BOTCON 06' Any word?

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by devstar37, Jan 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Edgewise

Edgewise Fanner

News Credits:
    HA HA HA! Whatever.

Of course you wouldn't wish for that, but as can be seen by later posts in this thread making a post about were you want Botcon to be is really just saying where you live, destroys any discussion about the real topic and is POINTLESS.

Furthermore, specifically Chicago has no reason to complain about not getting Botcons and really doesn't deserve ANOTHER one.

Besides people saying where they live, it often seems people say there's "plenty of hotels" and it's a "great place" because of all the "things to do" etc... If someone really believes they have such a perfect location I'd like to see them actually get, you know,... specific details that matter to convention planners. What's the size of the convention space? What would it cost?

2. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Veteran

News Credits:
    Vegas... Who can say no to THAT???

3. Kupp

Kupp Relic of a time before time. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Come to Boston or New York, then I might go.

4. AutobotSDG

AutobotSDG Well-Known Member

It is true that it's hardly held on the west coast (once) and yes there are plenty of good places to have it on the west coast. However, if its held on the west coast, then a lot of people on the east coast can't or won't make the trip. Anyone remember the pretty low turnout for BC '98 in Anaheim, CA? Because it was so far west coast that it was too expensive for those living on the east coast to fly and forget driving, especially for dealers. Same could be said for it being on the east coast with the fans on the west coast.

Which is why, for the sake of everyone that it be held in a centralized location, like TX was. Sure there are bound to be someone somewhere that will luck out and it be "in their backyard" but that can't be avoided and that lucky person will just have to house some Transfans for the weekend for gloating about it so much, heheh.

Just for the record, I live in Northern California and I drove 6 hours to go to BC '98 which was my first BC because it was held on the west coast. That being said, I don't think it should be held on either coast. Somewhere between the coasts is just fine.

5. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I disagree, it's not pointless at all. Completely regardless of the fact that I live in the Orlando area (and as I stated previously), when you consider that Orlando is the 'tourist mecca' of the nation and major national conventions are held here throughout the year, it is merely <i>surprising</i> to me that Botcon has never been held here. I assume there is a valid reason for this, I just can't imagine what it would be. Frankly, I don't care a bit where the convention is held, I just want to see wise choices made that will ensure the continued future success of the con and the club.
    Not trying to be confrontational, but how does a city <i>deserve</i> or fail to <i>deserve</i> a convention? If it made the most economic sense to hold it in Chicago every single year, then that would unquestionably be the right decision to make, in spite of the fact that it may inconvenience a few people. We have to think bigger than "it doesn't work for me".
    All worthwhile considerations when determining where to hold your convention, I'd say.
    That's really the convention planner's job, isn't it - what they're paid to do? Don't you think they want to make a successful, profitable choice and that they're researching the heck out of where they'll get the best bang for their buck?

Again, as we surmise about where the con might be for 2006, I am surprised Orlando has never been selected, based on the fact that it costs less money than other major cities, has the beaches and theme parks, and draws major conventions ALL the time. There must be an unseen reason why they've chosen not to have it here up to this point, and I would imagine that their research has determined it's not the best choice.

6. Edgewise

Edgewise Fanner

News Credits:
    AMS, I think you misunderstand the points I was trying to make.

What I think is "pointless" is posts that say nothing but where someone lives. I feel it contributes nothing to the discussion and these threads would be better off without them.

I don't really mean to say how a city does or does not "deserve" a convention, but under the notion that planners want to move the convention around to different places(not thinking strictly about what's economical/convenient), Chicago should be low on the list since it's had 3 "official" TF conventions already. Also Transfans in the area should be happy they've had that many and not selfishly want it near them ever year. I'm fine with Chicago, but if that criteria's important it may not "deserve" it.

For the "worthwhile" considerations and it being the planner's job... my point is not that those AREN'T worthwhile, but that posters are just making incredibly vague statements as "reasons". What place doesn't have hotels? What place really doesn't have things to do? The questions should be what place has appropriate sizes/costs, what are the things to do, what are specific logisitcs. If someone wants to claim their place is so good and try to convince people, possibly planners, then vague statements like "we got lots of hotels" is not good enough, and they should do some legwork for details.

Not saying planners aren't doing all that, I'm surely positive they are. I'm just talking about these vague postings that I don't think are worth much.

Orlando... it costs less than most major cities... where do you get that, what are you figures? MC/FP held the 2004 Joe con in Orlando I believe(or someplace in Florida) so I think it is someplace they'd consider. BUT what I had heard from people who attended the convention was that it was one of the most expensive places. So instead of saying "it's cheaper", I'd like to see someone get facts/figures to back up opinions/vague statements.

