Bionicle/Hero Factory Thread

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by SPLIT LIP, Jan 16, 2008.

?

which is better? Bionicle? or Hero factory?

1. Bionicle

81.2%
  2. Hero Factory

18.8%
  1. Necromaster

Necromaster FEAR ME MORTALS

News Credits:
    Sometimes I wonder what the original idea was for Makuta as opposed to what we ultimately got, because it feels like there are three very different versions of Teridax: the one from the MNOG, the one from MOL, and the one we got from basically 2005 onwards.

In the MNOG Makuta is less of a person and more of a force. There's this very heavy implication that he's more than just an individual, he's the essence of destruction that exists in all things. Makuta says as much in his encounter with the Toa. He is destruction. He is the void. He is an amorphous thing that can be whatever he so pleases, and he is nothingness that cannot be properly destroyed. The early comics also hint at this as he causes natural disasters from afar, as was the case with the sandstorm that he tried to use to kill Tahu.

Mask of Light is particularly fascinating because this version of Makuta seems to be under the impression that he's doing right by Mata Nui by keeping him asleep. "Sleep spares him pain. Awake, he suffers." It seems like he takes time to consider whether or not to unleash the Rahkshi before ultimately proceeding. This is a version of Makuta that is still very definitely a villian, but genuinely believes himself to be the hero of the story. "My duty is to the Mask of Shadows" sticks with me, making me only wonder what the greater implications were there. It's only after fusing with Takanuva to form Takutanuva that clarity seems to wash over him. Fused together, the two open the door to Metru Nui and manage to resurrect Jaller (definitely more Takanuva's will coming through at the last minute than anything else) before the weight of the door finally crushes them both.

And then there's the one that exists in the majority of the canon, which, frankly, is my least favorite take on the character. The master schemer to a ludicrous degree. I don't mind a villain that's smart, but when you have one that's got a plan this ridiculously convoluted it only reminds me of my least favorite take on Batman: the "I planned for everything ever and can beat anybody as long as I've got prep time" version. Don't get me wrong, this version of Teridax has his moments (he was tremendous in 2007 and him assuming control of the GSR at the end of the 2008 story was rightfully terrifying and awesome) but it felt to me like he's a character who always held all the cards and none of the heroes ever had a meaningful victory over them. (and yet in spite of all this planning for every conceivable scenario he couldn't account for a rock to the head)

Makuta was clearly intended to be a metaphor for a tumor, and I feel like MNOG/MOL Teridax would've had a far different destiny than the version we got in the books. Perhaps nothing as grandiose, but there's a big enough difference in world view that things could've gone down a path distinct from canon.

• Like Like x 1
  2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Makuta was clearly meant to be a more esoteric presence that would have been defeated at the end of the Mata Nui saga. Originally the great Spirit robot would've risen at the end of 2003, so Makuta's real purpose likely would've hewed closer to this evil force rather than an individual. I mean it wasn't until 2008 that Makuta as a species was even a thing. At the same time his defeat by Takanuva seemed entirely too small given he was, at that point, shown to be literally shadow so him persisting and plotting felt more in-line with the original infectious nature of the character.

It does make you wonder how the original ending of Bionicle would've played out, since the momentous reveal that virtually the entire universe we knew was contained within the robot is a lot more impressive than just a big robot under the island.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Handle):
    Galvanix: "Your immortality means nothing to me."
    Deviot: "You'll regret this!!"
    Galvanix: "Whatever.... Now to deal with this reality's version of the Hero Factory."

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  4. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I really wish the weather was nicer here so I could take some outdoor photos.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Jetbolt

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Handle):
    Galvanix: "So we meet again Stormer..."
    Stormer: "I've never... met you... before."
    Galvanix: "I'm the last thing your counterpart of my reality ever saw!"
    [​IMG]

Galvanix: "Farewell! Huh?! Oof!!"
    [​IMG]

Stormer: "Who are you and who was that?"
    Nova: "I'll inform you later. We need to get out of here now."
    [​IMG]

Galvanix: "Nova.... So she survived the assault on the Hero Factory complex and followed me into this reality too."
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  6. octobotimus

octobotimus Bad company ruins good morals

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Rip blitzwing, but here’s a few shots of the torso for how I made it.
    564030A8-7BE2-4D16-9220-F519E8578FF9.jpeg 3CB086CD-C540-444F-9696-AD55E0910891.jpeg
    564030A8-7BE2-4D16-9220-F519E8578FF9.jpeg BC0C3A1F-C399-46B8-9551-4CC43C776490.jpeg 3CB086CD-C540-444F-9696-AD55E0910891.jpeg F8894ED4-8284-47AE-AC70-AA27E786B209.jpeg 47B9F8A6-E438-4657-A9E1-D74BA01D2AE9.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  7. Sideways77

Sideways77 #1 flareup simp

News Credits:
    i may have bought two more mask/krana packs

• Like Like x 1
  8. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Some other time..

