Botcon 2016 in Louisville Kentucky

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by Autobot City Comics 2008, Sep 4, 2015.

1. Bed Bugs

Bed Bugs Haven't gone postal yet...

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    No drawing to Botcon 2017 is quite interesting. Either means there isn't a Botcon 2017 or they are cutting expenses after getting stuck with exclusives for the last 3 years.

2. General Tekno

General Tekno Lugnut Supremor & Arkivist

News Credits:
    Which would be an odd expense to cut; the free trip is a drop in the bucket cost-wise, I imagine.

3. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Action Master Super Mod

News Credits:
    yeah, you dump the cost of toys into something else, when you setup the hotel you probably get a number of rooms comped for staff (brian, Pete, etc) so you just add one more, and then all you're really paying for is flight.

4. Bed Bugs

Bed Bugs Haven't gone postal yet...

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Exactly. The timing of this change and Cybertron Con getting Trademarked can't be coincidence.

5. Calabask

Calabask Waspinator Cultist

News Credits:
    I wouldn't be surprised if there was a "Surprise Announcement" or "Big Announcement" saying the convention is growing and size and thus, it will need to evolve, and so we now have "Cybertron Con." No idea what that means for Fun Pub. I suspect they will still be involved, but who knows.

It is ominous that the Free Trip isn't mentioned though. It's been in every brochure under their oversight until this year.

6. Calabask

News Credits:
    I could see a good deal of negative PR for that, and if they are really pushing for that, then this might be the start of a legal battle for Hasbro. I once speculated that the bans might be Hasbro trying to establish a case that it is protecting it's IP and has taken steps to, which until they came in, they hadn't done. Note with AOE Stuff there was like Genuine Autobot or something on the boxes. And I think the same holds true to Generations today.

Now, whether the five years prior to that would count as it not protecting it's IP, and whether that would inhibit their case is the real question. That and also if they can establish just who Optimus Prime, Megatron, Etc, all are. That's part of the IP protection, and the various iterations of Optimus Prime either help them, or hinder them. It's a bit fascinating to see this unfold and to see what will come of it.

7. Autobot City Comics 2008

Autobot City Comics 2008 Botcon S_T_A_F_F

News Credits:
    Yeah this is the first I have heard of this

8. Hooper_X

Hooper_X hit dogs holler

Here's the thing - by now we all should be well aware of how lawyers work.

1: 3P stuff does infringe on Hasbro's IP. There's really no way around that. We even tacitly admit it ourselves - look at the sidebar and how virtually all of these toys are identified as a Hasbro IP character in the post headers.

2: Hasbro is legally obligated to protect their IP, whether the Transformers team wants to or not. It's over their head and into the Legal department. Legal can't shut down the Chinese factory pipeline, but they can prevent it from being sold at the official Transformers convention.

3: If IP infringing product is sold at the official Transformers convention, other companies' lawyers could claim that Hasbro is being derelict in maintaining its IP and as such convince a judge that the IP claim is null and void.

4: Bandai releases Optimus Prime Megazord, chaos reigns.

Seriously, this isn't Hasbro just being dicks or trying to drive 3P out of business or fuck with dealers or whatever - it's lawyers being lawyers.

(and anyone who knows the first thing about me knows I'm no FunPub apologist. To hell with FunPub and Pete and Brian. I can't wait until they lose the license and it goes to a more professional outfit - but this has very little to do with FP.)

EDIT TO ADD: I'd bet a modest amount of money (say, $20) that the "Cybertron Con" trademark is nothing more than the new name for BotCon going forward. FP will still be involved, but the "win a free trip to BotCon 2017" isn't in the brochure because there won't BE a BotCon 2017 - but a Cybertron Con 2017. They simply can't say that in the brochure because it hasn't been announced yet.
    The only thing that will change, practically speaking, is the name. "BotCon" is too generic, whereas "Cybertron Con" directly and firmly identifies with the Transformer brand and IP.

9. Calabask

News Credits:
    The problem is, those items aren't registered anywhere as IP Infringing. We can say it's infringing all we want. Just like we know that one person over yonder is selling drugs somewhere. But until that person is caught selling drugs and he goes to court, and a trial is held, he can say the sky is red until a jury finds him guilty.

That's why I speculate they are trying to build a case. As it is right now, Hasbro and Fun Pub can't on legal grounds tell people to not sell Third Party products from their rooms, and possibly on the floor of Botcon, as at the moment they don't have a legal foot to stand on. They can't say the items are counterfeit, because they're not. But if they try to shut it down with an actual trial and whatnot, or however that stuff is settled, they might be able to get it ruled in their favor. Or they may not. It's a very precipitous issue, because as you said, if Hasbro is found derelict in protecting it's IP, then Optimus Prime Megazord's.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
  10. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Listen guys. It makes total sense that a convention celebrating Hasbro product doesn't want you to bring 3rd party stuff (that clearly infringes on their intellectual property, whether they've taken it to court or not). I know people like to get angry over that, but it's the truth, and you can't blame either Hasbro or Funpub for wanting that.

