Blade Runner 2049

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by OmegaPrime22, May 31, 2013.

1. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

Maybe he liked his robo-camera drone bots better than he liked his natural eyes?

Damn, ninja'd.

2. Galvatross

Galvatross Dom Dom, Yes Yes Veteran

Watched this yesterday for the first time. Definitely liked it and found it interesting. It had its own distinctive feel tonally and visually. It had breathing room. It toyed with fascinating concepts.

A couple thoughts. First, I didn't think Leto's character, while well executed when on screen, was really given enough to do.

Second, while I liked it for sure, I can also see why general audience members wouldn't come out in droves to see this. It would be very easy for the average audience member to get weirded out by this film. I mean I love weird science fiction stuff, and even I found there to be some moments that weirded me out. That's not a criticism - I thought the movie did about as good of a job realistically with handling those weird moments as it could have - so much as an observation that this is a movie many normal people I know probably wouldn't enjoy.

• Like Like x 5
  3. Mark

Mark Just here for the toys

Ebay:
    Flickr:
    Totally agree. I liked this film a lot. But (as I think I said before) I can’t understand how any studio thought they would have made money after giving it a $240 million (or whatever) budget.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

R rated, slow paced, expensive, only has a couple of short action scenes. It’s a miracle any studio funded this movie. There’s just no reality where I could see it making its budget back. If anything, WB probably hoped they could make a major awards push to establish pedigree. There’s tons of shows on TV that would probably be canceled due to lower ratings if they didn’t earn the network Emmy awards. Maybe the same thing happened here. I’m glad it was made though. You just don’t see movies like that too often, and I actually liked it more than the original Blade Runner.

• Like Like x 3
  5. electronic456

electronic456 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The original Blade Runner is still on top of my all-time favourite movies. It's one of those movies that as soon as I finished I wanted to learn more about the world around it and the replicants. It's also why I think sci-fi is my favourite genre, sci-fi is not just about cool starships and lasers and such. It's also about thinking about the possibilities of the future.

I admit, I haven't got around to seeing it yet but I'm excited to know if this is truly a needed sequel. That being said, a shame that the sequel didn't perform well albeit on a larger budget. Kind of shows that marketability has its importance as much as being a good movie as well.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mark

Ebay:
    Flickr:
    So Blade Runner is your favorite movie and you haven’t seen 2049 yet? This film never had a prayer.

7. electronic456

electronic456 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Like I said, I've been meaning to. Only time will tell. :) 

8. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    I waited a long time before seeing the movie because I was afraid Ford didn't like his character.

Long movie.
    Slow movie.
    Pretty movie.
    Pretty boring movie.
    Didn't like Leto or his character. I don't even remember how he took over the Tyrel corp.
    I feel that Blade Runner's story was all wrapped up, and this was a long and expensive episode of ' Where are they now?'.

While I might think that a return to this story is largely unnecessary, I don't think a return to this world is.

9. seanlockyer

seanlockyer Professional Cat Herder & Ancient Alien Theorist.

Ebay:
    The movie was an acquired taste. A lot like David Lynch's Dune.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Mark

Ebay:
    Flickr:
    I'm trying to remember why it was R rated. The scene with Leto's character and the naked replicant, I guess? Anyway this movie could very easily have been PG-13, but I'm not sure that would have really helped it's box office all that much.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Galvatross

Galvatross Dom Dom, Yes Yes Veteran

Yeah, plus the giant naked Joi advertisement. Either way, I'd agree that it wouldn't help the box office much.

12. seanlockyer

seanlockyer Professional Cat Herder & Ancient Alien Theorist.

Ebay:
    Maybe for street cred ? Look at Fury Road. I was surprised that got an R rating.

• Like Like x 1
  13. ShinGi

ShinGi Well-Known Member

Probably because the previous movie in the franchise were R as well and they wanted to keep that

14. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

I keep forgetting Fury Road got an R. The most violent thing in the movie is Immortan Joe’s death, but I’ve seen PG and PG-13 movies with far more brutal deaths. The nudity was pretty PG-13, brief, and non-sexual too. I don’t remember a single swear word being uttered in the movie let alone any f-bombs. Honestly, Titanic is a harder R than Fury Road, and that was a PG-13 movie.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Wolfguard

Wolfguard Your own personal Jesus.

Saw this article the other day. We're just a few months shy of 2019, and we're on the verge of manufacturing life with a mouse embryo "replicant" made from stem cells:

Cambridge University scientists create artificial embryo from stem cells

"It is real?"