Botcon 2014 questions

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by gbm, Nov 20, 2013.

1. gen1fan

gen1fan G1 PRIME FROM VA TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    well when you don't have your lower left leg, and you getting treated like criminal when you go though the check point. I Prefer to drive. here is hopping that A the box set does not blow and B it's a east coast show for 2015

2. A.Prime

A.Prime Well-Known Member

You think they might also show the movie in full since it comes out 27th June

also I wonder if Mark Walberg will come?

3. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    No.

No.

4. A.Prime

LMAO thats's cold:lol 

5. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    :lol  yeah you're probably right.

Here's my less asshole response:

They haven't shown the full movie since 2007. Back then it was a lot smaller, so it had more specialty to it. Now, not so much. Bigger convention with more red-lines to get through.

Marky Mark feels like too big of a star to show up at BotCon IMO. We may get him showing up for a HOF type setting (i.e. Michael Bay style), but I highly doubt he'd be a guest of the show. Methinks BotCon couldn't afford him.

6. A.Prime

EDIT

I ain't going now

7. Judgment Day

Judgment Day Energon Extractor No.533

What ever happened to the originators of Botcon? I heard they weren't as active after Botcon 2004. They were VERY organized from what I remember (Botcon 2002 and 2004 attendee).

BTW, I was at Botcon 2007 - we were very fortunate to see that movie when we did. If I recall, that was also the day/weekend the iPhone came out. Man, that was awhile ago.

8. megus

megus Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    My first convention

hello everybody this is going to be my first botcon ( my first convention really )
    and I'm trying to figure out how much money will I need to get everything.

the primus package, the addons, and just about anything else I would need?

Now I would be traveling from Vegas to Pasadena so what would be more cost efficient; car or plane?

9. Autobot City Comics 2008

Autobot City Comics 2008 Drama Geek

News Credits:
    Save your money and go to TFCon in oct this years Botcon will deteriorate from ever going to another one again

10. dirtweed

dirtweed Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've gone to Botcon in 2011 and 2013 and I live in Phoenix which is pretty close to you so we are in kind of the same boat. I rented a car when traveling to the California Botcon's. I could just use my own car but if you check out Priceline.com you can rent a car with unlimited mileage for only $20 a day. For 4 days rental is about $80 plus insurance is $40 plus gas. I spent about $90 on gas last time but I drove up to L.A. from San Diego to go to Universal Studios so I spent a little more on gas. So all in all you are looking at about $200 for a rental car and gas. If you figure what a plane ticket would cost plus taxi money I think the rental car will be cheaper. If you can get someone to split the cost with you then you are really saving money.

If you really want the box set then I would say go ahead and sign up for the TFCC membership because you will be able to get the Primas package for cheaper. You are still going to pay about $350 for the Primas package However, I have been to 5 Botcon's now and I've only pre-registered once. Ever other time I've gone general admission which only cost $20 per day. You still get into all the panels and the dealer room for Sat. and/or Sun. the only thing you really miss is Friday panels and the box set. You still will be able to pick up any of the 3 souvenir sets which usually cost about $30 a figure.

I know most people will stay in the convention hotel but it will cost you. Maybe around $150 a night. Again, if you check out Priceline you can find pretty good rates for hotels around the convention area for maybe $60-$70 a night.

I only take about $300-$400 to spend in the dealer room I know some take a lot more and some take a lot less.

You may want to think about going to Universal Studios either before or after Botcon since it's only about 30 minutes from the convention. Universal Studios cost $80 for a one day pass and $15 for a parking pass.

So to answer your question, it really depends on you. What do you want to do and how much do you want to spent. I can pull a Botcon trip off for about $700-$800 but I'm sure others will tell you that they will spend about $1300-$1400.

11. Nazan Yar

Nazan Yar Member

Botcon 2014 /first timer help

Soooooo, I'm strongly considering making this my first Botcon after nearly 40 years. If I go, I will be taking my wife, who absolutely has no interest in my appreciation for my childhood addictions. So, couple questions:

1) is it worth it to register her?
    2) is it worth it to buy her the convention set(s) in hopes of selling them after market?
    3) if I am only able to swing one or two days, is it better to hit the earlier day(s) or later day(s)? Can you buy all the exclusives if you only show up early or late?
    4) any other first-timer thoughts would be appreciated. I listened way back to the twin cast that covered the topic. I probably need to hit it again.
    Thanks!

12. madhatprime

madhatprime Call me: Ghostprime

News Credits:
    My thoughts:

1) There is a package deal that comes with the Primus Package to add another person. (Without a second box set)
    2) You can never bet on the ability to sell the set. I was able to sell mine for what i paid for it AT the show. (I owed my friend the cash) :( 
    3) The Primus package comes with an extra day of the show, and usually a dinner. This makes it worth it.
    4) Bring cash, and have fun. I don't think your Wife would enjoy the show as much as you though, Im going this year and it was decided my girlfriend will not be going, just because she has no interest in Transformers. I wouldn't put her through hours, and hours of panels, lines, and talking about the characters/toys.

There are fun things to do not related to Transformers, but hell... it's a weekend of nothin but for me.

13. mykticon

mykticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I agree with a lot of what he said^^^
    1.) I have always set up something with a board member each year to basically pay for my wife's set and get her into everything for Free. My wife doesn't mind the hanging out in lines though. So that is definitely something to think about
    2.) Sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't. I've never had a problem selling/trading a set, but it's best to strike fast (like the night you get the set).
    3.) It's really up to you because you will either get those great finds on the dealer floor on the first day or if you are there on Sunday, you get the discount deals.
    4.) The good thing about Pasadena is a lot of stores and a mall is right across the street. They also have a shuttle at the hotel and there are some things to do outside of the Con...

14. megus

megus Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Unfortunately, by then I'll be back in school, so Botcon is really my only chance

Thank you very much; from my own research I was figuring I would have to spend around $1500, so you really helped save me some money.

15. Topspin

Topspin Twin Twist Sucks

News Credits:
    You could always go to the TFcon in Toronto in July, maybe they will get Peter Cullen.

16. Slimaximus

Slimaximus Headmaster

News Credits:
    Who wants to room share. Preferably someone that is green friendly

17. megus

megus Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    For now I have sight's set on Botcon, but I may consider TFcon next year

by green friendly what do you mean?

18. Slimaximus

Slimaximus Headmaster

News Credits:
    If you have to ask you probably aren't lol. But green = tree = cannabis

19. megus

megus Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Ah, I see; Yeah, Never touched the stuff, never plan to touch the stuff, I'm straight edge, but I don't care if people use it.

20. Autobot City Comics 2008

Autobot City Comics 2008 Drama Geek

News Credits:
    I am fart friendly