look just as much like the show models as the original toys is utterly ridiculous.

17. Verno

News Credits:
    A new head and paint, that's all it takes? So if FunPub put a Cicadacon head on Energon Omega Supreme and painted him red, that makes him Cicadacon, yeah? Using your criteria, it does.

Also, this:
    [​IMG]
    Red lights turn things red. I'm firmly in the camp that the Tripredacus Council are not red, but merely reflecting the red light in the room.

18. TM2 Dinobot

TM2 Dinobot closet otaku

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's like... I want to back Verno up, because BW fans are becoming rarer and we need to stick together. But at the same time, he's illustrating why BW fans are becoming rarer.

Look, Verno. You don't like the toys. You don't like BW characters rendered as beasts. With very few exceptions, neither do I. You don't care for Combiner Wars. I outright hate it too. So I understand where you're coming from, I truly, truly do.

But here's the thing. Like it or not, deserving better or not, this is what we're getting! There is NO changing that. They may tweak the colors, but this is it and it is here to stay, and dumb idea or not, it is going in the wiki and will become BW canon and neither you nor I nor Bob Forward himself can stop that.

So, I'm not telling you to shut up. Just, maybe, you need to reevaluate the amount of energy you're throwing at this?

19. Verno

News Credits:
    Haha, I appreciate the sentiment mate. And I understand what you're saying, and you're right. Once news and pics of MP Primal comes out, I'll be happy as a lamb. Until then, I'm gonna be anxious and frustrated.

As for the amount of energy I'm putting into this, don't worry -- I'm just killing time before work.

20. Starscream Gaga

News Credits:
    No it wouldn't, but with the exception of maybe Sea Clamp (although I can see the logic of using the dual-gunned Scattorshot as a lobster) all members of Predacus have fitting vehicle modes based on what the original toys turned into. A tank with a drill to approximate a rhinoceros beetle's horn. A jet with insect-wing detailing to approxiate a cicada, a black sports car like Ravage has been before, an ATV with multiple wheels and windows coloured to resemble spider eyes...

As for the red-lighting, as I've said, it's not like we have anything to indicate what colours they were before the light went on (Sea Clamp MAY have been grey), but also it's not exactly uncommon for the colours of an exclusive toy to represent the character under a certain lighting.