Minor/Repaint: BMB KO OS PotP Dinobots

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by ErickCruz, Apr 4, 2020.

1. ErickCruz

ErickCruz Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Hey everyone!
    So in this thread I'll be posting pics of the repaints and touch-ups as I progress on these figures.

Here, in this first set, I'll start of with "The King"
    [​IMG]
    So this is how I primarily display him, with the sword resting on his shoulder, feet "extensions" using the Hasbro versions, which are touched up in gun metal gray and gold and the OS combiner fist as a gauntlet on his forearm, also painted in gun metal and gold (except for the fingers)

[​IMG]
    Close up of the lower body. Here you can see how I painted the crotch red (originally black) as well as the hips. I also swapped out the knee ratchets from the the red OS version that were black onto this figure (originally red) to have uniform all black look for the legs. I'm still pondering to paint the parts that look like vents on the hips silver like on many MPs of Grimlock have. The lower legs have the blue/red/green accents that are a trademark of the character. While the Hasbro version had the stickers on the inner most portion of the shins to represent the colors, I opted to paint the plates. I also painted the ridges on the original toes gun metal. On the Hasbro version I painted that area gold but I wanted to try different combinations on this version. And another look at the painted combiner feet. Those are plugged into custom clay epoxy molds I shaped into connectors.

[​IMG]
    Close up of some painted details. The dino arms are painted in an aluminum color in an attempt to match the chrome of the original G1 figures. While the replacement knee ratchets were black, they were like a 70% black, i used spray paint to paint flat black but as you can see it's flaking off, so that'll need a touch up soon.

[​IMG]
    Another pic to show more painted detail, there are still more details left to go in and paint. Here you see I painted Grimlock's sword. I did different paint schemes for the swords that came in my set (3) that you will see as I post the pics of the other figures. The blade is painted silver.
    [​IMG]
    So as you can see, my Grimlock has the blue visor (and in case you have spotted the dino head in some pics, it still has the red eyes, i had forgotten i hadnt painted them, those will also be painted blue)
    However....
    [​IMG]
    Since I had a spare head from the red OS version, I used that head to keep the red visor plus painted the mouthplate and brim in gunmetal like other MPs
    [​IMG]
    And we can mix n match the faces
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And now, dinomode!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Teeth are painted silver. And as mentioned before the dino-eyes will be painted blue.

[​IMG]
    The tip of the tail is also painted in aluminum, to mimic the chrome of the G1 figs, and a look at the new back accessories.

[​IMG]
    In case you havent noticed, I removed what was the Volcanicus crotch plate that would store in Grimlock's butt and above the tail in dino mode. So to cover up the gap I used one of the combiner fists. There's a screwhole that the plate covered up, I had to enlarge it a bit in order for the port on the fist to plug-in in dino mode. Once that was settled the look of the figure was "off", so i just placed one of the combiner feet over his back to complete the look.
    [​IMG]
    In this side profile shot you can see how the new accessories look, I think it solves the "flat back" issue some complained about the original Hasbro design and gives Grimlock a more bulky/menacing look.
    And here's a look from the top
    [​IMG]
    I did my best to give it a seamless color transition to match the figure's color scheme.
    [​IMG]

So there he is, so far. Like I said there are still some details that need attention.
    One of the things im thinking of doing, since these wont combine, is to remove the tabs that hang from his shoulders. When you rotate the arm those tabs get in the way of the wings if they're spread out.
    At first, when i remove that plate that hung from his butt the figure looked awkward, but now after having the figure like this for a while now it looks normal to me now.
    [​IMG]

Stay tuned for more pics!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
    • Like Like x 13
  2. ErickCruz

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Update 1
    Removed the tabs from the shoulders
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I used a chisel to score the tabs that hook up (the ones with the two molded dimples) and then used pliers to break off. Then used an x-acto knife to score the remaining portion of the tab that sticks out from the shoulders and again used pliers to break off. Then used some diamond needle files to reshape and 2000 grit wet sandpaper to soften the edges.
    [​IMG]
    Now the tabs dont get in the way of the wings when you rotate the arms around.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After everything there's still visible stress marks
    [​IMG]

But after applying acrylic gun metal gray paint, it's like the tabs were never there.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  3. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Looking good!
    This is honestly the only time I was ever tempted to get some KO's.

