BotCon 2012 Octopunch Leaked?!

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by gen1fan, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Action Master Super Mod

News Credits:
    yeah, i still like it too, and a new sticker will make it work well, new head or not...

hahaha... love it.

yes!

you know, if they do make a new head that's based on the monster head, then have an extra accessory as a helmet, i'd be sold...

so were SG Jazz and SG Galvatron, but they're still SG...

2. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha Well-Known Member

They probably went th SG route because he's fairly different from G1 Octopunch; he really just sort of hints at the character rather than being a straight-up dead-on port. FP probably figured fanboys would bitch and whine (what're the chances of that?) if a supposed Classics Octopunch wasn't closer to the mark. By making him SG it justifies why he's so different, while still giving people some Octopunchy goodness. And for people who really want him as his regular non-SG self, it's as easy as slapping a new label on there.

3. Girl Pants

Girl Pants aka brickonator

News Credits:
    My implication was that they wouldn't be doing mirrored characters. I just meant that they could give us characters like Road Rage directly, no SG involved at all. I agree that if they are going to make SG characters, they should be interesting twists on the originals.

4. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

It's lazy exactly because it's so great for the Club. It's a lot easier for them to just release a figure with another color scheme and call it an SG version. It can lead to creative homages and clever versions of characters, but sometimes it can come across as uninspired.

Now, I don't blame FunPub for going that route. It gives them a lot more creative control, it's easier for them to do and the fandom as a whole seems to respond pretty well to it. I just hope that they eventually decide to cut it when the time is right (I do notice fans are beginning to lose interest... I predict that, unless it gets a serious shot in the arm SG will be pretty unpopular in a few years) rather than keep it going as a zombie.

5. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's a compromise, I suppose. "We're not going to do a Diaclone set, but you can use these figures instead."

6. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I think the podcast crew nailed it pretty good. Essentially they said this year's set wasn't so much Shattered Glass as it was just "opposite day." It's one thing to do a SG Rodimus where you still capture the personality of Rodimus where separating him from his Autobot self. It's another thing to essentially just do a red Tracks; it's not the most creative route. That's how I'm starting to see it and it's making me understand some fans complaints a little more.

7. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^ How do they know how well the personalities have been captured when they haven't seen the fiction yet?

8. Matty

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    It's assumptions. Let's take the Tracks example. I believe it's been mentioned that this figure is a duel purpose figure where it could be SG Tracks, but it also could be Classics Road Rage. But an example from the podcast was it would have been really innovative if SG Tracks was a figure with rusted doors, discolored fenders, scratches, things to that nature, etc. because typical Tracks cares about his paint and is very formal. That's what I think of when I think SG - a more than typical opposite day universe. Maybe that's where the lazy persona is coming from?

9. process

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Again, not lazy per se. Creative and execution issues moreso, I would say.

I agree, I think there needs to be some more diversity. But I can understand the difficulty in establishing new lines of fiction, and having to work with a limited selection of molds while simultaneously trying to give collectors something that doesn't read as a mere repaint.

I mean, that's really the challenge isn't it; how can we take an old toy, give it a new deco and maybe a new head, and have it read as a completely new character? While I'm no Animated fan, I think that's where last year's box set was extremely successful.

I think part of that is a consequence of working with non-primary characters. I might not be up on my Transformers fiction, but my impression is Tracks doesn't have nearly the amount of character development that Rodimus has. My guess is the accompanying fiction will be what determines whether these SG characters have the substance to justify their existence.

10. CheifMagnum84

CheifMagnum84 Active Member

Ok, maybe my rant earlier was a lil much, but my point, which stands, is that there should be more "our universe" transformers with the set. Its supposed to be Invasion right?

Even the odds for the home team. lol :)  Would it kill em to give us, off the top of my head, repainted Grapple as Hauler? Not much effort needed.

11. salmonman78

salmonman78 That's MR. Magnus to you all...

Eh, this will be the first time I will be getting to go to a Botcon, first time getting any of the 'Cons exclusives as well. I am happy for the set and excited, but I can sympathize about it feeling lackluster because the character's besides Soundwave and Magnus aren't huge characters you go nuts for. That and a lot of people are saying the molds are more recent.

But it will work out in the end, hopefully we will get better pictures of them before hand to ease our fears.

But, my wife even noticed the ducks...lol.

12. Hobbes-timus Prime

Hobbes-timus Prime TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Is that really a challenge when you're dealing with a franchise wherein the Seekers are some of the most popular characters ever?

Not to mention Ironhide and Ratchet, Rumble and Frenzy, Prowl and Bluestreak, Prime and Magnus, Red Alert and Sideswipe, Grapple and Inferno, and so on and so on and so on.

All we need is a new paint job to accept a new character. Some sirens on the alt. mode if you're feeling feisty.

Anyway, Shattered Glass started as this really straight forward, mirror universe concept, and now I feel like they're assigning me homework to keep up with it.

13. Lumpy

News Credits:
    i think that's a fine line FP walks though, look at 07 when they made 3 characters that were hugely popular, and it caused a massive shit storm that some fans STILL bitch about to this day, despite alternate non Botcon versions being released... i think FP should focus on the more obscure characters, that keeps me more interested...

i do agree a SG Tracks all rusted and busted would be awesome, but the paint apps alone would cost too much, and therefore rule it out... and that would be a distinctly SG Tracks, no possibility of repurposing, whereas this Tracks might not be SG in some peoples collections, but can fit by being Road Rage...

14. Anguirus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No, THAT would be opposite day. It's just taking Tracks' one notable personality trait and flipping it. Plus, POing any fan who wants to repurpose as a non-rusty Road Rage...and there's a small army of them. He can be dirty and rusty in the comic for all we know, without looking like HftD Leader Prime's face.

The most successful SG characters are ones like Soundwave, where it makes sense as an opposite, but also has its own identity.

15. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Volcanicus Torso

News Credits:
    Somewhere Wearing The Dinobots As Gloves & Boots
    IMHO it looks like Octo-crap.

16. Matty

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    It's opposite day with a purpose though, it's more innovative and creative; it's more Shattered Glass IMO. But we're starting to fall back into the "to each his own thing." I'm starting to see both sides of the arguments though, so I understand where everyone has their issues and their likes.

17. Anguirus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^ Personally I think it would be fun to do SG Tracks as a super macho-man, like Randy Savage. He doesn't fly, he punches the sky out of the way! He has no patience for girly-mechs, he'll wrestle them into the dirt! It even works with the much-criticized stockiness of the base fig.

18. process

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The G1 examples you cite may be repaints, but they have the benefit of being the foundation of the franchise, so it's far easier to accept. Without that precedence, it can take a significant amount supporting material to justify why a relatively new or repurposed character looks or acts a certain way.

19. Lumpy

News Credits:
    dude, that would be amazing... i'm a huge Tracks fan, and that's the best thing i've ever heard...

20. Robowang

Robowang I don't have AIDS

Ebay:
    If they paint him up like Macho Man, that would be my all-time favorite toy ever. He has to have a beard and glasses on the new head.