However, reading from the brochure it seems like Funpub actually warns you they might remove you from your hotel room if you bring 3rd party stuff and KO stuff and deal it.
    This is an extremely desperate dick move. I'm sure there's some clause in every hotel contract that prevents you from dealing in counterfeit clothing and cigarretes, etc. and obviously you can't start a business in a hotel room. But actually throw you out because you're trading 3rd party kids toys? Yeah, nice try. Even if they broker some kind of deal with the hotel I'm sure that's against your rights as a guest.

Unless Pete makes an anonymous call to the police somebody's dealing hard drugs in room 236...:confused2 

11. Calabask

News Credits:
    .....With hookers and blackjack?

12. griffin-of-oz

griffin-of-oz Ozformers site-owner

News Credits:
    Has anyone here actually ever claimed the free trip and admission, or know someone who has... or is it like their art contest prizes, in that FunPub offer them as prizes knowing that most won't be claimed or used, but promote how much they could be potentially giving away.

A lot of people don't go in consecutive years, and timing (away from work, school or spouse) is often the issue I see commented here rather than cost... so I wonder if many of those people who have flights and registration covered by FunPub, are actually able to go again the next year (and still have to save up for all the other costs like accommodation and paying for your partner or family if you have one).

13. G.B. Blackrock

G.B. Blackrock Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    Can't say I know any folks personally, but the drawings are held in public, so I (and many others) have seen these things won and claimed by real human beings....

14. Calabask

News Credits:
    Are you sure they aren't lizard people?

15. Qcjoe

Qcjoe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I was at first excited being this would be my first BotCon. Im not so sure with seeing that its all Beast Wars voice actors. I was wanting G1 more then any thing.

16. griffin-of-oz

News Credits:
    I've witnessed most of the drawings as well, but what I am curious about is how many of the 20 prizes (so far) have been used... by people who are able to go to a following year, when we see a lot of people commenting that it is more than just cost that prevents them from going. Flights and basic registration might be a significant chunk to cover, but for most people that's only half of the budget, and affording two in two years can be difficult... especially if you work that is difficult to get away from, or have a family or partner who will need to come along (making the prize drawing a very small percentage of the cost).

It just seems that FunPub could give away guaranteed prizes (like a non-attending set if they can't make it next year), or give people more than 6 hours to use Art Contest Show Dollars IF they were even at the Saturday Awards dinner to collect the voucher (a lot usually aren't).
    It just seems baiting to have prizes offered that they know will never be completely claimed or used.
    How would people feel if they bought scratch-tickets that offered five prizes of $100,000 but it was set up in a way that made sure only 2 or 3 would be claimed. It would seem sneaky and deceptive behavior if they didn't pay out the prizes that were being boasted as an incentive to join/play.

I used to give them the benefit of the doubt on this issue until they started defrauding me and other non-Americans with excessive over-charging of postage (hundreds of dollars), that they won't declare or voluntarily refund without proof from the buyer (which is now impossible because they no longer declare it on the packages... just to prevent people like me from claiming a refund anymore).

I'm still a big fan of the Convention, so will still promote it's benefits... I just don't support or promote the current business behind it because of how it has treated me and other fans.

17. Cascadia

Cascadia Mt. St. Hilary

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Understandable but this is the 20th anniversary of Beast Wars. David Kaye is a cool guy to hang out with. I have hung out with him this past year at the Texas Comic Con and at 2012 Botcon. Also, there is no telling what other voice actors that they are going to bring in.

18. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Former Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Actually, only 11. This wasn't something 3H did, it started with FunPub taking over in 2005.

19. griffin-of-oz

News Credits:
    I recall in 2001, a prize drawing by 3H, for free entry to next year's BotCon... and I think they did it for a few of their years. FunPub were indeed the ones to include domestic flights for American winners.

The "20" comes from two prizes drawn each year by FunPub, and there have only been 10 BotCons that could have had them claimed/used so far (2006-2015).

Looking up last year's program guide, I do want to make a correction to my earlier statements - 3 nights accommodation is included with the domestic airfare and Primus package.
    My other points still stand though, including the rest of your accommodation, and particularly if you are non-American, as you would still need to pay over two thousand dollars (to fly into America and pay for the extra nights accommodation) just to use that prize.

Don't get me wrong, I think it is a great prize if you can use it (worth up to about $1300*), but I was just wondering out of mere curiosity, how many of those 20 prizes drawn, have actually been used (paid out)... and I'm yet to hear of anyone (here or before now) that actually went to a BotCon because they won the prize draw the previous year.

* $1300 is from $450 maximum airfare on offer, plus about $450 for the 3 nights at the BotCon rate, and about $400 for a Primus Pack.

20. Repainted

Repainted Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have won a trip in recent years to a following year's event and they do follow up. Basically they tell you (and any other trip winners) that you're "front of the line" and collect contact info (I.D., phone, email) to contact you at a later time. They ask where you're departing from, if you'd like additional days at the show's hotel (you cover additional days yourself, they cover the amount of days they advertise in the prize) and cover what they say they will. Mine wasn't completely smooth, but the organizers did try and stay on top of things and I incurred really next to no cost other than what I wanted not covered by the overall prize trip.