4. ErickCruz

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Long overdue update!!!
    To continue with the set, up next is Sludge:
    [​IMG]
    He looks to have "dead eyes" but actually...
    [​IMG]
    He does have blue metallic eyes, same color as the other blue metallic painted details throughout the figure.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    As far as paint scheme, Sludge shares a similar look to Grimlock, mainly because of the wings, so for a "uniform" look his leg details share the same trifecta of the blue/red/green painted detail, only in different order, Sludge's are red/blue/green.
    Below you'll see I added paint to the inside of the lower leg, I used gun metal gray to go a shade darker than on the plastic, and added blue to a panel.
    [​IMG]
    I also painted the bottom of the foot
    [​IMG]

For the head, Sludge had a silver "mohawk" that went from the front crest and stopped at the midpoint where the head is split in half, wasnt sure if i wanted to paint the entire mohawk all the way to the back so i painted over the mohawk and only kept the crest silver.
    [​IMG]

There are some areas I painted in metallic red, like on the back shown here
    [​IMG]
    and on the sides behind the shoulder and by the ribcage area
    [​IMG]

And now some dino mode pics
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Change the eye color from red to blue and painted the teeth silver
    [​IMG]
    the tail, just like Grimlock, painted with metallic aluminum to mimic the chrome of the original G1 toys
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    There are still more areas of opportunity to go in and add more paint, like the neck for instance, but if i kept the figure as is he'd pretty much be finished.
    [​IMG]

Thanks for watching!

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
    • Like Like x 6
  5. ErickCruz

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Update#2 on Grimlock
    painted the portion of the hips that have the vents, not sure how else to call 'em. Only took a pic of the front but the back is also painted
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  6. POSSESSED_DIGIT

POSSESSED_DIGIT WE ARE NUBBY THUMB!!

News Credits:
    Looks nice!

tip about stress marks - use a hair dryer or heat gun. They vanish. Just don’t overheat the plastic and melt it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. primalxconvoy

primalxconvoy Banned

News Credits:
    Nice. Are you going to paint part of Grimlock's chest black/a dark colour (to represent the clear, dark plastic of the chest on the original figure)?

ZomboDroid 27042020045459.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  8. ErickCruz

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I hadn't thought about that. I was thinking how I could replicate the clear plastic over the gold chest like the Hasbro version. I was thinking maybe a clear coat or maybe Future could do the trick. For that particular brown piece, I'd need some transparent brown paint, I haven't checked if the local art store is open to see if they have any. Normally I'd go to Michaels or Hobby Lobby but border is closed to non US residents or those without work visas (I'm in Tijuana across the border from San Diego)

9. POSSESSED_DIGIT

News Credits:
    How’s the quality on the OSKO Dinos? Plastic, engineering, etc? Durable? Tight? Everything lock in well and line up properly?

10. primalxconvoy

primalxconvoy Banned

News Credits:

There's a paint in Japan called "Clear Smoke". I'm not sure if this is the exact one I used, and I'm not sure if it will create the effect you're looking for (as it's been a while since I've used mine), but it might work:

- https://www.amazon.com/Tamiya-81019-Acrylic-X19-Smoke/dp/B0006O521W

Otherwise, some form of black/dark varnish might work?

11. ErickCruz

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    there's a dedicated thread about it in the 3rd party area, you can check everyone's different experiences with the set
    KO OS POTP dinobots
    on my end, i had to order a replacement leg for Grimlock as the plastic around the screws was stripping away preventing from tightening the pieces. Since i dont have the figures in combined mode i can attest to any long term effects like failing ratchets and whatnot.

12. POSSESSED_DIGIT

News Credits:
    Thanks. I’ll check that out...

13. ErickCruz

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Massive update!

