Books You're Currently Reading?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Toddler Naruto, May 29, 2014.

1. Toddler Naruto

Toddler Naruto Playful Explorer

Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Note: Please don't discuss what comics/manga etc you are reading. Light Novels are okay though.

I'll start us off ^_^.

I started reading Artemis Fowl Book 04: The Opal Deception, I'm really loving this nostalgic trip into my childhood (I was obsessed with the series when I was a teen).

2. Doctor Doom

Doctor Doom Doom is best pony Veteran

Just finished the latest book of The Dresden Files, Skin Game. Will re-read it again this week to find the little gems one can miss out while devouring a new book.

3. Wrecker217

Wrecker217 There's a 50 character limit to titles. Now you kn

News Credits:
    I'm going over Sword Art Online book 5 again in preparation of season 2. Sinon be messed up, yo.

4. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm currently reading "The School" from T.M. Wright.

5. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Clive Cussler, Night Probe!

Haven't really started it yet though, TPB's are eating into my reading time.

6. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    hehe, 'night probe'.

last book i enjoyed was strange & norrell. still waiting on the sequel, was told it would be a long wait.

7. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

I just read 1984 and Catch-22.

Honestly, 1984 was a bit of disappointment. It had great ideas, and I didn't see the twist coming. However, most of the book is just so dull. I've heard so many great things about it, and read so many books that are often compared to it that it just did not meet my expectations. I really wanted to love this book.

Catch-22 is a brilliant satire. It is one of the funniest books I have ever read, and all the characters have memorable stories and personality quirks. It is also a deep drama, but it is hidden for most of the book as the comedy is just so funny. There are many great themes as well such as mortality. I loved everything about the book except for its portrayal of women. However, I can't call that a big negative because its just describing how the characters react to and treat women, and everything in the book is exaggerated.

8. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    Just started David Copperfield which is pretty good and I'm going to start either Nineteen Eighty Four or To Kill a Mockingbird but I can't decide. Most likely I'll go with Nineteen Eighty Four because I'm on a dystopian future-fix after watching Days of Future Past. Just finished Jane Eyre too, which I didn't particularly like, mainly because I found Jane to be a massive bitch.

9. koh4711

koh4711 King of Hearts

Ebay:
    Working my way through A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking, so I'll probably be due some light reading after this. Still, I'm finding that I absolutely love books on cosmology, and this one breaks down some of the headier ideas with some easily understandable metaphors. Max Tegmark's book, Our Mathematical Universe, is interesting along the same lines, though my brain isn't quite math oriented enough to fully grasp the mathematical universe hypothesis he discusses at the end of the book.

Before that, I read Hunter, the latest from Michael Carroll's Super Human series, which was a lot of fun. If you haven't checked these out and like super hero stories, these are pretty fun ones.

10. AgentAlabama113

AgentAlabama113 Wily Old Buzzard

Rereading 11/22/63 by Stephen King. Its basically about this guy whose friends finds a time portal to the mid 50s, and convinces the main character to use it to save JFK from being assassinated. Long story short, the guy
    falls in love, stops Oswald, but his girlfriend dies during the fight, then he goes back to 2011 to find that keeping JFK alive apparently means nuclear apocalypse, and he then goes back and undoes all of it.

11. Gort

Gort Klaatu barada nikto TFW2005 Supporter

The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast by Jack Campbell

I love this series.

12. Algernon

Algernon Radicon Acolyte

News Credits:
    Just finished The Road by Cormac McCarthy. Good book.

13. nobleboivin

nobleboivin Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just started reading a novel I got. Transformers: Exodus.

14. Beastwarsfan95

Beastwarsfan95 !sdrawkcab si egassem sihT

News Credits:
    Google+:
    Tumblr:
    halo: the fall of reach and the ancestors tale.

15. llamatron

llamatron OFFICIAL MMC REP TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I found 1984 to be unbearably repetitive. The same few ideas were just re-explained and repeated over and over and over and over and over. It was such a chore to read.

16. bacon4e

bacon4e Resident Cheesehead

Dune. The book is okay so far, but the pacing is really bad. Especially for the "best sci-fi book ever written"

17. Algernon

Algernon Radicon Acolyte

News Credits:
    I don't get the crazy worship of Dune. The world building was interesting but the characters were straight-up archetypes. They didn't feel like real people at all.

18. bacon4e

bacon4e Resident Cheesehead

It kinda feels like another thing star wars took from. The detail of planets that don't even appear in the novel (even as far through it as I am) is stellar. The plot is pretty standard, it seems, and there are a lot of characters (somewhat important ones too) that just kind of blend in. All that said, it's not bad, I just expected a little more out of it.

19. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

I think it would have been a better short story. The ideas are good, but they are basically on the surface. Literally the synopsis on the book will describe what those ideas are and everyone knows about the Big Brother thing by now. The romance and the journal writings were indeed repetitive. I am a big sci-fi dystopian fan, so I was highly disappointed that the book that inspired many elements of some of my favorite sci-fi books did not meet my expectations. It's not just me either, my AP English teacher basically likes all the books I like, and she was also really excited to finally read the book that has been hyped as one of the greatest sci-fi novels of all time as well. She was also very disappointed, and I am pretty sure she was more disappointed than I was.

I should be borrowing my friend's Divergent books soon and delving into those. Hopefully I have better luck with those. After that, I am going to read this one book I got with one of my local scholarships. Then, I am going to try and continue the I Am Number Four series because I enjoyed the first book so much and never continued for some reason. The same goes for The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series. I have a lot to read this summer, and I am not required to read anything for school.

20. joebot.

joebot. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Instagram:
    Do art books/ art catalogues count? If so I'm reading Ralph Eugene Meatyard: An American Visionary. It's fantastic so far. I bought five different catalogues from my work recently. I just wish they weren't so pricey. Meatyard was an influential American fine art photographer. I wanted the hard cover copy but it was $120 with a 35% discount.

I'm also reading a catalogue of Tony Feher's work (sculptor/ assemblage), I got a signed copy, and another catalogue of Danny Lyon: The Bikeriders, another photographer.

Last edited: May 30, 2014