BMB oversized KO Challenger

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Megawillbot, May 9, 2021.

1. Shmoptimus Prime

Shmoptimus Prime Za Warudo!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    There are some answers already but none that actually fit what I do I think. I use an actual alcohol ink wash, it comes already made so you don't have to do much except mix the colors you want and add a bit of water to thin it to your liking. Then you just brush it on so that it gets in all the cracks, let it dry, repeat, then all the details pop like crazy. Also for this figure since it's so intensely bright silver it makes it look a lot more realistic. Here's what I use, I got it on amazon a couple years back:

IMG_6887.JPG

Here's what the arm area looks like after some ink washing, as a close-up. You can also see the difference in that pic I posted a page or two back showing the two legs as a before and after.

IMG_6894.JPG
    Yes @NemesisJazz did an amazing job painting his and I'm also in the process of doing mine. I need another layer of ink wash in some places, then I need to panel line on top and dry brush silver and some other details then a clear coat:

IMG_6893.JPG

• Like Like x 11
  2. skywarp-2

skywarp-2 Master of Teleportation

Ebay:
    What Autobot Symbol is that? is it a sticker or waterslide? did you clear coat the symbol?

3. Shmoptimus Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    It’s just a sticker. I wish I had a smaller one but this was the smallest I could find. I wish the reprolabels sheets came with less large ones and more small decals!

Haven’t finished with ink washing and detailing the torso so no clear coat yet.

• Like Like x 2
  4. zark225

zark225 Talon Productions on YouTube

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    Since you mentioned a clear coat I wanted to ask, what clear coat do you recommend?

• Like Like x 1
  5. VVa

VVa If you don't Booyah back I want you dead.

Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Dear god that looks incredible.
    I may have to try that.

• Like Like x 3
  6. octobotimus

octobotimus Bad company ruins good morals

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    My figure has arrived today!!

No broken ears or anything I can see. The shoulders even after loosening them feel very sketchy tho. Quality feels way better than their Megatron yet the shoulders make him feel…. Iffy.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2022
    • Like Like x 7
  7. Atomic Tofu

Atomic Tofu Well-Known Member

YouTube (Legacy):
    I believe mine arrived today, but I'm waiting on another day of work...this one right here, lol (dudes I hope he's undamaged, hehe). THEN, I'll wait another day or 2 (hopefully before weekend) for Bingo Shockwave to arrive. Then I'll open them all up...and get working on some vids.

• Like Like x 1
  8. octobotimus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    transformed half the torso so far and I’m already getting Toyworld Vibes from the paint chips left in my hand.

There’s also weird wet stuff on my hands from the inside of the figure WTF :mad: 

Last edited: Jan 27, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  9. skywarp-2

Ebay:
    Weird. I haven’t transformed mine yet. I have a general rule of thumb now with all third party figures. Open, let sit for at least two days before trying to transform. My idea is that out of the box will allow paint curing to hold better before messing with it.
    I’m glad yours came in without issue. I’m with you on the shoulders tho. The replacements can’t come soon enough.

the ears are delicate but I’m looking forward to getting a replacement head at some point in the future. I still love this guy, but once the replacement shoulder joints come I’ll love him even more because I’ll be able to actually mess with him without fear.

• Like Like x 1
  10. octobotimus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    The wet stuff I think was some sort of lubricant, but it was on the inside of the torso so I had to wipe that off the roof as well. I used a hair dryer (on cool) to help air out the figure and he’s currently sitting in truck mode next to my open window. Hopefully it’ll be less chippy and wet feeling after sitting next to the window.

• Like Like x 1
  11. langames

langames Banned

Yeah, but may I ask if you prefer BS03 or challenger?
    For me,I take the KO over challenger for the shit scale that Unique toys gave us, now that its upscaled, it will scale with dragoon I think.
    P.S. Show z made a mistake, its upscaled and not same height

• Like Like x 1
  12. VVa

VVa If you don't Booyah back I want you dead.

Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Honestly BS-03 just takes the genius of UT Challenger and makes it better. Better paint, sculpt detailing, and sure it parts-forms a bit now, but I'm pretty sure anyone who's buying BS-03 isn't buying it for the truck mode. Though the Western Star 5700 still is gorgeous

• Like Like x 3
  13. octobotimus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Don’t own Challenger, it was either this guy or challenger. Honestly the paint chipping and shoulders make me want to get challenger and sell this guy. But I need more time with him.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Catalyst1945

Catalyst1945 Well-Known Member

Instagram:
    Just got the newest version of Challenger myself. Still waiting for my BS-03 to leave Sydney but it’ll be interesting to compare the quality of plastic. Not surprised that Black Mamba KO’ing it resulted in a quality drop.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Megawillbot

Megawillbot Well-Known Member

You've gotten quite a few of the recent BMB releases...

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
  16. octobotimus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Yep, and so far only sentinel has been solid, while the other have been rather meh…. Honestly should stop buying their figures, they aren’t that good.

• Like Like x 1
  17. skywarp-2

Ebay:
    I totally need BMB Sentinel Prime

• Like Like x 2
  18. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Very nice! Seriously considering doing my gunmetal then dry brush silver approach on this guy.

• Like Like x 2
  19. EPiiCxPrime

EPiiCxPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    BMB: “Unique Toys have asked us to play by their rules….well….the rules have just changed!”

Happy to say ANOTHER perfect order from Wish Toy Store on AliExpress (Seriously recommend them for anyone who might be looking for a good seller) no damage to the box or the figure inside. No damage to either of the Head’s and I’ve just slightly loosened the screws on his shoulders. Put the LED’s on and damn boy this is one big beautiful boy.
    A47E0596-A51C-4CEE-8E96-18F718447EBE.jpeg 9F343FC2-C2A4-434F-B623-51D6A49A0120.jpeg 77132501-FBF1-4600-84B4-31AB6C4DF7DF.jpeg 666FDF7B-55EA-4941-A6C8-9512FCCB07E4.jpeg

• Like Like x 6
  20. Shmoptimus Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    I use rustoleum semi-gloss clear sometimes but there are probably better ones. Sometimes it causes a bit of the ink wash to run but it usually actually makes it look cooler.
    Thanks! Here is more of the finished product:

IMG_6903.jpg
    Excellent! Glad yours wasn't broken!
    Agreed. Although I haven't even been using the hip fillers as they're a bit of a pain and he's just fine. If you flip the ass panels up like I mentioned it fills in the "gap" so that you don't see to the other side.
    Try a clear coat.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2022
    • Like Like x 12