BotCon 2016 Will be the last under current format

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Matty, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Sumner Sturgeon

Sumner Sturgeon It's not easy being the best~

I gotta say, I've had thoughts like that too in recent months. I'm wondering if this is happening perhaps because Hasbro wants to take the BotCon name and the show itself entirely in-house-- this way, it has full control over quality, access to much greater resources, and the potential to create a much bigger con that reaches a larger audience. I just hope that the "fannishness" of BotCon doesn't go away as a result, like all the nerdy references and extremely obscure homages and such.

2. Optronix1087

Optronix1087 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like the news. Aside from the common complaints about FunPub, many of which I was vocal about, my biggest issue was the over saturation of exclusives. It took the fun of that part out of the show for me, and made it into a chore. I'm still working to get exclusives from previous years. Not to mention how the cost ends up cutting into my cash flow for the dealer room. There is something special about finding vintage stuff in hand and purchasing it at a show.

I'd love for there to be no con next year so that Hasbro can do a better job of vetting a quality company. Plus it would give me time to focus on other areas of the franchise and catch up on old exclusives.

3. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

Damn, I was hoping to one day go to a BotCon. Oh well, there's always the probable replacement Hasbro got the name to awhile back. That is, assuming it's as good. While I've heard a lot of bad stuff about FP, BotCon itself always sounded great.

4. convoy84

convoy84 misses you like the deserts miss the rain.

News Credits:
    Under Fun Pub's ownership? Yes.

Is that to say there won't ever be another official Transformers con after this? Not for an instant. From a "we need to appeal to the collectors" perspective, Hasbro has two MOs: keep the current fans happy, as that keeps them coming back, and to reach out to the 80's kids who don't know that Transformers didn't stop after 1987 and are like, "Oh, Transformers is still a thing? *scoff* I thought they stopped making those years ago!". Having the con rights under their roof now makes it easier to do both, as they can pool fan reactions to see what works in terms of exclusives and make them better in terms of quality, even if that means having less figures to choose from, and they can possibly get a bigger convention group like FanExpo Canada or ReedPOP to actually make the con itself (not toys, fiction, etc., just the venue, guests, panels, and so on) happen as a means of attracting more guests, and in theory, more new fans, and in turn, more customers for Hasbro. Such is the way of the corporate Circle of Life.

5. Sumner Sturgeon

Sumner Sturgeon It's not easy being the best~

Whereas I'm hoping there IS a new one by next year, simply because I know I can get a better job soon and I ended up missing this one by only a small margin.

6. Optronix1087

Optronix1087 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thats totally fine. I'm just saying I'd like that, for myself. If it happens i'm not going to complain.

7. stad

stad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's exactly what I'm saying. People are overly optimistic if they think they pulled BotCon just to have someone else do it.
    Not sure where they'll be handing it out (probably at their booth) but there was a box of them in the hall towards the Club store on Wednesday night. I have the letter too, and was actually coming on here to see if anyone had posted it.

8. neospark1

neospark1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'll miss Botcon.

Sure it had its up and downs but looking back you remember all of the toys, the dealer room, Hasbro presentation, and most of all your friends. And it's happening when FunPub tumblr finally seems to getting things done right.

Very sad day indeed.

9. Eman7673

Eman7673 Beastly

I was lucky enough to get to one (2001 in North Carolina)

I hope they bring it back in some format.. who knows

10. DJW107PRIME

DJW107PRIME Autobot Hero

Ebay:
    Fair thee well funpub may we meet again as friends.

11. Omega Supreme-1

Omega Supreme-1 Autobot Sentinel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  12. The_Black_Sheep

The_Black_Sheep Willyna...

News Credits:
    Now FunPub can devote their full time & attention to the convention they'd much rather be doing - their Joe Convention...

Good riddance! It can't happen soon enough...

13. Monari

Monari Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The first and only Botcon I ever attended was in 2007 in Rhode Island. Got to see an early screening of Transformers the Movie, meet Peter Cullen and take a tour of Hasbro's offices. It doesn't seem as though they've ever gotten close to that level of awesomeness again.

14. DPrime

DPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Won't be doing that, either.

I'm of two minds. The cons were damn fun - well, the Joe ones were, anyway. Never been to Botcon, but from what I've heard it's the same sort of thing. And I think a large part of the fun stems from their small/intimate nature - same group of fans every year, meeting new friends and seeing them in subsequent years, etc. That's probably going to be lost, if Hasbro tries to go for a bigger event.

Their increased focus on the exclusives as "the reason" for going, and adding things like the Golden Ticket, terrible online registration issues, somewhat shoddy QC (at least on the Joe products), and - I hate to say it - Brian's ego... Yeah, I won't miss those at all.

But goddamn it, in the end they put on a great show.

15. Collectibot

Collectibot SWITCHed.

News Credits:
    Well, I may get Reflector and TM3 Megatron as souveneirs.

16. Collectibot

Collectibot SWITCHed.

News Credits:
    :(  Well, hopefully we'll still get convention exclusives and the other goodies still. Ebay seems to have lots of the convention toys already, and the people already have them in hand.

17. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Every single one? That's some mighty bad luck.

I'm pretty sure it'll just rise from the ashes as something slightly different. Auto Assembly had it's final hurrah last year but TFNation took its place and promises to be better. Sometimes things just have to change.

18. stad

stad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Such utter nonsense. The JoeCon has taken a backseat to BotCon for years, once it was obvious it would be the bigger con. Even timing took a backseat. They were supposed to alternate spring and summer slots, but it's been years since JoeCon has been in the summer - this year is the first since 2012, and only the second time since 2009. It'll also be the last one, and unlike the very slight chance BotCon will continue in some form, JoeCon is far less likely.

19. Hooper_X

Hooper_X pro wrestling, anti fascism

Honestly, I can't say I'll miss FP. About the most measured statement I can make is "They delivered some delicious plastic crack, but...."

It is, however, profoundly weird to be in a situation where there may not be an official TF convention next year, or possibly ever again.

22 years is a pretty good run, though.

20. Hooper_X

Hooper_X pro wrestling, anti fascism

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's pretty strongly implied that FunPub lost the TF *and* the Joe franchise rights, isn't it? Joe Club memberships are ending this year, same as the TF Club.