Blaster and Rewind

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Rexidus, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    I'm curious, why does it seem Rewind has no connection to Blaster? It just strikes me as a little unexpected. This would be like learning that Ravage was completely unaffiliated with Soundwave. Rewind was introduced with and is always tied to Blaster. In #12, when Chromedome said he was #2 on the list, I expected Blaster to be #1 honestly.

2. Kraken

Kraken Is a vegiesaurus, Lex. Veteran

News Credits:
    Blaster has appeared several times in IDW though and has never been seen with any of his 'minions' where-as Soundwave has his with him constantly. I like that the Autobot tapes are more autonomous, although I can see why you and others would think it's a bit weird. In the context of the IDW-verse it would be more weird if Blaster suddenly acquired his minions from no-where.

It was great to see Steeljaw taking on giant Overkill as well!

3. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No biggie, Blaster never had minions in US Marvel or for season 2 of the TV series. They've never been seen to as much as exchange words in IDW. Even in season 23 they seemed pretty independent of him.

And as a matter of fact, in US Marvel Ravage had no visible association with Soundwave, and Ratbat only showed up as his boss. The only time they did the chest compartment trick was for Soundwave to sneak himself and Laserbeak into a factory. In IDW Ravage and Laserbeak have a sort of long-term partnership with Soundwave, and Rumble and Frenzy are either vaguely associated with him or completely codependent on him, depending on who's writing that week.

4. Anguirus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No biggie, Blaster never had minions in US Marvel or for season 2 of the TV series. They've never been seen to as much as exchange words in IDW. Even in season 3 they seemed pretty independent of him.

And as a matter of fact, in US Marvel Ravage had no visible association with Soundwave, and Ratbat only showed up as his boss. The only time they did the chest compartment trick was for Soundwave to sneak himself and Laserbeak into a factory. In IDW Ravage and Laserbeak have a sort of long-term partnership with Soundwave, and Rumble and Frenzy are either vaguely associated with him or completely codependent on him, depending on who's writing that week.

5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Blaster's minions have never been as big a deal as Soundwave's. 50% of Soundwave's popularity revolves around his little buddies, but Blaster isn't nearly as popular nor have his minions been so essential. It seems someone's finally taking advantage of that fact to develop one of said gimmick-bots to be more than just a trick Blaster ripped off from Soundwave, so to speak.

6. jrs1976

jrs1976 Member

I think Im right in saying that in IDW continuity Rumble and Frenzy were introduced in Megatron Origiin where they (and Ratbat) were modified to fit inside Soundwave (who was also modified to accomodate them)?

From that can assume Laserbeak, Ravage etc were modified to hide inside Soundwave at somepoint between M:O and Spotlight Soundwave?

Whereas Rewind is the only Autobot 'tape' shown in recent times in IDW, and in this continuity turns into a memory stick or similar, whereas Blaster was introduced early on and turns into a vehicle that can't accomodate other transformers the only time he's transformed, not the tape drive in other continuties. For that matter, in the Marvel US comics Blaster is never shown hanging around with Rewind, Eject, SteelJaw etc.

So, in IDW Blaster is never shown to be able to have Rewind (or anyone else) inside him, or to have any relationship with Rewind or any other tape, so it's no suprise that they have no connection (so far - wouldn't put it past Mr Roberts for a future storyline to require modifications to both for a mission!).

7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Steeljaw was chompin' on Overkill in issue 12, so he's around in recent times. But yeah, I agree.

8. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    I feel as though the fact that Steeljaw is also present on the Lost Light isn't a coincidence. Maybe it'll be explored later? I personally would like a connection established.

9. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    I guess I just have the two as connected as Soundwave and his minions. My primary memory of Eject prior to MTMTE is from the 86 movie when Blaster deploys them all.

10. 1984forever

1984forever Banned

Rewind is nowhere near Blaster because James Roberts is an honorary G1 season 3 writer. In s3, random members of teams were thrown together into pairings that were more odd than a jelly and Swiss cheese hero. Most writers know that members of special teams tend to hang around each other... except the writers at IDW. Insecticons hung around Insecticons, Dinobots with Dinobots, Constructicons with Constructions etc. At this point I feel that Roberts should just go all out and install a tape deck into Chromedome's chest.

