Black Mirror [Netflix Anthology Series]

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Coffee, Nov 11, 2016.

1. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

Yeah, we watched it last night and eventually got to the same ending.

Overall, I think this episode was pretty neat, but far from my favorite Black Mirror episodes. I guess I just like shows to be shows, and games (choose your own adventure) to be games.

I definitely recommend anyone to choose the “Netflix” option when it pops up, along with the crazier options in the shrink’s office — it’s a fun little departure from all the gloom

• Like Like x 2
  2. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I tried to watch it on Friday, but I couldn't Chromecast it so had to watch it on my tablet....and I fell asleep.

I'll give it another shot since I love this show. but it's harder for me to watch it on my phone. I can't download it either for the subway/train.

3. Predakwon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  4. SaberPrime

SaberPrime System Pride

So I was messing around with Bandersnatch today...

Things I liked: It seems even insignificant decisions have small effects on the story. Like the first decision is just what do you want for Breakfast and I noticed my cereal of choice kept popping up in the background of other scenes. It's not immediately obvious what this does or how it effects anything else but the more I get into the story the more often it would appear.

I was expecting that when you're forced to start over that all your previous choices would be entirely undone however that's not entirely the case. Sephan actually seems to remember events from your previous choices even though time has been reset. He's not the only one though, another character also seems to remember previous time lines... for example the first time time reset he was the one who literally tells you that you made the wrong choice. Before that though when Stephan is pitching the idea for a Bandersnatch game based on the book this other character says that he never read the book. Once time resets suddenly he has read it. This seemed weird at first but later on he ends up also directly telling Stephan that he's being controlled. After that he kills himself and I haven't seen him again since even though time has reset to a point where he should still be alive that character hasn't made a come back.

There's a part where Stephan asks who's controlling him and one of the options says Netflix. At which point you get a pretty funny scene where you're trying to explain what Netflix is to Stephan. The show appears to be set in the 80's judging by the fact they think 8 bit pixels are impressive graphics for a video game. So just imagine you're a time traveler trying to explain what Netflix is to someone from the 80's.

Things I didn't like: There are some really dark scenes in this... there's a suicide, a murder, some monsters... and yet at the same time there are some silly scenes like the one I mentioned before trying to explain what Netflix is. Dark Humor is one thing but this can do a compete shift from a serious drama to a comedy at the drop of hat. The constant shifts in tone are kind of destracting. I can't tell if this is suppose to be a comedy with R rated elements like Deadpool or if they had no clue what this show was suppose to be.

There were a couple times where I don't even know why the choice screen came up because you only had a single option. It seemed like a yes or no should of been there but the only option on the screen was no.

As interesting as it is having the character be able to remember past time lines... what if I want to start over fresh with a brand new adventure. How am I suppose to do that when there doesn't appear to be any way to start over from the very beginning with no memory of the choices you've already made?

I had been messing with it for about two hours and never reached an ending. It just kept going to another time line reset and continuing on. I had to just stop because there wasn't really a good point where there was any kind of real ending.

Things I'm still confused about: Besides being an easer egg in a few scenes later on is the breakfast cereal thing ever going to play into the story?

Exactly how are certain characters able to remember previous time lines?

That one guy killed himself believing that he would just respawn when the timeline reset but that doesn't appear to happen. Yet he seemed to be right about everything else. So I want to believe that he really could come back at some point. I thought he was going to be a terrible character at first but now I'd much rather know more about his story than Stephan's.

Some decisions don't always have an immediate effect on the story. Some times you instantly see the effect of the choice other times it won't mean anything till Stephan brings it up again several scenes later.

Why do some characters turn into monsters right before time resets? Also speaking of monsters there's a sketch in a book that I think looks like Ryuk from Death Note.

Now I'm trying to be a little vague here so as not to give away spoilers. You'll know who I'm talking about once you've seen him even though I haven't named him... or you won't know what the hell I'm talking about because maybe you chose a different path than I did. Notice I never stated what choices I've made so your experience may be entirely different from mine. And you have no idea how to replicate what I did. If you want spoilers or would like to know exactly how I got the results that I did you can PM me.

• Like Like x 1
  5. SaberPrime

SaberPrime System Pride

Update...

Turns out I was one scene away from an actual ending...

Also started over from the beginning and it didn't seem as good the second time around. Choose your own adventure stories are suppose to be a completely different and unique experience almost every time but after only one time I'm already bored? I tried different choices this time but they never made much of a difference... all I got was one extra scene with a certain character because he didn't die this time. There's still for some reason a clip of him asking if we've met before despite the fact I never got that reset this time. A lot of other scenes are ones I've seen before just playing in a different order this time. He still mentions biting his nails even though I didn't pick that option this time. I think it's because there's only two choices each time so there aren't that many divergent paths.

