Botcon 2015 box art revealed

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Big Filipino, May 8, 2015.

1. Autobot City Comics 2008

Autobot City Comics 2008 Drama Geek

News Credits:
    they said at joecon they were going to try and have her and old snake w/BATS (soundwave) at botcon so only time will tell

2. thewiredknight

thewiredknight Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Does anybody want to split on a loose set or just want to sell their Packrat? He's the only one I want from the set to go with my original Packrat from 98.

3. cirrusstratus1

cirrusstratus1 ROGUE AUTOBOT LEADER

Maybe HasTak will release Battletrap as an official figure at some point. He'd be worth hunting down at the retailers.

4. Grimlockimus

Grimlockimus Wot?

News Credits:
    Huh, I like what they did but I was honestly expecting more. Personally I would've gone with the box set characters in a classic police line up.

5. UltraPrimal

UltraPrimal N/A

News Credits:
    See, now that would have been cool! Maybe early posts about them ripping of Guardians of the Galaxy deterred them from going that route. Or maybe they're just saving that for a poster.

6. IaconStargazer

IaconStargazer Maximal

Not the most dynamic box art, but I think it's pretty cool.

7. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    I like it a lot more than what's inside :) 

8. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    could be better could be worse. I too would have preferred a Usual Suspects police line up.

9. Richform4

Richform4 Trans and MLP fan =D

Unique i give it that...

10. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Definitely one of the cooler looking box sets packaging.

11. Jus09

Jus09 Well-Known Member

Interesting. The boxset brings to mind a lot of crime movies, like Likely Suspects and The Heist. Almost as if we're peeking into an alternate universe where James Gunn wrote a Transformers movie like it's Guardians of the Galaxy.

12. G.B. Blackrock

G.B. Blackrock Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    Yeah, I found that interesting. Since those aren't important enough to even HAVE the entire name visible, I'd have thought they could have gotten away with the less-trademark-viable versions on the posters, and just had the "full trademark" version on the side of the box (where the full list is no doubt given).

13. ZapRowsdower

ZapRowsdower Offensively Off-brand

:lolol 

I feel like these kinds of criticisms need to be levied more often. The final product should look like it had a degree of creativity and planning, never mind the arbitrary subjective nature of that statement. But then again, this isn't a lame battle scene, at least, so it could always be worse. But yeah, a little extra something to make it feel inspired wouldn't have hurt...

14. EightiesKid

EightiesKid G1 archivist

News Credits:
    I think it looks pretty cool. the box set usually gets pretty good art. I liked the stunticon set art and last year's art was terrific.

15. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think it sets a mood. Puts me in the mind of crime noir. I wonder if Cheetor will be narrating the story, voice-over style.

16. stad

stad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It could be worse. The JoeCon box set simply had the logo's of the two factions on the box.

Attached Files:

17. lordtigerhawk

lordtigerhawk Well-Known Member

LIKE IT LOVE IT GOING TO GET IT!!! Plus I am just happy to be going to a con that will not break the family vacation budget and it drivable. :D 

18. Bogatan

Bogatan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like it, but I've tended to prefer the more graphic boxsets. Stunticon Job was great and the Elite Guard symbol in 2009 too (i never have the urge to display the inner art). I would have loved the 2012 box if it had used the comics art instead.

The Machine Wars box was a nice idea, I don't think it was executed as well as it could have been, but I would be happy to see it tried again if we ever get a set that bares some resemblence to an existing series/theme. Botcon 97s box design remains my favourite.

It's not that the regular battle scene type art is bad, but its just become repetative.

Basically I really would like each years set to feel different from the one before and after it. Instead we get the same roughly 5 toys, 1-2 big ones and 3-4 smaller maybe some micron/minicon and a couple of new heads/parts. All packaged in a box that often uses the same framing (2007, 2008, 2012 at least) with a battle scene/comic cover type art piece. At this point its all blending together.

My level of interest in how well the boxart represents the story in the comic is pretty much zero, so I dont care if it is a bunch of human items that dont make sense. But the coffee looks more like energon and the pencil appears to be glowing so probably not coffee or a pencil. Transformers use keys so no issue. Why they look so much like human cups, keys and pencil is a good question. Could be artistic license or because its the sort of little things that have been appearing in MTMTE for 4 years. Or it is relevant to the story, maybe Autobot Monkey double pretender is the security officer and picked up some human habits while on Earth.

19. Big Filipino

Big Filipino John 3:16-17 says it all

News Credits:
    Wow that looks pretty boring.

20. Primal Sabbath

Primal Sabbath Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    [​IMG]

Not sure why, but this is what I like most about the box art. I think it all ties together super well. I've been digging the whole "most wanted" thing since they announced, makes me anxious to read the comic. I have a feeling the story will be rather exciting this year. Not to mention this is the first box set since 2011 that I think stands out well on its own, where there would be no need for Souvenirs to make the set feel "complete." It's not a mixed bag like last three years (albeit them being great years for box + souvenir collectors).

Although I'm sure the souvenirs will be great for the whole opposite "faction" thing for display, but man if I were stuck just with the box set, I wouldn't complain one bit... Here's to hoping for The Usual Suspects homage comic cover! (though I agree, I would have loved that being the box set's cover ;) )

I'm hoping the bio cards art for the box set figures resemble these folder files too, instead of the typical action pose art we've been getting. I mean I love the art-work, but if it's like folders with the tech specs and bio off to the side, that'd be perf.

Attached Files: