Botcon 2016 in Louisville Kentucky

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by Autobot City Comics 2008, Sep 4, 2015.

1. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    It's this kind of whiny passive aggressive shit that makes sure I will never give money to botcon, even if it was in my backyard.

At best I would hang out with people at the bar after hours and go to those room parties that they hate so very much. No packages, no day passes, no money from me.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
  2. Primal Sabbath

Primal Sabbath Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    :lol  but they don't hate the room parties.
    I mean it was pretty clear. I even asked him to clarify it. It's for the dealers that bring 3rd Party in by the case-loads. Not for all room-to-room trading/selling. Pete has said numerous times before he's a fan of the room-to-room sales/trades.

It's when people start selling nothing but 3rd Party and taping signs all over the hotel (which then violates the contract with both the hotel and their contract as an exhibitor) where to find 3rd Party stuff that it becomes a problem.

3. allew

allew Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm curious as to why they switched to the Four Horsemen for sculpting duties? Don't get me wrong I adore the 4H's work (Gothitropolis Ravens and Mythic Legions!), but Boss Fight Studios was doing great stuff for both GIJOE and Transformers clubs, including that sweet Oilmaster Pretender shell for Botcon 2015 and Scorponok headmaster for Botcon 2014.

4. Primal Sabbath

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Yeah dude, I meant to ask but I think the jelly-bean Sea Clamp head and wanting to see the bigger one had my attention lol
    Possibly scheduling conflicts?

5. allew

allew Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Primal Sabbath, no problem - the size of the Seaclamp and Ravage heads are more of an immediate concern for convention goers. Between BFS and the 4H, the sculpting talent from both are excellent.

But if you ever find out though, either through another podcast session with Pete or from asking around at Botcon (and if it's ok to spill the beans) please do let us know!

6. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Room parties where they sell 3rd party is what I meant.

Frankly it doesn't matter what he said in the least, it's what they wrote in the brochure, and how they worded it. That and a long list of other crap from over the years. I'll never attend and give them money.

I can only hope these rumors of someone else taking over are true.

7. PoweredConvoy

PoweredConvoy Randy

News Credits:
    Perhaps Boss Fight was busy with their other work?

I imagine that might be the reason for the change.

Randy

8. Primal Sabbath

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tweet/Facebook him. If not I'll ask at Botcon lol

Because he didn't spend 20min explaining who that excerpt from the brochure was intended for everyone to see for no reason...
    What rumors? Something some disgruntled fan said out of spite on some social media outlet?
    That wouldn't make a whole lot of sense. Work closer with a licensee just to strip the license a year later.
    Do people really think it'd be better without Fun Publications?
    It could be a lot worse.

That's what I was thinking.

9. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    It doesn't matter if he wrote a 500 page novel about it, it doesn't change what the brochure says.

You know, that "Don't bring 3rd party to sell in your room or you'll get kicked out of the hotel" bullshit.

What he says on some youtube video has zero bearing on official published literature, unless said literature cites said video.

10. Bogatan

Bogatan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I dont think its disgruntled fans so much as a couple of different things coming together at just the right time to make people come up with theories.

Hasbro working closer with them doesnt to me prove anything one way or another or even have to mean anything. Hasbro are working more closely with all the licenses right now. That to me is the most likely explanation, but if you want to take it as evidence of something it could be a good thing working together to make a better clob/con/sub or it could be bad, keeping FP on a short leash through the end of the contract.

To answer your last question. Clearly some people do think it would be better, they might be right, they might be wrong. It could be worse, but it could be better.

Personally I've always liked the convention (though through going for the best part of a decade I am now finding it some what repetative and feel like I'm at the end of my time going), but the club has felt like an after thought ever since I joined, especially since the closing of the forum.

FP seem better suited to running a convention and subscription service than a club, but essetially require club membership in order to do participate in them which is frustating.

11. Primal Sabbath

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Some people you just can't please.
    Or some people just want to keep the pot stirred up.

The brochure has been explained. It can't be made anymore clear than how clear it has been said. Attendees won't suffer a thing.

12. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Oh, I could easily be pleased in this case. Simply don't put threats about kicking people out of the hotel in your convention brochure.

It's not difficult.

13. Primal Sabbath

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I get all of the speculation over "Cybertron Con"
    But it's far even from the rumor stage at this point.

If you keep a rabid dog on a short leash, to keep it in check... You don't throw it a bone, or several bones. You give it barely enough to get by until you put it down.