Got more pics to share of the Dinobots as well as updates on Grimlock.
    First up in this post, Swoop!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So here's a rundown of what was worked on. In the above photos you can see i painted his head red with a black "brow" which I had painted red and intended to leave that way, however after researching more about the character i decided to give hm the black brow. Repainted the eyes in metallic blue, I painted the shoulders in gun metal and added the metallic blue accents.
    The wings were painted in aluminum with spot details added.
    [​IMG]

close up of the front of the wing
    [​IMG]

and the back
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The big change that i made is I gave Swoop the blue shorts. I did my best match the color of the blue plastic, but the shade is a tad lighter
    [​IMG]
    painted the piping around the abdomen silver

[​IMG]
    Also added the gold trim to the thighs front and back, and added some silvel detail to the shins/dino legs
    [​IMG]

The red that goes down the sides was painted in metallic red, painted the upper detail of the feet metallic blue and added some gunmetal gray to spot areas.
    [​IMG]

And now some alt mode pics
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The sword was painted with a black hilt with silver blade. for the hilt I used clear nail polish as a finish, it would take some paint with it while applying it, you can see there's a portion of the clear red plastic showing through on the large circle, I might just remove the paint in that area to leave a clear red "gem" on the hilt
    [​IMG]
    And that's pretty much it for Swoop. Other than the blue shorts and wings nothing too drastic was changed. There's one more thing im thinking of doing, but i'll show you guys later when i post my next Grimlock update, see you in a bit!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  14. ErickCruz

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Up next, Snarl!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Snarl has a couple mods done to him. One is more apparent than the other. See if you can spot them before i show you.
    First some shots of the painted details
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Much like Sludge, Snarl had a half silver mohawk painted on, I painted over that to just leave the front crest silver
    [​IMG]

So, have you spotted the mods? If you noticed the abdomen/combiner port as one of them you get a no-prize!
    [​IMG]

So i had a spare combiner port left over (when I get to Slag you'll see why) And it was bugging me that the port was too short and there was a gap left between the bottom of the port and the red plastic. So i painted it red using auto paint and with the spare port i cut a piece off, also painted it red and just tucked it in there to fill the gap. Its in there pretty snug but not tight, in case for whatever reason i need to remove the port it can be pushed out, but now it looks like its one piece and gives him a full set of abs.

The second mod is also to the combiner port, but up top.
    I dont know if the Hasbro figure was the same but on this one the panel on which the head is on wasnt completely flush with the top of the shoulders, so it bothered me that it looked like the head was always slightly looking up, so i carved out a little shelf on the top of the combiner port so that everything was on the same plane.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now you can see in the pic below how everything is on the same level
    [​IMG]

dino pic!
    [​IMG]
    If i get a second set, besides getting it to paint a red Swoop, I'd also want to paint a version of Snarl with the backside in all red as well.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Four down one to go!
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  15. ErickCruz

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    And now we have come to the final member of the team, Slag!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wasnt getting the best natural lighting going, so it isnt showing well, but the arm got lots of gun metal paint, I left the round portion of the shoulder alone but everything around it got paint going down to the bicep and the forearm
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the inside of the toe was painted gold
    [​IMG]

So as I mentioned in the Snarl post, I had an spare combiner port that i said came from Slag, the reason for that is that I removed it in order to give Slag...
    [​IMG]
    Abs!
    [​IMG]

I had posted this mod in the KO thread in the 3P section of the forum but to recap, I took the cover that came with the fists, measured, saw that i need to make the opening slightly larger so using needle files I removed plastic as needed, I also cut an angle to the back of the tab that sticks out so that it can rest flush with the port, added some super glue and that's it.

Dino pics!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Painted the gun silver to match the G1 toy

And that's it! let me know what you think!

There's still one Grimlock update pending...

• Like Like x 3
  16. POSSESSED_DIGIT

News Credits:
    These look really nice. But I have no idea what they looked like beforehand. From what I see your painting is very clean and looks stock!

where can I go about getting these? I’ve seen a few sets on eBay, but I have no idea if they are regular sized or oversized. And the prices are all over the place. I don’t know if there’s KOs of KOs, or if they’re just 1 gig instead of all 5 or 6.
    My kid wants a set of the PotP dinobots. But I thought getting the oversized versions would be a good way to check them out.

17. ErickCruz

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I got my set from ShowZ. With eBay sellers you have to look out for the ones that sell both the OS and the 1:1 KOs which have confused many. ShowZ isn't that more expensive than eBay prices but it's a secure purchase.

• Like Like x 1
  18. POSSESSED_DIGIT

News Credits:
    Thanks!
    Any idea where they’re located? And what they charge for shipping?

19. ErickCruz

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    China
    Show.Z Store

they have an entire thread in the 3rd party section of the forum, you can ask what their current shipping situation is like given the current climate with the virus.