Black Mirror [Netflix Anthology Series]

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Coffee, Nov 11, 2016.

1. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    Didn't see a thread for this. Been watching Series 3 on Netflix and it's fucking insane. Anyone else been following it?

2. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I watch it. I love it. "Fifteen Million Merits" from the first series blew my f*cking MIND the first time I saw it.

I've actually only watched the first three episodes of series three. The second two episodes I found really bleak and depressing (not bad, they just made me feel a bit empty). I may take in the fourth episode tomorrow.

3. zappatton2

zappatton2 Well-Known Member

I really love this series! I know a lot of people don't like the third season as much as the first two, but I really thought it was just as good. I hope they go for a fourth.

4. Ikkstakk

News Credits:
    I might have counted myself there too, "Playtest" and "Shut Up And Dance" didn't really do anything for me... but yesterday I watched "San Junipero" and man... might be the best episode of the entire series. So happy and so sad at the same time.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

I just started the show last night. Does it get better after the first episode because I really didn't like it? I love sci-fi anthology shows, so I really want to love this too.

6. Ikkstakk

News Credits:
    That first episode is pretty grounded in our current reality, there isn't anything too fantastical about it. The second episode is a totally alternate reality and I cannot recommend it enough, I was on the edge of my seat as it built to the climax. And none of the episodes are interconnected, so I'd say watch a few more before you decide.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ikkstakk

News Credits:
    Finished Season 3 today. LOVED IT. "Men Against Fire," once I realized what was going on, was absolutely chilling, I wanted to throw up when it was over. "Hated in the Nation," very good as well, almost felt like an X-Files episode. Now begins the wait for Season 4...

8. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Late to the game. Just started this show last week and on Season 3.

Where has this show been all my life? What a fantastic show!

• Like Like x 1
  9. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

Yeah, my wife and I got into this really late too -- we binged all 3 seasons last year.

Also happy to see "San Junipero" get so much love from the Emmys last night.

10. Ikkstakk

News Credits:
    Well deserved wins, very happy to see the show get recognition.

About a month to go before Season 4, yes?

11. Ikkstakk

News Credits:
    Finally, a release date! Friday December 29! I wonder if the wife will protest if I suggest binge-watching this New Year's Eve instead of going out...?

• Like Like x 1
  12. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

So we just fished up Season 4 over the last few days, and I would say my favorites (in order) were:

1 - USS Callister
    3 - Crocodile
    6 - Black Museum
    4 - Hang the DJ

And least favorites:

2 - Arkangel
    5 - Metalhead

USS Callister - certainly a dark concept, but I did appreciate the moments of humor, like the alien monster on the planet originally being one of the other office copies, or just the way everyone would break character when the captain wasn't around. I do think they screwed up one thing though -- when the crew was finally rid of the captain and all of the personalized stuff from his personal sandbox was wiped, the ship didn't appear to change - it was still the USS Callister. That might have been intentional (it is the name of the episode), but I just don't get why all of the other visuals would have been reset to the default.

Crocodile - Damn. This shit was fucked up, but fascinating to watch. The main woman had to keep adding to her body-count, in order to keep her secrets - even murdering a child - but was ultimately caught because she left one witness to her final crime. A guinea pig.

Black Museum - Took me a while to get into this one, since it was almost it's own anthology series within this anthology series, but it pays off in the end. Near the end I did guess that the main girl was probably related to the man who was executed, but I didn't see that bit with her mom being in her head - nicely done. All the clues were there but I didn't even consider that that particular story would fit in at the end. Also, the pieces in the museum being from other episodes of Black Mirror, was a nice touch.

Hang the DJ - this is another one that I didn't really care for until the end. But once the twist was revealed, I thought it was quite clever. Just the idea that a dating site/app would run thousands of test scenarios with little virtual versions of two people, to determine their compatibility percentage, is a pretty neat concept. I get the feeling they wanted this to be this season's "San Junipero", but it's no where near as good. Though it is nice that there was another Black Mirror episode that had a "happy" ending.

Arkangel - There's nothing necessarily wrong with this, but I found it hard to like both the mom and the daughter, which meant the conflict didn't do much for me. I did like the idea of how damaging it can be to completely shield a child from all harmful/upsetting imagery, only to open the floodgates on that same type of content later.

Metalhead - Nothing wrong with this one either, but there just wasn't enough reason to care. Especially since this isn't a story of a piece of tech developed with the intention to help people - these people are already living in a post-apocalyptic wasteland, and happen to be hunted by killer robot "dogs". And then the twist - all those lives lost just to get a teddy bear? Sorry, that's dumb.

13. Ikkstakk

News Credits:
    I've only watched Callister so far. Trying to spread these out, make 'em last longer. Will post my thoughts on the whole season when I'm finished.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Predakwon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I watched the first 2 so far.

As always, the concept behind these eps touch disturbing close to what reality could be which is what makes this show great.

I thought US Callister was ok. A bit too predictable for me.

Arkangel, I liked this ep till the end
    I agree that point of shielding a child opens floodgates. My favorite part of the ep. However, I though the beating of the mom was a bit much. Maybe 1 or 2 smacks but not a full on beatdown with the tablet. It seems like she did love her mom

• Like Like x 1
  15. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

Yeah, now that I think about it bit more, I think I like both Crocodile and Black Museum, a bit more than USS Callister.

Regarding Arkangel:
    I think the point of the severe beatdown with the tablet, was to show that once the content settings blur out her mom's bloody face, she becomes completely detached.

16. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    It is really a fantastic show. I saw USS Callister and thought it was amazing. Can't wait to watch the rest.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Predakwon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    2 more eps down.

Crocodile:
    Ugh, I need a Robot Chicken marathon or some dumb ass Danny McBride movie after this one. Great ep, but what a freakin downer.

Hang the DJ:
    I always have to reserve my happiness for BM eps in case of a twisted ending, but this on had a cheery one. Much needed after the last ep

Man, I love this show.

• Like Like x 1
  18. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Watched the second one and thought it too was great. As a parent, that ep is so much more relatable and really shows what a parent would do to keep their child safe.

19. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    I'm into season 3 now.
    Fascinating series; about 99% of the technological progress / societal forecast is horrifying.

And the worst thing is.... real life societies are sort of steering towards, that.

• Like Like x 2
  20. allew

allew Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just watched the Black Mirror: Bandersnatch on Netflix, a special "Choose your own adventure" interactive episode with multiple endings. Thought it was kinda neat! Had to watch it on my computer as my tv couldn't play it.

The ending I got was:
    he finds his teddy bear and gets onto the train with his mom that's fated to crash

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    • Like Like x 1