Botcon 2014 Theme Revealed - Pirates vs Knights

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Mechafire, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Primal Sabbath

Primal Sabbath Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    True, it's G1's 30th birthday... But what would you want out of that? A box set of pre-existing toys in pre-existing character decos at convention toys prices? I don't know about you, but that would make my skin crawl. Paying $375+ for 5 toys that came out in retail 5 or 7 years ago.
    And to be honest G1 isn't THE entirety of the Transformers brand. Not to mention the constant G1 classics updates that have been flowing since 06, I'd say G1 fans have had 13 years of celebration, while UT fans currently have 2 classics figures to be happy about, and BW fans have 3 (including Henkei Dinobot). So honestly, I can't really sympathize with any of this "boo-hoo it's not G1" talk.
    So in reality, I'd say "celebrating 30 years of the Transformers brand" looks a lot better on paper, than "happy birthday G1, to think you almost let the brand die in the 90s."

Also, not to mention Botcon toys have pretty much always been about what original and/or obscure characters they could create/recreate from preexisting molds.

Well it's the Starseeker's faction symbol. Google Thundertron.

2. Shockwave76

Shockwave76 Decepticon

Super lame..... When in Fun Pub going to realize that Botcon is for adults? Seems like they are shooting for an all time low this year. Why couldn't they do something G1 related at least for the big anniversary???

Anything they do next year is bound to be better than this. I don't mean to be such a hater, but I may have liked this crap when I was five.....

3. Shockwave76

Shockwave76 Decepticon

I love how people eat this crap up and call anyone who disagrees "a Troll". What do pirates and knights have to do with Transformers anyway??

4. Primal Sabbath

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Transformers: Classics - Transformers Wiki
    http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Henkei!_Henkei!_Transformers_(toyline)
    http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Transformers:_Universe_(2008_franchise)
    Transformers: Generations - Transformers Wiki
    Henkei! Henkei! Transformers (toyline) - Transformers Wiki
    Transformers United - Transformers Wiki
    Reveal the Shield - Transformers Wiki

Have you even read any of their fiction? I'd say it's just as much for adults/older teens as IDW Transformers comics.

Oh, so you got the email from FunPub that they were using Rescue Bots molds for the convention, too? Oh wait...

How can you say you hate it without even knowing who the characters are, the toys they're made from, or even what the story is about? It's cool to hate the idea, but most of the "haters" are acting like they've seen all the toys, and read the comic.
    Also, Knights, and Pirates

5. Shockwave76

Shockwave76 Decepticon

Thanks for taking the time to explain your thoughts, I do really appreciate it! I guess I was really hoping for something G1, Diaclone, or at lease Beast Wars related since it is supposed to be the big anniversary year. It seems that Fun pub is forgetting all of us fans that were there for the very beginning, they should be doing something related to the start of Transformers this year.

6. Primal Sabbath

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    No problem. And trust me no one wants another BW theme set as badly as I do, but I'm more than ecstatic about the teaser we've been given. And who's to say there won't be at least one Diaclone homage in this set. Between the Knights Of Cybertron & the Starseekers, none of them have any pre-existing artwork or image. That basically created a blank canvas to make characters work in ways they normally can't. And we could very likely see a BW mold or homage as well. At least hold out some faith, even if it's just a little that they might do things awesome this year. And be thankful the opposing faction wasn't damn ninjas, zombies, or dragons :lol 

7. PoweredConvoy

PoweredConvoy Randy

News Credits:
    I'm thinking Pirates and Knights is more of a loose term then strictly what each character will be.

I mean it's not like every figure in the set looks like a knight or a pirate, it just doesn't seem likely.

Thinking about Cannonball's old pirate crew or Thundertron's, none of them even looked like pirates short of Thundertron. I wouldn't be surprised if that were true here too.

And the Knights in IDW's comics are just regular Transformers with swords, so I'm thinking it might be something similar.

