Botcon 2016 Boxset Cicadacon Revealed - CW Skydive Repaint

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Type-R, Oct 21, 2015.

1. prfctcellrulz

prfctcellrulz Pokémon Trainer/WWE Champion

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    It is true. I still have the original Tripredacus and I can attest to its poseability.

That being said I am really looking forward to this set of figures.

2. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Officially, though, they are the same characters (the BW profiles book is official). Since the official Transformers club is doing it, they could have used the toy colors to keep the gestalt from looking 60-70% red with two black limbs. I guess I just like the multi colored gestalts the best.

3. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    Well in that case, why even bother with combiners at all?

4. marvel b

marvel b Bearer of the Matrix of Smash

News Credits:
    now i'm gonna make him have black pants to become "p-red-a-hulk-cus"

5. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha Well-Known Member

Conceptually speaking, I'd argue that it's better to go for the red color scheme because that version has never had toys. Whereas the toy color scheme, well, uh... by its very nature it HAS had toys; still pretty decent toys, from the looks of them (though I've never handled them myself).

So conceptually, red makes sense.

But speaking objectively, from a pure aesthetic perspective, it doesn't get much more boring than a red Aerialbot without a new head. And it's the weakest Aerialbot mold. I guess they went with this one for the conical head, even though Air Raid is a nicer mold and has more insect-like swiveling wings. I hope there's some details on there that elevate it, and make it more interesting, or at least evoke its beast roots more.

EDIT: Man, thinking more about the wings, I think it would it have been so weird/cool/unique to have Air Raid, with his wings cast in translucent plastic and painted with insect wing pattern details. Sigh.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
  6. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Team Lovehammer

News Credits:
    Because Tripredacus and Magnaboss were some of the first combiners in the "modern" era. So it's pretty cool to pay tribute to that while simultaneously acknowledging what we never got to see on the show.

(I know I'm not the only one who was really really sad when "Tripredacus" was mentioned on screen and then never seen again)

That's a great point on Air Raid, but if they were going for head-tooling they at least hit a pretty good match in Skydive. And his two front/two back wing/fin design invokes the BW figure's look better than had they gone with Fireflight.

What I'm hoping is the wings and fins will be white with insect vein detailing similar to how Ramhorn has those lightning bolts on his treads in alt mold.

7. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Best news here is that Predacus will have a new head. I suppose it will homage the original Tripredacus head, despite the fact these guys really bear zero resemblance to the toy versions of the Tripredacus guys.

8. Starscream 91

Starscream 91 Mech With A Mouth

News Credits:
    Need better pics but right now I might only like Ravage & Cicadacon.

9. Johntimus Prime

Johntimus Prime Where's my perfect Legends-scale Ultra Magnus?

News Credits:
    So Sea Clamp will be the body, not surprising at all. He might either be Motormaster, Silverbolt, or Hot Spot's mold.

10. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I'm guessing Silverbolt. The alternate mode is long and thin, like Sea Clamp's, and the robot mode proportions are similar. Plus the way the chest forms up would allow for something similar to the toy of Tripredacus.

11. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    I don't think Botcon cares about what the original Tripredacus toys look like. Except for the heads and general colors, they're making it up as they go along for these three.

12. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Team Lovehammer

News Credits:
    There is some attention being paid to details. Rook was painted to give the appearance of Tarantulas' spider eyes, Ramhorn was given those lightning bolts as bug legs.

They're trying to combine both worlds. The idea being that the Council wouldn't look like insects before arriving on Earth, but would have common elements between modes.

Similar to what they did 10 years ago for Dawn of Futures Past.

13. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Sadly, yes, I'm not feeling this year's set as it feels like character heads slapped on to different toys (though I hear and acknowledge both the point about the 2006 set, and the paint details - well made points, both). There's nothing particularly wrong with that approach, but after seeing some of what Botcon and the Club has done times past where a new head nailed it (like last year's Breakdown into Megatron, or the Electro from Generations Kup from 2013) this year's set just feels like it has missed a beat (again, as pointed out, the paint details go a ways to balancing things). I see what they were going for - take five characters with a strong story connection and make a Combiner out of them, and do something for the Beast Wars anniversary, both admirable ideas, but something about the execution just fails to excite me. Especially after the excellently realised Mayhem Attack Squad hit all the right notes.

Personal feeling, though.

14. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
  15. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Team Lovehammer

News Credits:
    I thought it was lighting as well, but part of the problem was they were going to show them in their toy forms but at the last second the budget was cut and they were given simpler models.

16. Ragnar

Ragnar Fun with G1

Ebay:
    This set is a big pass for me. Cannot justify the eventual price tag with all of the great MP's coming out. Also, once SkyLynx and Bruticus release, I'm ready to be finished with CW and move on to TR.

17. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Action Master Super Mod

News Credits:
    Yeah, Air Raid is the far superior mold for him, it's a shame they couldn't/didn't use it. It makes far more sense since they both have moveable wings. Oh well.

Yeah, this is all about the characters from the TV show, the toys that came out aren't really being referenced at all. Hopefully they use a cool mold for the center.

I was thinking Cyclonus, as that has a cool shape to it, and might be more available since the G2 Superion set might be using the mold at the same time. Either way, I'm excited. I almost hope one of the other attendee sets is another voyager CW mold so you have an option to swap out a different torso, as I think that'd be a really cool concept for a combiner.

18. wearelegion69

wearelegion69 Banned

News Credits:
    So the fact that they gave Cicadacon an alt mode that can fly when there is no indication of that in the show is purely coincidence?

19. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP #VernoWasRight

News Credits:
    Yeah, but to everyone else they're the same characters.

And I think it's not so much wanting the toy colours as the colours just being boring and uncharacterful. Also, whatever the combined mode is, it is gonna look a bit weird being mostly a unified colourscheme with two very random black and dark blue limbs.

20. G.B. Blackrock

G.B. Blackrock Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    Officially, though, EVERYTHING'S canon. Even the stuff that contradicts.

I feel free saying that, in this universe, they're distinct guys. There's lots of precedent for folks who have the same names as other folks.

Even if I'm the only one who does so.