Botcon 2009 Hasbro Preview Panel

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Sol Fury, May 30, 2009.

1. wheeljack01

wheeljack01 Happiness is a warm gun

It seems that there is mixed feelings about the Fans project/Hasbro news, but really what did you expect? Someone clearly making a profit/living off your product and you get nothing from it? Your own on-line retailers selling it as well, right beside your product, and still no money from it? I want a triple changing Springer AND Broadside as much as anybody, but you knew it was not going to end well. In the end it's all about rights and money, which Hasbro has the rights and is getting NO money, then someone is going to get shut down. I respect the products that Fans Project, SGcollect, and the rest are trying to produce, but this was going to happen sooner or later. To those that think Hasbro is dicks or whatever, you may want to look at exceptible business principles of IP, they could of shut themdown soon as the first product rolled out, but they didn't. They probably thought things like the trailers were one-offs and that they would not actually start making transformable bots as well. As for what was show on the slideshow, I am eagerily awaiting pics of Rodimus,Blackout,Wingblade Prime, Bludgeon, and Lockdown. I hope all you guys are having a blast at Botcon!

2. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

So to mae it clear, we aren´t getting the other constructcons (Overload, and the other two) as toys? Doesn´t make much sense to release Lockdown as a movie character and not release some of the transformers that actually appear in the movie.

3. General Tekno

General Tekno Lugnut Supremor & Arkivist

News Credits:
    No, they didn't specifically say we weren't getting them as toys.

I think they might not transform in the movie, but I can see us getting Scrapper and Overload. I'm skeptical we'll get Hightower though.

...then again, I think Scrapper's the one with the best chance of coming out. Odds are Hasbro doesn't want to do TOO many Constructicon Voyagers, and you'd need a Voyager to do Overload properly given his length.

4. General Magnus

Hmm, a Deluxe Overload might work, Bonecrusher´s alt mode was rather long too. And it made a decent Voyager. Hightower is what part of Devastator? I´m getting the names and atls modes mixed..kik

5. YoungPrime

YoungPrime Herald Of Primus

News Credits:
    Guess their making more money, dangling the carrot.

6. General Tekno

General Tekno Lugnut Supremor & Arkivist

News Credits:
    Hightower is the crane that turns into the scorpion/raptor thingie.

7. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    I don't understand why can't Hasbro just buy the molds from Fan Project which gives Fan Projects more money for more custom add-ons to toys while Hasbro finally can give fans the satisfaction of Autobot triple-changers while not being lazy about making the whole triple-changing Autobots.

8. General Magnus

Dammit, stupid me..I meant "Bonecrusher made a decent sized Deluxe"

9. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

Technically there was a Universe Dirge.

Are people still expecting Botcon seekers with retail releases? Dear god...

10. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    we better get Scrapper! i think he's the best looking Constructicon in 'bot mode (i mean, if they made Rampage...)

11. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    well, Hasbro did say something to the effect of it wasn't impossible in a QnA (i.e. using the Takara molds with unique color schemes).

Honestly, i'm hoping if/when Universe/Classics rolls back around the come up with a new mold for at least Thrust if not a new seeker base ~ the Deluxe seeker is one of the worst molds from the Classics line. (it's not bad or anything, just worst among many greats)

12. Slimaximus

Slimaximus Headmaster

News Credits:
    You know what, that makes too much sense lol. It would be great if hasbro would contract teams like FP to do stuff like that then maybe we would get some well deserving characters released that hasbros design team don't have time for and bulk up the number of releases

13. General Magnus

I like Overload. I really dig the choice for the alt. It looks very good and something that looks very imposing. Those kind of construction vehcles look very imposing in real life.

14. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Behold, Gagatron!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Since I'm actually working on some custom accessories that I planned to sell to anyone interested (in small numbers though) this bothers me. I never planned to make huge money on the stuff my friend and I make (I consider most of these custom toys, like the Classics Cliffjumper accessories, extremly overpriced) but I'd have wanted to share them with many fans, and I cannot just give them out for free as 3D printing will cost me.

What'd hasbro say if I asked trades instead, I wonder? I mean, no money will change hands, just toy trading. I doubt they'd have issues with that.

And anyway I only plan to make stuff they will most likely never do (first project is custom weapons for the G1 Mayhem Squad).

15. Scourgatron

Scourgatron 4D Smart-ass

News Credits:
    Safety tests, $$$$$$$$$$$$, having a product that more than 100 people would buy, $$$$$$$$$$$$$$, contracts, packaging.....

16. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Behold, Gagatron!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Not to mention the four hands - that'd make a great-looking robot mode.

Apart from Mixmaster and Scavenger/Demolishor, I'm strangely liking the Constructicons, despite Movie Bayformer looks.

17. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We Exist, and We DON'T Want to Date You

News Credits:
    if you're not making a profit, just selling them at cost, Hasbro doesn't seem to have a problem with it.

You could also just email them and ask, outlining your project and what you'll be selling it for and why.

--Moony

18. Runamuck

Runamuck Sushi

News Credits:
    Not sure, but does that mean they will have chrome weapons?

19. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

This.

And when you want to make something using another companies Copyright, trademark or Intellectual property here is how you do it:

*Contact owner with prototype.
    *Arrange contract to licence your product.
    *Sell product.
    *Make Profit.

it never works like this:

*Sell product based on other companies Copyright, trademark or IP.
    *Make Profit.
    *Be told to Cease and Disist.
    *Arrange contract to licence your product.
    *Continue to sell product.
    *Make Profit.

The only way this works is if you pay a back penalty or royalties on all the stuff you sold.

FP should focus on their own original products... not trying to skate around the fact that City Commander is Ultra Magnus and those other two are Springer and Broadside. Because they are and they know it even if you call it 'warbot'.

I can't sell something that looks 100% like Mickey mouse and call it 'ricky rat' and get away with it even if I made it from scratch.

20. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    "Will not necessarily be seeing every character in Devastator as an individual character"

I was worried about this at first, but now that I think about it, "necessarily" is quite a weasel word. I think that one possible interpretation of this is that seeing as
    Demolishor is apparently not the same as Scavenger and the latter is the one that is part of devastator yet they share both modes, it's possible that we will not see Demolishor redecoed/repacked as Scavenger
    but we could still get toys of Overload/Hightower/Scrapper and still not "necessarily" have all the devastator components as individual characters.