News Credits:
    048E8DE6-97F9-4DDD-817B-6AE25F7E61FC.png

• Like Like x 7
  9. Ejector369

Ejector369 Well-Known Member

10. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Some other time..

News Credits:
    IDK it’s not mine.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Scarlet knight

Scarlet knight Emergency Food Connoisseur

News Credits:
  12. Jetbolt

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Handle):
    Stormer: “So in your reality, myself and the others were these heroes created in a factory?”
    Nova: “Yes, the same with myself and Galvanix.”
    Stormer: “So why is he different?”
    Nova: “From what I understand, he despised helping those he saw as beneath him. He eventually started aiding those he was meant to capture. Which myself and his other squad mates witnessed. He then attacked us and I was the only survivor.”
    Stormer: “So how did Galvanix and yourself arrive in this reality?”
    Nova: “He united the criminal organisations and attacked the Hero Factory complex. During the onslaught, I saw him standing in front of a portal in the research lab. Then your counterpart confronted him and the two fought. He killed the Stormer I knew and entered the portal. I fought my way forward and went into the portal after him. I’ve now been in this reality for six months. Given the time, he’s probably gained intel on your Hazard Unit. Along with gaining influence in the ranks of your enemies.”
    [​IMG]

Stormer: "What is it Bulk?"
    Bulk: "Surge just contacted us saying Furno, Nex, and himself were being attacked by this unknown figure."
    Nova: "It has to be Galvanix..."
    [​IMG]

Galvanix: "I honestly didn't expect you to be even more pathetic than the Hero Factory counterparts of my reality. I guess I'm even wrong at times. Hmm? Still have more fight in you Nex? I'll fix that oversight..."
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  13. Megatron118

Megatron118 Excelsior! Moderator

News Credits:
    Did you cut the skrall head in half?

14. Scarlet knight

News Credits:
    He did.

15. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Speaking of cutting parts, I'm still struggling with just what to do with the hideous adaptive Kaukau, and I think I can maybe salvage the original with some strategic removal of plastic:

KaukauNuva.png

Problem is I'd have to buy a new Kaukau Nuva, and I don't really want to do that. I could just modify the one I have, but if I mess up I have no other options. I also want to paint it the dark azure of G2 Gali, since there's not enough dark blue HF shells, but I'm not sure about that now, either. Thoughts?

• Like Like x 2
  16. Sideways77

Sideways77 #1 flareup simp

News Credits:
    no doubles!

[​IMG]

the kakama and miru look so good in gold. and the purple krana is really cool too!

• Like Like x 2
  17. Scarlet knight

News Credits:
    I really like the one in the middle.

• Like Like x 1
  18. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Yeah, that's what I'm leaning towards. It'd also be the "easiest."

However, I've since decided I may dust off my sculpting skills and try and modify a great Huna. Close off the opening into just one eye, add the "nose bridge" down the center, and duplicate/harvest the eyepiece from the actual Kaukau, maybe make other smaller changes to further distinguish it. (I mean, using "resculpted" masks has precedence in Bionicle, all the way back to the original Kaukau Nuva being sculpted right off the original Hau)

It also helps that I already have a spare Huna, unlike the adaptive Kaukau Nuva.

• Like Like x 1
  19. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Bricklink orders came in, so I finally have Krika:

upload_2021-3-12_22-7-57.png

Along with that I have a better chest piece for Gali Mistika. Also gave her the cape/coat thing from her prototype after seeing it in the animations I posted before:

upload_2021-3-12_22-7-30.png

And Mistika Tahu:

upload_2021-3-12_22-7-9.png

As well as some small tweaks to Gorast. Basically all to make her feel like a more substantial canister set. Now I have all six 2008 Makuta!

upload_2021-3-12_22-8-31.png

• Like Like x 5
  20. Beastwarsfan95

Beastwarsfan95 Also known as Cheese House

News Credits:
    “Two Hands”

966A941F-BAD1-46CB-8380-CC796E5CC3C6.jpeg 5EA0B979-3C7E-4FC5-BDF2-787EBA221561.jpeg

• Like Like x 4