Black Lightning the Tv Series

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Tekkaman Blade, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Arrow was trying to be more grounded than this show (not calling Green Arrow by his name and no superpowers until seasons 3 & 4), in this show he already has the name, costume and powers.

Let me ask you this do you like the Marvel Netflix shows?, becusce those are pretty grounded with the heroes dealing with family drama and mostly normal criminals. If anything Tobias Whale probably will be a meta that can fight BL or hires other metas to do it.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  2. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Is it weird that I'm looking forward more to the idea of crossovers with this show then the show itself?

3. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

Honestly, I haven't really watched any besides Daredevil. I will get around to watching them, eventually but they don't look appealing enough to be high priorities. Besides, this show has the added problem of being on the CW. Their track record is starting to not look so good, especially when it comes to sustaining quality. I'm not sure if Black Lightning's first season will be good but even if it is, it'll go downhill by season three, just like Arrow and Flash.

4. Michael Payton

Michael Payton Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I always wonder something when I read this complaint. Are you only a fan of superhero movies and video games or have you ever actually read a superhero comic? As far back as the 1960s, readers were just as invested in who Peter Parker was dating as they were investing in who Spider-Man was punching that month. X-men became the #1 franchise at Marvel for two decades by literally turning it into a soap opera. Scott Summers married an identical twin to his dearly departed Jean Grey. That's not a just plot from Days of our Lives, it was a superhero comic book. And it sold well. Very. Very. Very. Well.

Superhero comics are soap operas. They are filled with drama and romances. Why are you shocked that drama has followed these characters to the TV serial format?

5. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Because that type of unmanly writing was binned 20 years ago. Now superhero comics are all fist punching and bro-fisting. In other words all action no drama.

6. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    And that's what drove them into the ground and made them lose readers too. All action all the time, and all multi issues, muti series crossovers leads to reader fatigue. You need at least some of the personal life to show what the hero is fighting for. Marvel still has a lot of that and it's sales have been slumping compared to DC.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Sylent

Sylent Making Cybertron great again

Really? DC is pretty much the same in that everything is event-based and the short stories that develop characters and relationships have all but been eliminated.

As for Black Lightning, I will definitely give it a try. Couldn't be any worse than Supergirl. I'm not too crazy about his costume, though. I've seen cosplayers with better outfits. Hopefully, Static will make an appearance and get his own spin-off show eventually.

8. Megastar

News Credits:
    I wish people would stop asking for a Static show. It's never gonna happen becusce of the Milestone rights issues. Even the creator of BL doesn't want Static in the show.

9. Sylent

Milestone rights issues never stopped him from appearing in Young Justice or even Justice League Unlimited... and how do you know the creator doesn't want Static in the show? Do you have a source?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Megastar

News Credits:
    There where rumors that the Milestone characters in Young Justice lead to the shows cancellation and that when the show returns they won't be in it, DC also had rights issues with using BL in Static and had to make a new character, Soul Power. Static was only in two episodes of JLU and was in the early 2000s. Plus none of them have a ongoing comic so DC might not feel the need to include them.

Tony Isabella Is Against A Black Lightning/Static Shock Crossover

11. Autoboticon

Autoboticon In like a Bot, out like a Con

No I understand that and I do like drama, guess my main reasoning are probably the portrayal of Green Arrow completely, the acting on Super Girl and the repetitive story structures of legends just culminate into feeling like Riverdale. A poor rendition of the characters just so they can be tv drama edgy. Its just the acting for me.

The comics are the comics, the characters in them are the characters they're suppose to be, I can not get into Arrow cause it doesn't look or feel like Green Arrow to me, etc etc..

Just my opinion is all.

12. Sylent

Hmm... That's news to me. I don't know why it would be an annoyance, though. In the books, BL was a mentor to Static, and it's not as if fans are clamoring for him to be a sidekick. One appearance could serve as a spin-off, but I digress...

13. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    I'm looking forward to the inevitable formation of the Outsiders. Every one of the DC shows has a group of heroes. So there's no way it's not happening. I'd love to see Metamorpho, but I can't imagine they'd spend that kind of money on another CGI heavy main character. They already barely use Firestorm anymore. I would be shocked if they don't use Owlman, though.

How does DC not own the Milestone characters? Milestone was a DC imprint.

14. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

No Milestone media owns the Milestone characters.

15. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:

Actually since Rebirth they have been doing much less of that, while Marvel is going through Secret Empire another giant crossover.
    No, Diversity Didn't Kill Marvel's Comic Sales
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/07/books/marvel-comics-diversity-thor-hulk.html?_r=0

16. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Last edited: May 20, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Megastar

News Credits:
    There only doing that becusce of how well DC is doing with Rebirth.

18. Megastar

News Credits:
  19. Sylent

There are a great deal of commercial spots for this show. I hope it lives up to the hype and more than anything, sticks to the source material.

Still not a fan of that costume.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I might watch the first episode since it is going to premier with Flash, but I really see no need to get into another show at this point. I've got way too many.