BotCon 2012 Octopunch Leaked?!

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by gen1fan, Jan 8, 2012.

1. adambman

adambman Well-Known Member

Speaking -to nobody in particular - of Treadbolt's head, is that the alternate shown in the instructions for RTS Jazz? I got more of the United releases so I don't have Jazz's RTS instructions at hand nor found them online - yet. So regardless of what may be a fool's errand on my part, what would a retool of Deluxe Jazz now be? Jackpot maybe? Perhaps Dead End or some minicons... As I've suggested before, hopefully Nightbead and Minerva eventually get their own figure and are worth the wait.

With the conjecture over how final or legitimate that version - or those photographs - of Octopunch may be, not to mention how red or purple that logo is, it seems the more we learn, further questions crop up lol. I will just have to wait patiently...

2. CheifMagnum84

CheifMagnum84 Active Member

Fed up with this set already: SHIT, SHIT, SHIT, SHIT, SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Octopunch has put me ova the fuckin edge. If you like SG, obv this set will make you all happy happy joy joy, but if your not bothered about SG, then this is a wasted set! I mean, whats in it for us who want normal characters?

Metalhawk and MAYBE kickoff and Spinster? (I do not count overlord, the Botcon version sux ass, Armada Tidalwave wulda bin betta!)

I don't care about holding my tounge anymore. Hasbro, Botcon, GET THE FUCKING FINGER OUT!

Who knew i'd be loving 3rd party gear more than official stuff . . . .

3. BraveMax

BraveMax Used to speak Japanese

News Credits:
    Dude - chill. They can't please everyone with every set. That's why, if you'll notice, they rotate.

I'm not much "bothered" about Animated, so last year's set was largely a pass for me. But SG and Classics molds I love - so this year's set is MUCH better for me. You see? Wait patiently, enjoy the fact that you don't have to spend money this year (or buy a set and sell it to someone to make a little money), and next year will probably have something more to your liking.

4. Dinobot747

Dinobot747 Chopperface

News Credits:
    They'll never be able to please everyone. For example, what about those who attended BotCon last year and hated Animated?

5. Megabattimus

Megabattimus Same As It Ever Was

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    [​IMG]

Anyways, Octopunch looks great. Sucks that he doesn't have a new head though.

6. Deceptigtar

Deceptigtar Sworn Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    lol^^^

7. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    Its not on the reveal the shield jazz instructions. but Hasbro did show it as the alternate head. This alternate head was shown in Hasbro’s presentation at BotCon 2010, same time that they unveiled RTS Jazz.

They had'nt decided who it would be used for at that point. But there is some speculation that it would make a decent skids.

As photography was'nt allowed David Willis did a sketch of it:

http://www.shortpacked.com/images/transformers/jazzalthead.jpg

Octopunch is only boring because Its a very recent mold between reveal the shield Deep Dive (2011) and Hunt for the Decepticons Seaspray. (2010)
    The colors may be accurate. But the mold just does'nt look like the character. Its very forced.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  8. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    God damn it you're right! I mean SCREW all those other years where they gave us Animated, or a G2 set, or other Classics related figures. SCREW THAT! I'm with you man, I'm gonna run my head into a wall because THIS year they purposely decided to waste this set.

9. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

Ish. The teal legs and arms doesn't really have any basis in the original shell. The original had a bit of light blue, but very little and not that bright. And given the red symbol, he's definitely SG.

Yeah, between the fact that he doesn't look that much like Octopunch, isn't super colored like Octopunch, the the fact color scheme strikes me more as "Seaspray as Shortround with hints of Octopunch," and the fact that ultimately, this is a redeco of Seaspray... with a white torso and blue limbs makes it hard to get really excited for it.

... of course, I really like the mold and think it does look pretty cool, just not super exciting.

10. Big Dawg

Big Dawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:

some people get so snarky on the internet when others voice their opinions- I think there is a valid point to the complaints about beating a dead horse with the SG universe. Wasn't the 2008 box set shattered glass as well? I mean, we should just do it in rotation:

-shattered glass
    -G2
    -animated
    -shattered glass
    -G2
    -animated...

so yeah, I can see the opinion about things getting a little stale, especially when you have to pony up 400-600 to get the toys (and yes, I realize people don't have to get them...)

11. Matty

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Just giving you a hard time man. No offense intended. I personally don't think the SG universe has been beaten to death too horribly. Granted, I didn't get the 2008 boxset when it initially came out, but I still have collected a majority of the figures. As for your rotation idea, where is that coming from? Are you just frustrated about this year's set and you think that's how FunPub will do it? I'm curious.

12. Girl Pants

Girl Pants aka brickonator

News Credits:
    I don't really get how it's SG though... I guess he doesn't have a monster mode and his colors are lighter. Still feels too much like a straight Classics Octopunch than Bizarro Octopunch.

Frankly, I think this would make a better SG Seaspray who is inspired by Octopunch's colors, like Cyclonus had Rodimus' colors.

13. Big Dawg

Big Dawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    no I was more backing up the previous guys idea (and Vangelus' POV from this weeks WTF @ TFW) that doing shattered glass again is lazy, and that by doing it again makes it seem like they're recycling old ideas. I mean how many times can you repaint classic jazz and sideswipe?

14. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I wouldn't call SG lazy per se. It's great for the Club, because it gives them an unlimited range of characters to work with since there's no overlap with mainline figures (theoretically). Trying to shoehorn Classics/G1 character into existing toys seems to cause a comparable amount of the frustration among collectors.

15. Deceptigtar

Deceptigtar Sworn Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah I still don't get how it's sg I'm his own colors just like Galvatron was and jazz.

16. Girl Pants

Girl Pants aka brickonator

News Credits:
    I have no real problem with them returning to a concept for BotCon. I think another G2 or Animated or BW set would be neat in a few years. However, my main gripe is that many of these toys seem like they're just regular Classics ones with a SG symbol tacked on. Not that I have any trouble slapping a reprolabel on them, but why not actually make and develop Road Rage as a character rather than return to SG with Tracks? Same goes for Ultra Magnus, they could have made him as "Powered Convoy" directly (maybe call him Magnum?). I just feel like the SG stuff writes itself a little too easily and that it'd be great if they could create some personalities and fiction for so many characters that already exist in toy form only (eHobby, Diaclone, etc).

17. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't necessarily disagree with you, but doesn't it sort of defeat the purpose of a mirror universe if you aren't using mirrored characters?

18. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There's still a chance he'll have a new head, but somehow I doubt he will. Hopefully Venksta or someone can make a proper head and trident (if you don't want to steal Space Case's). Also, like Road Rage, a well-placed repro symbol will take care of that faction problem.

19. Matty

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I certainly see those points. I see where FunPub is coming from; it's their own universe, of course they're going to be fanwanking it. What I'd like to think is that this set is FunPub kind of finishing it off. I think FunPub has the best intentions, but I understand the frustration I suppose.

20. arlocon

arlocon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Correct me if I am wrong, but Octopunch never had a faction symbol on the toy. They could have easily just left it off regardless if it is SG or not. I would have liked to have seen that killer skull he had on him instead.