Minor/Repaint: BotBots Venus Frogtrap: Fixed Transformation

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Skert, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Skert

Skert Well-Known Member

*updated after adding in a touch of extra paint*

So after my Snippy Snappy custom didn't turn out to be too difficult, figured it was worth taking a look at some of the other BotBots I gotgot recently. So here is my (slight) mod to Venus Frogtrap.

I know a few different video reviewers and podcasts have touched on the fact that Venus Frogtrap seems to have suffered from either a production error or some late-stage changes in how this particular BotBot was finally realized, leaving the transformation seen in the instructions completely un-achievable with the final figure... so after getting one myself and seeing how frustratingly close it was to the one shown in the instructions, I thought I'd give a go at 'fixing' her.

Comparison with instructions alignment post-fix,
    [​IMG]

Comparisons,
    [​IMG] Essentially after doing some fiddling with a knife, I managed to extend the channel the stem slides along inside the pot, extending it closer to the edge/back of the pot. I also removed some of the green dirt to accommodate the leaves/arms when folded down.

From the front,
    [​IMG]

And to show it's still fully transformable (inasmuch as this particular BotBot does...) here's the 'alt-mode',
    [​IMG]

*Added in some paint just to match it closer to what the illustrations look like (red tongue and actual dirt-coloured dirt for a start) which is pulling double-duty in also helping hide the places I made incisions. W̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶u̶p̶d̶a̶t̶e̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶t̶h̶o̶s̶e̶ ̶s̶h̶o̶t̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶c̶e̶ ̶i̶t̶'̶s̶ ̶a̶l̶l̶ ̶d̶r̶i̶e̶d̶ ̶u̶p̶.̶

And a closer look to highlight just how much lower the stem can get now (from before painting)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    • Like Like x 11
  2. Unicron9

Unicron9 Fan and customizer of the TAWYS

GET LOW GET LOW!
    Yeah I got a lot of these for my kids (and because I wanted a few specific ones for myself from the packs I got them) and that plant one was the only one that was just trash. Not only did it not transform right, but barely a transformation even if it did work. Plus the stupid little legs love to fall off way too easily, and are so small that they'd get lost real easily too.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Skert

Skert Well-Known Member

Oof, yeah consensus seems to be that it really is the weakest of the line by far. Along with the front legs popping - off and nearly-indistinguishable alt/monster-mode - the back legs are a real chore to get out at all. Only bought 3 blind pods myself out of curiosity... but of course I pulled this one right off the bat :lol 

4. f-primusunicron

f-primusunicron Unicron Herald BladeZero

News Credits:
    AWESOME, finally someone fixed HER

• Like Like x 2
  5. shiftypenguin

shiftypenguin Fancy-Pantsless Dancer

News Credits:
    Perfect! Excellent work adding articulation to that little guy.

• Like Like x 1
  6. konrathink

konrathink Jared Magnus

Looks awesome. I picked up a pack with this guy in it thinking my son would love him the most, but he doesn't want much to do with him. He transforms the least out of all of them, but hopefully with these improvements it'll peek his interest more. The painted tongue is a great touch.

• Like Like x 1
  7. marvel b

marvel b Bearer of the Matrix of Smash

News Credits:
    I literally made a post asking "where did you do mods" only to finally see the section of the post of you explaining it...
    *Facepalms, then deletes it*

Anyway, I'm definitely going to be doing this when I get her in-hand.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Skert

Skert Well-Known Member

Thanks! I saw they're re-using this mold in wave 2... i can only hope it'll include some changes because it definitely has some potential as a concept at least!

Well, in fairness, my explanation isn't the most detailed ever haha
    I had meant to take some more close-up shots of the changes within the pot (without the stalk in the way) and will upload those when I have time in the next few days just in case that's helpful for people that are in the process of making their own mods.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Soundwavelover2004

Soundwavelover2004 Well-Known Member

That is cool