Botcon 2011 Hasbro Story Panel

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Sol Fury, Jun 5, 2011.

1. yami4ct

yami4ct Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Totally agree, other than that 1 guy, I thought the questions were interesting and well thought out. This is a story panel, and I like that we're getting lots of backstory and how it's developed. That stuff's cool to me.

2. Optimatron

Optimatron Autobot

You're completely right, it is indeed a matter of perspective. Thank you captain obvious lol (all in good fun). Being that I am a fan of movie and Generations stuff I have to say that I am disappointed. I do however agree that it has been a great year for generations, but the thought of it stopping makes me ANGGGRRRRYYY (channeling Bill Bixby).

New Unicron kicks ass (really would like to have the 2010 version however my wallet would not), but I already have Takara MP09 so I'm pretty much set on Rodimus. IDK, I watch TF Prime, but since I'm not a huge fan of the aesthetic I don't really plan on buying too many of the figures. Impulse buys is another story lol. TF Prime as a show is pretty sweet though.

3. Sideswipe1954

Sideswipe1954 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wait what? What does that mean?

4. yami4ct

News Credits:
    Not calling you out specifically, I just hate all the people coming out and calling the whole thing crap because we didn't see anything new for generations. Generalizations annoy me :lol .

I think that means we're only seeing one at a time in most fiction because they're so similar. We have only Sideswipe in WFC and the movie for instance. I understand the sentiment, but I hope they do bring them back into fiction together. They are brothers and I'd love to see that dynamic in the fiction. We need more sunstreaker in general, though. Sideswipe's getting all the love.

5. Sammael

Sammael MightyMegatron from ATT

News Credits:
    Tell that to the D&D Miniatures line. Also, incidentally, killed by Hasbro a few years ago. And also riddled with QA, reduced quality (just look at the plastic they're using now) and distribution problems near the end. And people back then also kept saying that everything was fine with DDM, and that WotC (part of Hasbro) wouldn't stop producing DDM just because there was no news about it.

I'm not concerned that TFs are going away, since they aren't (particularly not with a major motion picture to be released in a few days). But, having witnessed the death of one Hasbro product line, I cannot help but worry if they are doing the right thing here.

6. Sammael

News Credits:
    No Generations, very little DOTM info, not a whole lot of Prime info either (though better than Generations and DOTM).

7. deathsheadx

deathsheadx Well-Known Member

outside of Classics the usage of the sunstreaker and sideswipe IP's were deliberately split up. i thought it was a case of random name selection being the reason we got a sideswipe in the movie and no sunstreaker.

but according to the panel it was more a concious choice on hasbro's part.

8. yami4ct

News Credits:
    The lack of DotM stuff is my only real complaint. I know they can't reveal stuff due to Paramount's instructions, most likely, but I just wish they'd have scheduled the con later then. Hindsight is 20/20. We saw a ton of prime stuff, in my opinion, especially for a line launching in december. I expected one more wave of reveals at most. I'm happy with what we've got. Could we have seen more, probably, but the fiction panels have all been enlightening and interesting.

9. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Transformers is currently Hasbro's largest earning brand and their crown jewel. It's not under any threat.

And considering how seriously Hasbro takes the brand these days, to the point of holding a panel to explain stuff about internal background storylines and concepts for their current continuity, stuff that the public will, for the most part, never see, assures me that the brand is in safe hands. That is, they're not just making toys and then doing fiction like they used to do, they're building a fictional universe that they can make toys for, which is much healthier for the brand and their company, long term.

10. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    With Bumblebee being as strong a fixture as he is, its probably going to be difficult to market another yellow Autobot car going forward.

11. yami4ct

News Credits:
    Honestly, who says they have to be yellow and red? I don't mind shifting things up. It's the characterizations I'd like to see. They could totally do a different colored car that transformed into a robot with yellow highlights if they had to keep the colors. I understand the sentiment, I just think there's a way around it. Honestly, though, there are so many transformers characters. They can't use them all in everything.

12. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    If there are no other panels left for today then I can see that as being disappointing, but not an outright con.

Mainly because the movie itself isn't out yet and they probably don't want to spoil anything. They've said we'll see upcoming waves revealed after it's release.

I'd say we've gotten a lot, just no pics. We now know we're getting a Voyager Prime, Bulkhead and Starscream, the Cyberverse line will be used for Prime, Ironhide will be a character, that there'll be plenty more characters introduced, Season 2 will be much more intense, Cliffjumper will be seen again in some form, Wheeljack will return and is a mechanic, there will be a multi-episode arc covering Bumblebee and the loss of his voice, etc. They didn't drop anything big to avoid spoilers.

13. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    So all those toy reveals were nothing?

We went from having five toys confirmed to having thirteen, (and by extension that Cyberverse will expand to include more than DOTM) plus Ironhide.

14. yami4ct

News Credits:
    With the line not launching until december, I'm not sure they'd even have much more prime stuff ready to show. The later stuff was all grey prototype. I'd imagine any more stuff would be early art, cg, blocky model stuff, and all that's far to subject to change to show off.

15. Sammael

News Credits:
    So, eight new toys revealed, of which at least two (Voyager Prime and Bulkhead) were givens? I wouldn't exactly call that a whole lot of info, but whatever...

16. Sammael

News Credits:
    For the toys to be released in December, they have to be shipped in late October.

For the toys to be shipped in late October, they have to start production in August.

For the toys to start production in August, they have to pass the final safety tests (including those that test the paint contents) in July. Which is in a couple of weeks.

The fact that they showed only grey prototypes simply means that they didn't want to show anything else. The toys are very likely very close to being done right now.

17. yami4ct

News Credits:
    When they reveal classics stuff, how many do they usually reveal? Typically, I never remember seeing more than that at a time. BotCon last year was an exception, and that still wasn't that much more not counting legends stuff. 8 is a pretty good number.

18. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Yep, and they usually have the panel slideshows prepped and ready to go a good while before Botcon actually happens.

19. Fort Max

Fort Max Too many is never enough. Veteran

News Credits:
    Do we know for certain that voyager Prime and co are coming in December though? The first edition figures are, we know that much.

Seem to recall the grey resin pics being announced as a 2012 sneak peak, which would make sense, TFP will be next year's main line so the voyagers/cybververse etc will launch early next year.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  20. Sammael

News Credits:
    I was under the impression that the first edition figures are coming out earlier, and the full line launch begins in December, but I could be wrong...