Botcon 2012 Ultra Magnus Revealed!

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by optimusfan, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Briefly the owner of KB Toys

News Credits:
    I get almost a Ghost Rider vibe from the clear face...like a flaming head with a helmet on...which really makes me wish it was in darker, more evil looking colors than the red & blue....could have been the most badass exclusive EVER...

2. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    God I hope they justify that face in the fiction somehow. The close up did nothing to my original opinion. It is fugly.

3. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    Needs to be a car carrier, then. :) 

4. Big Filipino

Big Filipino John 3:16-17 says it all

News Credits:
    I actually think this looks pretty cool. I can't wait to read the fiction behind this. Sort of reminds me of Ghost Rider.

5. Optimus Prime

Optimus Prime TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    That freaky head has me intrigued. Some kind of ghost/skeleton with a helmet...it'll be interesting to see what the explanation for that is in the comic. I'm more interested in Magnus now than I was at first.

6. Sharktibolt

Sharktibolt Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Okay, that face is just freaky enough for me to love this guy. Only Soundwave now is what I don't like from this set. :D 

7. TheTFReview

TheTFReview XboxLIVE: kpeek

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    He looks doofy with his big ol' eyes.

8. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    That is one crazy face.

9. *Deathblade

*Deathblade Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would fall in pro scourge deco category. I have never fell in line with the "we cant do this super great idea because it would "piss off" the fandom"...thats bunk, so a few virtual people get their virtual panties in a bunch and complain...meh. The people that complain the loudest werent really who they would be targeting anyways...if your goal is to get somebody to shell out $400+ for iacon or up to $2000 to attend in person, you should not be holding ANYTHING back.

Lets say thay did scourge deco UM, eventually tak would do their similarly colored scourge or nemesis prime or nucleon quest prime. Hasbro would do the same...eventually everybody would win, or have the chance to. The exception so far of "needed" characters has only been SG rodimus, but wildrider was around and affordable for a good minute too.

This diaclone coloring is bleh on the best day. Agree that maybe should have been galvatron colored, but then that clashes with both SG prime and SG galvatron. In theory SG prime should be grey/black/red, SG meg red/blue/silver, SG magnus purple/grey SG galvatron red/white/blue...but whatever....

10. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Former Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    God, with the closeup, I love that face! That is so horrific and twisted looking, I can see Magnus being awesome by way of the explanation for it.

I didn't hear it anywhere, but perhaps my phrasing was a bit unclear. To rephrase a bit, based on the appearance of the design, and how it shares almost all the cardinal features of an "Optimus Prime" head, but in a deformed, warped fashion, I suspect it was intended by Hasbro to be a 'Twisted Prime" design. Since it doesn't seem to fit anything else, and people have been racking their brains since we saw the first instruction scans with it, I feel pretty confident in that assessment.

I still don't think this means anything more is coming, I'm positive, unless something further is said by FunPub, that they were simply referring to the fact that Magnus has a previously unused, but not FunPub designed, head. The actual wording of the tweet was "Did we mention yet that Metalhawk has a new head? And that Ultra Magnus has a surprise in store for you all as well?" We got this BEFORE we actually knew there would be previously unused not-BotCon-designed heads in the toys this year.

11. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

See, Scourge/Nemesis Prime is a figure I think shouldn't be made exclusive because it is the only chance that Hasbro will release a redeco of Optimus Prime at retail.

It's been 4 years since they've released one that wasn't redecoed as "red and blue Optimus Prime." And that was a Bumper Battler. They're deathly afraid of releasing a Prime as anything but a Prime. By releasing a Nemesis Prime they can keep the connection to Optimus, and even have the appeal of an evil Optimus that the kids would like. Squandering that on a con exclusive seems like a waste.

We're not getting a white Optimus repaint released at repaint, let alone a Diaclone one. But we might get a Nemesis Prime, so... let's not waste that.

12. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    Dear Hasbro,

Toxitron. NOW.

-xoxo

(As an aside, I can see the face being played out as a "skull", SG Magnus has some sort of Bludgeon thing going on?)

13. *Deathblade

*Deathblade Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    we havent gotten a scourge colored prime since KB, that was like what, 2004 or so? Even then it was store exclusive. Just splitting hairs here, I just dont agree. Even if hasbro did a scourge/NP 2 years from now, I think it would still sell regardless of funpub. When's the last time you saw a thundercracker, thrust or dirge on the shelves? While you may have seen TC(abundant wave) or an errant dirge, that would be about it.

14. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Takara Fanboy Collector

News Credits:
    crystal skull head?! that's......different.

15. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hey, I kind of like that face..it looks pretty good close up, maybe SG Magnus is giving me a Ghost Star Scream vibe!
    Cool.

16. Bendimus Prime

Bendimus Prime Rolls for initiative

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    That's the first thing I thought of. Sword, skull face, and the clear plastic makes me think maybe he'll be a Dreamwave-y Bludgeon with a mystic arts/ghost thing going on.

17. clankizle

clankizle Well-Known Member

Crystal skull head? I like it but I honestly don't know why. Nothing jumps out at me screaming this is a great figure, but part of me is like "you know you want this on your shelf, don't pass it up or you will regret it later....."

18. stad

stad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes, I hope it is a helmet, and darker, more "evil' looking colors would have made this awesome!

19. Big Filipino

Big Filipino John 3:16-17 says it all

News Credits:
    I think it's an interesting contrast to the G1 UM who was a loyal, tall, commanding warrior and now reformat him in the SG Universe as a shorter, zombie/monster-esque war criminal.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  20. Jake

Jake Inkerguy

Being the inker of the comic this year, you might say that it's a story about how Magnus was bullied and wants revenge on Soundwave for saying that faceplates are for pussies and stealing said faceplate