Botcon dealer room question

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by Prowl2000, Apr 30, 2007.

1. Prowl2000

Prowl2000 Keep it sealed

Ebay:
    Do the dealers charge sales tax? If so, people should know RI has a 7% sales tax.

2. KidDynamite

KidDynamite Do good recklessly Veteran

Twitter:
    They're technically supposed to, or at least they were at the last two Botcons.

It's kind of hit or miss which ones actually do though...most of them don't. If they follow the letter of the law and pay taxes, they take it out of their total take rather than complicate matters by trying to figure sales tax on every transaction.

3. xZAOx

xZAOx Yep.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    At Botcon last year, the only dealer who charged me tax was one that was actually based of out KY.

4. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch

News Credits:
    I think it all depends. If they're strictly handling cash then it's easier to fudge the numbers... if they do that sort of thing. That or they just roll the taxes into the price, that way they don't have to calculate it on the fly. I think most do the latter.

5. Hotspot17

Hotspot17 Search and Rescue: Vet

News Credits:
    I think I know the answer already but they all only take cash? I guess there's no way of charging credit cards. :( 

6. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

BBTS takes cards. I think one or two of the other larger stores do as well (CapturedPrey might, you can PM Sidecutter directly if you want). But yeah, cash is mostly king.

Hit the ATM early, I've heard it empties out.

7. BigPhill

BigPhill Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Yea only one of the dealers charged me tax last year. Can't remember the name but it was a dealer at the back opposite TFSource.

8. xZAOx

xZAOx Yep.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    While we're on the subject, does the club store take credit cards? I'm wondering if I need to bring extra cash just for the attendee exclusives.

9. gen1fan

gen1fan G1 PRIME FROM VA TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    the Hasbro store, BIg Bad Toy Store, Captured Prey, I not 100% sure but I think they were the only ones that did charge the true sale tax.

As far as most of the smaller dealer goes most had the sale taxes worked into their sale prices. But For myself as a dealer I only camed about 10% of my true income over the weekend. Plus you have to count for trip expensive, and the booth cost, until I recover from that I do not start adding up my sales.

10. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Former Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Mm yeah, basically. Had to have something to report, but I was somewhat lax about it. It will just be worked into my pricing this year, because it's a hassle to have to deal with it on top of the normal pricing.

Unfortunately, this year they expect us to pay up before we're allowed to vacate the dealer room at the end of the weekend.

11. gen1fan

News Credits:

Plus you guys always had to firgue out the change due to them and I saw at least one guy drop the items and walk away cause the line for check out was a few people deep. as far as paying I heard we have up to one month after the show to pay them?

12. xZAOx

xZAOx Yep.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Not according to this year's brochure. It says dealers have to pay before they can leave.

13. rework

rework The Voice of Experience

Almost all the dealers factor sales tax into the price. Instead of pricing at $20, make the price $22. Things move pretty quick and no one wants to be sitting there with a calculator adding 7% and then having to make change.

They've required Sales Tax IDs for about 8 or 9 years now. This is nothing new. But tracking it may actually be a challenge for some dealers. I've always kept the price tags for all items I sell to be accurate. This year I'm just going to have to add them up before leaving. But I'm sure plenty of dealers do just pocket the money and make up a total later... I think everyone better have a plan because I wouldn't be surprised to see state officials make an appearance and check. It happened back at the NC show.

14. Sidecutter

News Credits:
    It should be noted that it was a pretty lame check, from my understanding all they did was kind of randomly ask to make sure everyone had a permit.

15. Sidecutter

News Credits:
    This is another reason yes. We can just deal in bills (and maybe quarters on a rare few items). As far as people leaving, I guess it wasn't many, since we had a gangbusters year.

Another reason to simplify this year will be traffic and less people to help me. Especially since I'll be offering product created by a very well known Canadian friend of mine in part of my booth space. He shall remain unnamed for various reasons. :wink: 

And as others said, yes, if you read the brochure you will find that we have to remit payment before vacating the dealer room this year. Just the weirdness of RI officials.

16. Prowl2000

Prowl2000 Keep it sealed

Ebay:
    oh man, there is so much that I want to see and buy that weekend.

17. gen1fan

News Credits:

the large ones will take card, The smaller ones like myself will asked that you used it using paypal.

18. gen1fan

News Credits:

I just remember 1 guy on Saturday shortly after they open to grenal public. All I remember was it was going to buy around 600.00 dollars and did not see why he had to wait in line to pay. I remember it cause I had a guy looking at some ting at the end of my table an over him say the hell with this I take my money somewhere esle.

19. gen1fan

News Credits:
    ok, you guy at correct, Must of been another dealer form for another show that stated you had 30 days from the end of the show to pay the sale tax.

20. TreKain

TreKain All Will Be Well TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Last year we (attendees) paid KY sales tax for registration for the show...we didnt this year.