Book Transformers Genesis?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by unmc2001, Jun 20, 2008.

1. unmc2001

unmc2001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    How good is this book? Is it worth picking up? I recently got the Transformers Visual Works book and liked it a lot so I was looking into some of the other transformers books to pick up.

2. MC Rap Throne

MC Rap Throne unknown member

News Credits:
    DO NOT SUPPORT this book. The author has robbed artwork from all of the participating artists.

3. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Nobody defeats the DEVASTATOR!

The book's decent. I got it a few years ago before I knew all the issues that surrounded it.

4. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    ^See this?
    Believe it. Mako here was one of those artists. The guy who did the book, Sebastien Clavet, didn't pay most of the people who worked on it. I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.

5. TrooperMaximus

TrooperMaximus Well-Known Member

Was it copywritten work or just used without permission?

6. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Commissioned specially for the book, I believe. He just never actually bothered PAYING for them.

7. Darkhawk79

Darkhawk79 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've got the book and it's worth it in my opinion.....first i've heard of these issues but then again i don't read every thread posted on the boards

8. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

I have it, it's an amazing book, but as stated above, there is alot of issues behind it's creation. I believe it's even been bootleged in china. i'm not sure if when 88mph went belly up the responsibility went over to Image comics (publisher) with the issues with paying the artists or not. i've seen this book go for upwards of $200 though.

9. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Nobody defeats the DEVASTATOR!

really? I think I got it off Amazon.com for dirt cheap.

10. Metal Chaos

Metal Chaos The Spark of Chaos

News Credits:
    i hope he gets sued, profiting from others work is wrong.

11. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    He actually WAS sued, by Hasbo. He countersued. Don't know how that turned out, what with his dropping off the face of the Earth.

12. Runamuck

Runamuck Sushi

News Credits:
    I bought this way back when it was first released. I think it's actually pretty awesome. I didn't know anything about the drama behind it until now. If it's going for $200, maybe I can sell it. lol

And I wonder what happened to that lawsuit with Hasbro, that Chris mentioned. Does anyone have any info pertaining to the outcome?

13. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

the price is sporadic, i've seen it only in the low hundreds, but others keep saying they got it in discount bins, strange things surround this book indeed.

i believe the suit was dropped or something. i know he still holds the publishing rights to Ghostbusters, and that keeps the company open.

www.88mph.net

14. orionprime

orionprime <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

There are four of them listed on amazon right now ranging between $85 and $165. Got mine in a sale bin for $12 back in 2003.

15. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

Sebastien Clavet is a fucking asshole. I still have an open paypal dispute for it as he has 32$ of my money for a pre-order he never filled. And his response was that us TF fans were taking money out of his families mouths and he then sued HASBRO. He even posted once to say he would man up and pay, and he still never did.

He stole pre-orders, he never paid his artists and he took no responsibility for his actions or the result. And now he has moved onto ghostbusters books with our stolen money. THIEF! THEIF!

I wish Hasbro would sue him to the point he needs to sell his kidneys to support his family.

But it is a nice book. I wish that the person who made it didn't screw it up because I feel like all 'good will' to make another of its type is completely gone. Every time someone victimizes the community, it ruins all future attempts at it. Which is why I am glad to see the Ultra Magnus classics kit apparently going so well after the previous scam artists who have tried to make a buck off of custom TF molds.

Edit: the bastard still advertises Genisis on his website! He is using people's art to continue to promote his printing resume:
    http://www.88mph.net/index.php?content=tf.php

Son of a bitch.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2008
  16. unmc2001

unmc2001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Since the book is not available at retail any longer buying one from a fellow collector would not really be supporting this Clavet person. From what I read I do not like what he did. Really screwed some people.

17. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^

This is the greatest post I have ever read. Sebastien Clavet is the mother of motherfuckers everywhere.

18. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    And yet, when some people were actually trying to organize a class action suit against him a couple of years ago, this very board pushed them away. Sometimes I really wonder why there isn't _more_ fraud in this fandom.

19. DJ Soundwave

DJ Soundwave Action Figure Master

Jees I didn't know it was going for that much .... Am I glad I got 3 of them .

20. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    By using these boards, it would have dragged us into the lawsuit which we wanted no part in. Yeah, no thanks.

I was one of the guys actively removing those threads, along with threads for people wanting to use this site for law suits against Glen Hallit. I would do so again in a heartbeat.