Randy

8. Shockwave76

Shockwave76 Decepticon

Thanks guys for your thoughts. Maybe it isn't as bad as I initially thought..... Ninjas, zombies, or dragons would have been much worse! Next years theme will be "The Walking Dead Transformers". ;) 

9. EightiesKid

EightiesKid G1 archivist

News Credits:
    Hmm, so far I'm not really feeling this theme. Bummer. I am one of the fans that was hoping for an homage, and a celebration of G1, since this is the 30th anniversary of the brand, which started with G1.

I was hoping for something G1 related, maybe even some diaclone colored G1 figures in the classics mold, stuff like that. Two of the last three Botcon sets have paid tribute to a specific line within TF: we have had a Transformers Animated set, and a Machine Wars set, these are sets that pay homage to different times in the brand. I thought this was a great opportunity to pay homage to the very beginning of the brand. It seems to me that Botcon is a good vehicle with which to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the brand. It sounds as if the current theme does not really pay tribute to G1 or the history of the brand.

With that said, I know we haven't seen the final box set so I'll wait for more info before jumping to any final conclusions.

10. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    To those that were hoping it was G1: first off... How is that a theme? Also, what do you expect if it's G1? Many people mean whatever ended up on the cartoon... If that's the case, what could they do that Hasbro hasn't already done or will inevitably do?

How do we know this ISN'T G1 related? We could get some more Action Masters or G2 guys mixed with some new character Diaclone guys as well as some later generation characters added into G1 like Lugnut was (G1 Demolisher, Bulkhead, or Knockout, anyone?).

Maybe this is the final piece of the puzzle that takes place between Machine Wars and Beast Wars. Or maybe... MAYBE this is post-Beast Machines...

We just don't have enough information, yet.

11. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Action Master Super Mod

News Credits:
    I doubt these will be the IDW characters, though it's entirely probable that they could be good stand ins. Guess we'll see what happens in the coming months. I just wanna see some toy pics now.

oh really? I'd love for them to bring back that Astrotrain and his minicons for this story.

12. influence82

influence82 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Random trivia: Sir Francis Drake was both a pirate and a knight.
    Anyways.the theme does not have a clear universe. It brings more characters but a less comprehensive story. If they are going to have Cannonball, at least mold a second hand. They should have done it with Wings of Honor Kup. Let's wait until we see the mockups before judging whether its good or not...

13. Primal Sabbath

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I have to agree, the only reason Machine Wars and Animated got the green light is because they weren't G1. Look at the 2007 box set; I'd say those toys were pretty G1-themed. Thundercracker, Thrust, & Dirge. All 3 got a slot in the Generations line. I would be pissed off had I bought that box set. A straight up G1 or even all Diaclone set wouldn't do well in all honesty, and there's not much for story-telling between the two either. And honestly, I don't consider Diaclone any part of Transformers; because, y'know, they're not. The way they place Diaclone homages within a given set are usually pretty well-thought IMO (SG Tracks).

I say keep the obscurity flowing!

Also, this is supposed to be the final story of the Wings universe if I recall correctly... Unless that's the club's bi-monthly comic they were talking about; but I'm almost sure it was Botcon they were referring to.

14. SureShotSniper

SureShotSniper What?!

News Credits:
    Sounds interesting... though it might have been better to be knights vs dragons... OR pirates vs sea monsters... but whatever...

15. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde シン・ブリュンヒルド

News Credits:
    Cool!

I like that the Star Seekers are making a comeback. :D 

Both of those faction symbols look neat.

16. MovieGodOptimus

MovieGodOptimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just realized that the theme is a Deadliest Warrior episode where they made a Pirate fight a Knight!

17. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hey I just realized something.

This is probably their excuse to make Silverbolt out of Grimwing.

18. marvoflg

marvoflg Super Powered Warrior

News Credits:
    I wonder if they will have access to mold as they are still in retail stories to some degree. They seem to be getting access to Takara mold so that might be able to get of the TransFormer Go items.

MM

19. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd much rather have Silverbolt from BH Dreadwing. He'd also fit in with Rampage and Depthcharge...

20. Primal Sabbath

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I just want BW Silverbolt in a pre-BW body. While getting him from Grimwing would be cool. I've gotta agree that getting him from BH Dreadwing would be better due to the jet alt-mode and not a dragon alt-mode.