7. Edgewise

Edgewise Fanner

News Credits:
    AutobotSDG, I respect that viewpoint and your thoughtfulness, especially since it's unfavorable to your location ;) 

But to play Devil's Advocate(from someone in the middle of the country even), being on a coast maybe a bit bad, but I'm not sure it's such a huge factor. There are larger population centers on the coasts to draw from for one.

Also I don't think being on a coast should be a huge deterrent for people on the other coast, a check on Expedia gave me these figures:
    9/14-9/18: New York to LA roundtrip ticket ~$300
    9/14-9/18: New York to Dallas roundtrip ticket ~$260

So something around $40 shouldn't break the bank when budgeting for Botcon. Or are there people that would drive from the coast to Dallas or wherever in the middle?

And attendance figures from: http://www.botcon.com/archive/conventions.html don't show being on the coast to be a really bad thing. The 1998 attendance was low compared to later years, but Botcon was still growing, and up to that time it was the largest attendance in BC's history, though it was a relatively small increase. The 2004 Botcon definitely seemed to attract plenty of people despite being on a coast and being "unofficial".
    1994: Total Attendance: 180
    1995: Total Attendance: 276
    1996: Total Attendance: 400
    1997: Total Attendance: 760
    1998: Total Attendance: 870
    1999: Total Attendance: 1104
    2000: Total Attendance: 1677
    2001: Total Attendance: 1875 (Durham: East Coast, decent increase from 2000 in Fort Wayne)
    2002: Total Attendance: 2135
    2004: Total Attendance: 1365 (In CA & "Unofficial")

I had been thinking the Northwest should have a Botcon, but wherever is cool with me, I might make or I might not.

8. G.B. Blackrock

G.B. Blackrock Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    Well, if we're going to go by that thin of a statement, it should be specified that what people were saying was that there would be no way that the convention could possibly be any earlier than the Fall, given the change in organizers. Nothing about a specific date at all. Even getting as specific as "sometime in September" was just speculation and best intentions.

At best, that just means that people knew they'd have to have longer than normal to save up their money. And "start saving now" is good advice in any event. They wouldn't have been able to buy any plane tickets, though.

EDIT: To be fair, we now know that FP always intends to do their conventions in September (if not later, though September seems most likely). Also, they do intend to release more information sooner this year than last.

9. G.B. Blackrock

News Credits:
    Apparently, Brian Savage (you may already know this, but since no context is given, I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or serious.)

Link

10. Super_Megatron

Super_Megatron Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
  11. NotFastEnuff

NotFastEnuff I'm a smartass...

Ebay:
    I, personally would like to see Atlanta. (no, I don't live in or near it, 5 hours away) I think that's it's a large enough venue, plenty of hotels, and in a place that it hasn't been yet, namely, the south. Just my .02.

I do wish they'd announce it, so I can decide if I'm going or not.

12. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch

News Credits:
    I kind of like the fact that none of the convention's have been near me or in my back yard. Ive been to three conventions now and its been nice to see different parts of the country.

13. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Veteran

News Credits:
    I was kinda being both... I read through that link and didn't see anything that was a solid reason as to why it shouldn't be in Vegas... Is there a reason Brian Savage is against Vegas???

I can come up with a bunch of reason why Vegas would be a great location and a whole bunch of reasons why it wouldn't, but I'd thought it would help if we knew why he won't consider it.

But yeah, I'd love it if it were in Vegas...

14. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:

Pffff. What a lame excuse. :p 

15. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    I too would like to see it at either Chicago or Florida. Atlanta....have you tried to get a flight outta Atlanta? They have about a 95% chance of delays..... And to set it straight, I don't mind driving or flying but give the west coast a chance.
    MegaMus

16. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    well then something a little more west-ish xD

hopefully ill be able to go and get some kind of discount

*kackle*

xD

17. Edgewise

Edgewise Fanner

News Credits:
    I'd count Durham as the south.

18. G.B. Blackrock

News Credits:
    I'm having trouble finding the posts that I read at the time, so I'm just going by memory here (indeed, the link I posted wasn't my original source, but it was the better of the two I could find on such short notice). Seems like he thought the costs were too high or something like that. I'd certainly welcome any better information, though.

19. Judgment Day

Judgment Day Energon Extractor No.533

Actually, Botcon @ Orlando is a pretty good idea.

Las Vegas isn't bad, but I heard the rent costs are insane. That...and Vegas owes me $20 :) 

20. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

Tut tut. It's in Fort Worth, Dallas' armpit...where nothing happens, so everybody goes to Dallas but doesn't like to be lumped in or confused with Dallas. :p 

But yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if it was in the Metroplex again. It's close to MC HQ, the airport is a major hub. Just hope it's not out in the sticks again. The GIJoe con is not only in New Orleans, the hotel is on the north end of the Quarter. Not that any place in Dallas compares to that, but it doesn't have to be in a suburb of a suburb either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.