There really should be a lot more options if they ever do something like this again.

6. ABH1979

June 5th -- can't wait!

• Like Like x 2
  7. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Love the series, can't wait for a new season.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Predakwon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Same here, can't wait.

9. sifu74

sifu74 Well-Known Member

So only 3 new episodes, is he running out of ideas already?

10. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    *hype*

11. inturnmike

inturnmike Well-Known Member

awwe only 3 episodes???

12. Incepticon

Incepticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Heh, only 2 for me... because I won't be watching anything with that tool Miley Cyrus of all people inexplicably being put front and center.

Other than that fumble, I'm hyped for the other ones. Some great actors in there.

13. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:

14. ABH1979

Well I'm going to watch all 3, but I'm mostly interested in Smithereens and Striking Vipers.

15. ABH1979

Watched the first two so far...

Striking Vipers was, uh, interesting, but not up to the quality I expect from Black Mirror. Smithereens was much better, I thought — less dark-near-future and more dark-right-fucking-now.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

Striking(Fighting) Vipers was definitely interesting not typical Black mirror Fare though
    Smitereens was much more typical of Black Mirror but like ABH said it was now rather than far future
    The last episode had the kind of hijinks that feel inappropriate for Black Mirror but the larger concepts at play were right at home.
    I liked these episodes enough but did not love them.

• Like Like x 1
  17. ABH1979

Yeah, we eventually watched the Rachel, Jack, and Ashley Too episode, and I wasn't impressed. A large part of it felt like a Disney Channel or Nickelodeon show, and that's not just because it starred "Hannah Montana". It had some really childish sci-fi -- why would the Ashley Too, a product for consumers, have a full copy of the real Ashley's personality, that could be accessed by two teenagers using their Dad's mouse-trap-tech computer? That's not smart sci-fi, and it's the same issue I had with Striking Vipers -- why would the developers of a fighting game, even make intercourse an option in the game?

So yeah, again, the only one that's worth watching is Smithereens.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Predakwon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I thought all these eps were "meh". Not bad per se, but it didn't have me engaged or interested like previous eps.

Striking Vipers brings up the talking point about what's "cheating".
    Smithereens was ok. Like that the ending was vague.
    Ashley, meh. Miley Cyrus wasn't bad, but I just didn't care for it.

• Like Like x 2
  19. gregles

gregles quintesson

Finally got around to watching this season and here are my thoughts.

Episode one striking vipers was an instant classic to me as it was a great and thought provoking idea destined to inspire many interesting discussions around gender and sexuality whilst also being an entertaining and brilliantly acted piece of fiction. Sure some aspects could have been pushed further but it did what it set out to do effortlessly.

Episode two smithereens despite being a competent bit of storytelling felt really underwhelming to me as it didn’t really tell us anything insightful or interesting about technology that everyone didn’t already know as I felt like muttering the phrase ‘no sh#t Sherlock’ when the themes of internet companies being ruthless, manipulative and making their tech addictive was revealed. If had a better twist it could have been a great episode.

The third episode was felt way more black mirror and better than the second episode as technology working with pop culture to ruthlessly edit out the inconvenient human side of the creative process was a great theme but to me the ending felt way too positive as it started to seem too light hearted with a bunch of misfit teenagers going on their crazy plot armour fuelled adventures which felt a bit un-black mirror by the time they was forming an edgy covers band. I personally would have changed the ending so that when that Ashlee too doll pulled the plug on the real Ashlee’s life support machine it killed her and the girls was arrested for her assisted suicide/manslaughter/murder/unethical euthanasia. I think that would have been way more interesting as it would have drawn some interesting and original parallels with the Frankenstein monster killing it’s creator (sort of) and it would have been suitably bleak and brutal the teenagers getting falsely portrayed and vilified as toxic fan-girls becoming deadly to the public who judges them harshly whilst the nasty aunt continues pushing forward with the Ashlee forever think using the hacked Ashlee too brain. Maybe Its just me that has issues I need to deal with as I am becoming too bleak for black mirror.

Sadly it felt like a mixed bag for me and with only 3 issues they can’t afford that as they need every one to be a banger. Hopefully next time they will be a bit more consistent. At least the new killing Eve episodes are as brilliant as ever or at least her clothes are on point so television is all about let downs in 2019 :) 

• Like Like x 1
  20. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Got all three of them watched now. None of them would break into my personal Top 5 episodes of the series, but I did find all of them either thought-provoking (Striking Vipers), tense and perspicacious (Smithereens), or just entertaining and fun (Rachel, Jack and Ashley Too), and I don't think any of them would sink low enough to break into my personal Bottom 5 either.