Botcon 2016 Ravage

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Scaleface, Oct 3, 2015.

1. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    Spiffy, duly noted. At any rate it's nice to know that exclusive Botcon stuff won't be held up by mold use.

2. scrapmetaru

scrapmetaru Well-Known Member

Well, those are oldrid and the Unicron trilogy, neither of which are very popular. The most you should expect for them are the generations bones they've been thrown already.

3. Anti-Venom

Anti-Venom Well-Known Member

Would buy at a retail price

4. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm not so sure three of them will be the tripredacus council... If it's a BW 20th anniversary set, I doubt they'd do bit part characters. We shall see... I'm in either way.

Hey I just realized that Botcon news actually made it to the main news forum instead of being buried in the convention section.

5. PoweredConvoy

PoweredConvoy Randy

News Credits:
    Yes, because the whole idea is he's supposed to take someone else's, just like Galvatronus / Cyclonus.

One wouldn't expect BotCon to make limbs for Grand Scourge, another store in another country's exclusive would we? And they won't make their own Grand Scourge because the Japanese one exists.

It depends on if the figure is in production or not. The Generations figure must not have been in production at the time. Though they stated at BotCon 2010 that they wanted to do G2 Ramjet but couldn't because Generations Thrust was in production at the time.

Also, as was mentioned Hasbro wants them to do things that go along with the current line up, so they've allowed them to use newer molds. That's why the TFSS and BotCon 2016 are loaded with CW molds, and even one not out yet (but will be out by then) with Onslaught. The old guard wouldn't have allowed this, other than at BotCon 2007, which was another special case because Hasbro asked Fun Pub to finish off the Classic Seekers.

None of those were shared exclusives except for the SG VS set really, and even then the two teams worked on it together but it was still eHOBBY's exclusive. Seems the teams working together kind of petered out once Andrew Hall left eHOBBY. Granted Fun Pub is still getting some eHOBBY exclusives for their store, they don't seem to be working on them together beyond that one set.

Exactly.

Yup, this is similar to what they stated at BotCon, working closer together with Hasbro to promote more synergy has allowed them to use more recent toolings quicker.

Randy

6. avc-prime

avc-prime Well-Known Member

I like the head sculpt

7. DoubleClouder

DoubleClouder Prototype / Testshot collector

News Credits:

:) 
    Tigertron - Transformers Wiki

8. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

This... is amazingly disappointing.

I've been hoping for an Alternators Battle Ravage homage for a really long time. But this... well, underwhelming is an understatement.

Now, aside from the ridiculous oversaturation of these molds, they're just not super... interesting. I suppose that's kind of the appeal of the molds, they're so generic that they can basically be repurposed into whatever.

But part of what made Battle Ravage so fun was that even though it was a new body for Ravage, it still had decent callbacks to the original (in the form of the shoulder missiles vaguely resembling Ravage's missiles). I've been hoping for a Turbo Tracks remold for a long time (or even a Prime Vehicon with missiles in its shoulder plugs) but this? Utterly disappointing.

Also... the headsculpt. It's technically solid! But it just doesn't fit the RIDICULOUSLY blocky body. Battle Ravage had a more mechanical headsculpt and a less blocky body, and it wound up looking really nice because of it.

I am all for this idea in general, but this particular figure is utterly unconvincing.

9. artiepants

artiepants Misses readable TF comics

News Credits:
    Yeah, I always envisioned (since we first got a whiff of CW): hotspot = Fire Convoy, Dead End = Speadbreaker (blue deco to avoid confusion with rodimus), First Aid = X Brawn, Break Down = Mach Alert and Drag Strip = Skid-z.

I'd use the Japanese names where possible to avoid confusion, and cu the club could probably get away with that.

In a perfect world everybody'd get a new head and Mach Alert'd get a light bar.

10. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Team Lovehammer

News Credits:
    It'd be weird to not involve the Council, as they could combine in toyline.

There are plenty of Tripredacus Agents they could adapt, but if it was someone like Flamewar what connection would she have to the Beast Wars.

One possibility is Onyx Primal as one of the Aerialbots. Which would itself by a callback to one of the attendee exclusives from 1996.

But I agree with the guy who said Sky Lynx may be involved. Especially as a repaint into Magmatron's combined beast mode.

It'd only need one new head for combined mode. We've already seen TFCC use Onslaught before it hit retail. And it's the only CW figure with an actual beast mode. On top of that, if they painted the combined modes wings to look like Skysaur, the combined mode would have a Predaking look to it.

Some have said maybe Sky Lynx as Cryotek, but I think we just got one for Predacon Rising.

11. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

Another year I won't be jealous about those exclusives, it seems.

12. Soundwinder

That... would be a pretty fun set. Part of me would want X-Brawn to be Rook so he could still have a massively oversized left hand, but the alt-mode isn't a great fit. Ah well.

If they wanted to do another combiner, then including the Combaticons as Ruination would be an option. Round things out by releasing Blackjack as Crosswise (the head fits alright, and Crosswise has the most interesting colors), and maybe Optimus Prime as Scourge (totally different from Grand Scourge) and we've got a pretty complete lineup.

13. Autoboty

Autoboty Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They could always give him a big hand without using the Rook mold. (READ: See upcoming CW Trailbreaker. He has a forward facing port on one arm but is based on the Offroad mold.)

14. Soundwinder

Then that. Use the Trailbreaker version of the mold. Please.

15. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Action Master Super Mod

News Credits:
    While the Tripredacus Council would be cool, I kinda hope the story is the council creating a combiner with other BW2/BWNeo characters... Ravage, and them some outside the box thinking... Maybe Break or Bazooka from Rook, Dirgegun, Thrust or Hydra from jets, Dead End from Dead End...

Exactly, this can't be repeated enough. Hasbro wants the club to work more in line with what Hasbro is doing, which allows for much quicker usage. I think Pete even said on a podcast that they had an idea for Botcon that Hasbro was lukewarm to, but they love the TFSS 4.0 concept, so FP revised the Botcon set.

Not yet he doesn't...

16. G.B. Blackrock

G.B. Blackrock Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    "Same year" is a bit too broad even for the point that used to be made. Sometimes, we were told that a mold couldn't be used because Hasbro was using it, yes, but we're talking about a much smaller window of time than "same year" even then.

And, as has been pointed out, the "rules" are simply different now.

17. Dinobot Snarl

Dinobot Snarl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The main problem is the soft curves of the head sculpt contrast sharply against the hard angles of the body. The head sculpt should have some hints of the body.

18. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    If I were to guess, I would think it was in the middle of the Prime line when things instantly went from great to speeding down a hill at mach 5 towards rock bottom....

19. artiepants

News Credits:
    Love all this. Even Rook as X-Brawn would be cool for the reasons you stated (or maybe use the Swindle version) and have the attendee sets be Ruination, no retools required.

20. artiepants

News Credits:
    yeah, if it looked more like the Alternators head (harder angles, more 'square-isn'), I don't know that I'd actually like it, but it'd certainly be less off-putting.