Botcon 2014 is in Pasadena California ....again

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Autobot City Comics 2008, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The special Botcon rate for the hotel at Sheraton was $139.00 a night. I suggest waiting until FunPub officially announces the details, as they will most likely get more rooms opened up at the special rate, or a discount rate at another hotel near by, like they did in 2011.

Even at the discounted rate, you can find someone to share a room and bring the price down by half. There are always people looking to split a room. You'll probably be able to find someone, once everything is announced, and more people are confirmed to go.

2. Primal Sabbath

Primal Sabbath Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    That's probably what I'll do. Hell, $140 a night is WAY more do-able than $230. The whole reason I'm even waiting is because of that official statement, so I don't have to pay cancellation fees just in case.. Although I'd be happier if it was out of Cali altogether. Would really like to visit the east coast one of these days... But it is what it is I guess.

3. Cascadia

Cascadia Mt. St. Hilary

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    A good reason why it is in California this coming year is due to a movie premiere and easier access to the movie vehicles. History tends to repeat itself...every time other 2007, when it is a movie premiere year, it is in Pasadena.

4. Swoop Dogg

Swoop Dogg Hi Yukio!

News Credits:
    "Every time other than 2007" - haha, you mean the ONE time other than 2007.

5. Deadsled

Deadsled Energon Recovery

News Credits:
    sure would be nice to have it in Michigan some timeā€¦.

6. Primal Sabbath

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Before I get started, sorry about the long post. It's not a rant by any means. It's just how I'm looking at it from my own personal experience in the business-land.

I understand why, but after following a Botcon that was in California, it's ridiculous. They knew they wanted a convention in Cali for the movie year, then 2013 should have been held elsewhere. And to be quite honest, I could care less what's "easier" on them; I'm the consumer (as well as many others). And if they used that, it would be a poor excuse.

A perfect example is my personal line of work. Auto parts. We cover a pretty broad area locally (and out of town). We have a walk-in store along with the delivery side. That would be like me telling a customer over the phone that since they're 30-45min away it's better for me to deliver their stuff at certain parts of the day instead of when the next driver is available, because it's easier on me to not tie a driver up for an hour and a half. Eventually they'll stop doing business with me and I'll lose my job, because they don't care what's easiest on me, they just want their stuff.

See what I'm getting at? I also understand the walk-in aspect at Botcon and that's how they make their "real" money. Again, why should I (and many others), a yearly paying subscription member, who spends a lot of money on their product, on a yearly basis care about what kind of business they do from walk-in customers? Knowing good and damn well they made some pretty legit money off of pre-registrants AND their yearly subscribers, along with whatever retail figures they sell from their website.

I'll use my personal line of work again, as an example. Our actual walk-in part of the store is what makes us our real money. Although we don't get as many sales as the commercial delivery side of our sales. We make about 70% profit on walk-ins, and 30% profit on deliveries. What would one of my half-a-million dollars a year customers do if I just outright stopped catering to them because I only make 30% from them, instead of the 70% I make from walk-ins? They will close their account and do business elsewhere.

Now do I think FunPub will ever suffer this fate? Sadly, no. Their only real competitor is TFCon, in my opinion, and I personally, don't see too many people (from the US) jumping ship for a convention in another country, no matter how awesome & fan-oriented it is. And not nearly enough people, no matter what anyone says, are going to stop out-right buying FunPubs figures due to the eventual secondary mark-up.

Don't get me wrong, I think FunPub's done a lot of things right, even though they've had their fair-share of hiccups. But I'm just trying to let everyone see the angles in which I'm looking at the situation.

7. Hollywood Hoist

Hollywood Hoist Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I can understand why it's in Pasadena again. If they move it to a different area, there is an element of the unknown, they don't know how many will travel to a different location due to no interest in being there for a vacation, they have no idea what the turn out for walk ins would be, and they don't know how many dealers would travel to a new location.

If people have traveled to Pasadena for one Botcon, then chances are, they'll do it again.

8. Primal Sabbath

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    They (dealers and attendees) will travel, regardless of location. They could hold it in Biloxi, Mississippi and more than enough people would still show (hell, the East-coasters might have a chance to affordably attend for once), and the hotel block would sell out like it always does. Walk-in sales might not be so great compared to Cali, but refer to my previous post about that...

9. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Actually, there were two times. 09 and 11.

10. G.B. Blackrock

G.B. Blackrock Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    Exactly. There have been THREE movies before this one, after all....

11. Swoop Dogg

Swoop Dogg Hi Yukio!

News Credits:
    Yup. It's confirmed - I'm an idiot. I can't count. :dunce 

12. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

Bull shit.

Even if they we're to put it outside of California, It might was well be is friggin Alaska for most of us.

At least put it in the center of the Country. Like Texas or something.

13. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    Why can't it be in pittsburgh? We had the freaking g20 where a lot of world politicians meet but we can't manage to have a toy convention.

14. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Retired Admln Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Handle):
    Pinterest:
    So should we start a pool? Which happens first? They Finally Find Jimmy Hoffa or Fun Pub Finally admits that Botcon is in Pasadena June 18-22?

15. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I second this. I have in-laws in the Pittsburgh area and it's close enough to drive. I'd love to see Botcon there. Or maybe even Atlanta.

16. tonyformer

tonyformer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think Bot Con should be in whatever city holds the Super Bowl that year lol. Talk about a town being able to really bring in the money that year.

17. G.B. Blackrock

G.B. Blackrock Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    BotCon read your suggestion and liked it. Problem is, they read "Rose" instead of "Super."

18. tonyformer

tonyformer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Lmao! I guess so.

19. sh002

sh002 Banned

Can't wait to go, buy some stuff, and get some autographs

20. Astrocon

Astrocon A spyware on Teletran-1

News Credits:
    Gosh, i'm sick of waiting this confirmation.
    My honeymoon will take place at botcon.. i need the dates asap for plane tickets and stuff like that :S