If the convention license is taken from FunPub, "worse" is almost guaranteed to come for those who are complaining right now. If Hasbro steps in to run the convention themselves, then the whip gets cracked, and the leash will get tighter. And it'll be in Pasadena every year :lol 

Although I have to agree with you on the "club" thing, however it seems Seibertron.com is now the home to the TCC's forums... Which kinda sucks. I think they should have their own forums separate from folks that aren't members. But that's just me

14. Primal Sabbath

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Maybe if people didn't disrespect what has now been in effect since 2012 for the last three years they wouldn't have to result to that kind of wording. It has been there for the last three years.
    And it's dealers that are directly threatened by it.
    I'm curious. I'm at work now and I can't access the brochure... Where does it talk about the banishment from the convention post dealer information, or pre dealer information?
    Because if it's after the exhibitor header, then well, I think people need to understand the structuring of a brochure. Just a thought.

15. Autobot City Comics 2008

Autobot City Comics 2008 Drama Geek

News Credits:

It's not like he had any plans in spending $ with them

16. cbff

cbff Destroyer of Botcon (Retired)

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    We've seen the promised land with TFCon. Fan boy fear-mongering isn't going to do anything. A Transformers Convention can be well run without Fun Pub.

As for the 3rd Party threat, it is under the "Exhibitor Information" in the brochure. Warning dealers not to bring 3rd party merchandise to their hotel rooms to sell or else they'll be kicked out of their dealer booth AND hotel rooms.

Personally, I don't know why somebody would support an organization that continues to threaten fan owned businesses such as Agabyss, TFSource, Captured Prey, Renderform, Chosen Prime, Ages 3 and Up though.

In fact, it would not surprise me if some of these dealers just give up on going to Botcon since the measures Fun Pub continue to put in place just don't make it profitable anymore. Just think how empty dealer rooms will be without dealers coming to the convention anymore.

17. Calabask

Calabask Waspinator Cultist

News Credits:
    In reality he didn't really specify what would get him tossed out, because he didn't want to as he didn't want to get in trouble by calling them third party toys. Which is an observation. He says "You know what it is." Which, I'm sorry, doesn't really say anything other than seem to make me think more and more Hasbro is trying to build up a case.

Unfortunately, until they bring a case about, regardless what words they use, they really probably can't and won't eject someone from the hotel. There is a very high chance Fun Pub, and Hasbro would open themselves up to a lawsuit by whomever they do eject from the hotel. Which would be very very bad if it forced Hasbro to take a case earlier to court than they wanted. I imagine Botcon will be interesting though, and I'm keenly interested to see where this goes.

We're in a unique point in our fandom and perhaps even history as there is nothing else like this really going on in other fandoms. So watching this all play out, and seeing what happens, is somewhat exciting. Moves and counter moves.

18. PoweredConvoy

PoweredConvoy Randy

News Credits:
    The issue stems from Hasbro not wanting 3rd party toys sold at the official Transformers collection. Most sellers abided by this but then there are a some that were selling 3rd party toys in hotel rooms. So there had to be a further addendum to the brochure.

If I had to guess, someone using their hotel room to sell goods is probably not part of the agreement a person makes when they stay at a hotel. The hotel is probably within their rights to ask them to leave.

This is all conjecture on my part though. None of this would be an issue if people would have just followed what Hasbro set forth for BotCon. :) 

Randy

19. Primal Sabbath

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    "the promised land?" "TFCon?" Hahahaha!!! Get out of here with that shit. They handle a couple hundred people pretty well, I'll give them that. But if you think for a shred of a second the TFCon organizers aren't worse than FunPub, you're out of your goddamn mind.

Haha and "fan boy fear-mongering?" that's cute

So that further cements my point that this is not AT ALL aimed towards fans attending the convention. It's aimed towards dealers that in one way or another are going to have the rug pulled from underneath them, and by the looks of it; soon.

Maybe, JUST maybe if these fan owned businesses respected their wishes in the first place, it would have never come to this. Agabyss handing out flyers in front of the dealer room doors at this year's Botcon for some shitty little 3rd party con across the street was beyond classless.
    Chosen Prime taping flyers all over the hotel like it was a flea-market was a pathetic joke, too; coupled with displaying 3rd party stuff in the dealer room. Honestly? You're really that much of a shit-headed child to "buck the system" and "for the fans?" What a joke.

That is probably the most idiotic "fan boy fear-mongering" thing I've read in this entire thread.
    Do you think that just because they won't allow 3rd Party in the dealer room that TFSource, CP, BBTS, or even a remote small percentage of the dealers that make it to Botcon would just stop going? You underestimate the power of the almighty dollar. If Chosen Prime or Agabyss refuse to show up, well I wish them the best, but can't say they'll be missed, and if they do something stupid, pitiful, and disrespectful that gets them kicked out of the convention; I sincerely hope the doors don't hit them in the asses on the way out.

20. Primal Sabbath

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    You could advertise this on every social media outlet, hold a 30min seminar about what it means, and have that seminar available to everyone who wants to see it, anywhere, anytime, and at no cost. And some people still won't get it :lol