11. rattimus prime

rattimus prime Scout Class Prime

i think that only steel jaw is possibly one of blasters cassettes, back in megatron origins it seemed like Soundwave had both the birds, ravage, and squawkbox as his minions. it seems like taking in the newly learned social caste, they are disposables and are soundwaves "slaves" since they turn into small inanimate objects, since it was shown in RID that ravage can speak.

12. Anguirus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Funny, I always read that the Stunticons fear and despise each other. The origin of Menasor in IDW seems to pay homage to this, where Swindle basically forges five convenient Decepticons into one to kill Ultra Magnus et al.

Also in IDW, the Aerialbots are clearly a tight-knit unit. Ditto the Constructicons, and the Monsters. They aren't combiners (not that that stops you since this started off about the cassette-bots) but this is also true of the Dinobots. The Predacons and the Terrorcons also tend to be depicted together, and we just met the Seacons as all part of the same unit. The Technobots were introduced to us as a single scientific team, though they seem to have split up since.

However, one area in which IDW is distinguished from other G1 fiction is that every toy is a character, but every gimmick is simply a piece of technology. That's why Sunstreaker became a Headmaster, and why Kup became a Pretender. The gimmick doesn't have to match the toy.

In particular, not only does Defensor not exist, there's no evidence that the Protectobots exist as a unit. Since we grant freedom for different events to occur in different G1 continuities, all we are asked to accept is that certain events, such as the wide application of combiner technology, the banding-together of the Protectobots, and the association of Rewind and Steeljaw with Blaster, didn't ever happen. (Yet?)

13. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    Or have Rewind become Chromedome's head.

14. 1984forever

1984forever Banned

The IDW Dinobots, Technobots and Terrorcons have made more appearances apart than as a unit. There were only 4 Predacons for an entire story arc and we never saw the Seacons together. IDW also seems to have an obsession with killing off individual members of combiner teams. These teams are split up for the exact same reason Rewind is not with Blaster... either the writers never had a complete set of any team as kids and they're still pissed about it, or they don't give a shit. The only way Blaster and Rewind will be together in the IDW universe is over Chromedome's dead body.

15. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    N-not... DEFYING CONVENTION? Oh shit no the world is going to end if we dont have everything be just like it was thirty years ago for extremely blinkered fans instead of trying new experimental things that are giving us whats widely being acknowledged as the best transformers comics ever noo noooo NOOOO

16. 1984forever

1984forever Banned

You know what? You're right. In the spirit of keeping things fresh and new, I would like to expand upon Bass xo's suggestion. I want to start a petition for Roberts to put Rewind through the Headmaster process... with CHROMEDOME becoming Rewind's head and Blaster being modified to eject both of them from his crotch. But on second thought, why bother? Roberts will probably go in this direction on his own.

17. jackgaughan

jackgaughan Internet Soldier

News Credits:
    Of course he will, and I'll give you a lil' inside scoop on why he's gonna do this... it's his comic. Now, shhh, don't tell anyone, ok?

18. 1984forever

1984forever Banned

Yeah, but it's mine and every other kid who bought Transformers in 1984 whose characters he is playing with. If it wasn't for us, the rest of the world wouldn't think Transformers were so hot. Our parents spoke with their dollars (and some with their fists) in the crowded shopping malls leading up to Christmas '84. The execs and Roberts from '85 on have shown little respect for this franchise, most notably the union between Chromedome and Rewind! Where in either one of their tech specs did it say that they had a Conjunx Endura? There is no mention of either one in each other's tech specs at all! Rewind was BUILT to go with Blaster. This fact along with many others has been disregarded by IDW!

19. Maximo Prime

Maximo Prime Bassist of Ill Repute

Ebay:
    how can you say that stuff and keep a straight face... i am DYING over here :lolol 

20. MECHADOOM

MECHADOOM I'm Doombot and I know it

I've got a feeling that, as a comunications expert, Blaster is equipped to play/read the type of data memory stick that Rewind turns into in this continnuity. As for why we never see Blaster and Rewind together, I've wondered this myself. In my mind, untill they say otherwise, Blaster is kinda like Rewind's father. Perhaps they had a falling out. maybe over the strange obsession Rewind has with footage of Transformers dying? If you found out your "son" was obsessed with snuff films, wouldn't it be weird?

Last edited: Dec 22, 2012